externalHD + 1gig Stk + usb + pwr brick + wall charger = OMG

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Noverca1is

externalHD + 1gig Stk + usb + pwr brick + wall charger = OMG

Post by Noverca1is »

From psphacker.com main new:
source/credit from: dapreview

link: http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.1573

""...I have an idea that the PSP is going to work beautifully with my X5. I have tons of MP3 players littering my house but the Cowon iAudio X5 is special because it has a USB Host function. That means I can connect the PSP and X5 directly together, and transfer files back and forth. It has been tested and works as expected. While the PSP is always going to have limited storage capacity, the X5 has a 20gb hard drive. And you can get them in 30gb and 60gb models. A 1gb stick in the PSP is enough to hold a full-length DVD that's been properly compressed into MP4. With the X5, you can store several MP4 movies on its hard drive and change out the video that's stored on the PSP, wherever you are, without a PC. Figure 300mb for a 1-hour TV show and twice that for a movie, after being converted to a screen resolution and framerate that works on the PSP."

---------------------------------------------------------------

HOWEVER, this news came from today, I have known of another one:

From PSPFORUMS.com
Link: http://www.pspforums.com/forums/externa ... t2277.html

Well, I went ahead and ordered one. A few people claim to have them working, and it looks legit to me, so we will see.

Ill report back when I get everything together to confirm it works. Here are the links:

Enclosure w/ 40gb hard drive $149:
http://www.supermediastore.com/apacer-s ... drive.html

Enclosure w/o hard drive $65:
http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp ... &src=IMFRO

I bought the enclosure without the hard drive, as I have one that I can use already. The scoop on the device is that it supports USB 2.0 On-the-go technology, which is what lets it connect to cameras, mp3 players, etc, to backup files. Unlike the rest of the similar devices on the market, this one has an LCD screen on it and buttons so you can transfer files from the hard drive to the device as well. Normally they are backup only. This would let you copy files to and from the memory stick on the PSP.
Follow Up on the entire forum, he has confirmed it works.

----------------------------------------

Overall:

Not knowing much on the X5 version, I just recently purchased the Apacer cd311 for one thing that sold me.. it too has its own baterry Life.

Now I have thought of something that will make the PSP the ultimate handheld device multimedia outlet with several of the items combined:

- Apacer cd311 40 gig HD + 1 gig Memory Stick =
I can replace my movies back n forth anytime anywhere.

ALso inclide the minisynch usb + Wall Plug/USB converter:
items are located here:

minisynch: http://www.boxwave.com/products/minisyn ... 556_28.htm

wall charge for mini synch
http://www.boxwave.com/products/wallcharger/index.htm

Which basically recharge baterry and continue to use the PSP. AND RETRACBLE o0 0o o0 0o!!!......

****(Also, it would be AWESOME if someone can make a converter using the minisynch to attach to the Apacer Cd311 and/or to a pelican power brick)*****

in addtional - Pelican Power Brick for even more Life
When low on baterry, reserve to the Power Brick.

*****(also, if someone can create a converter from:
Power Brick to Apacer, so when the apacer own baterry is out, you can also recharge the apacer, than use the minisych to recharge the power brick)******

------------------------

THIS IS AN IDEA, NOTHING MORE... IF ONLY

Lasty, A Dream Converter that needs to be created, as stated above with several others:

If it was only possible to Put the apacer diectly to the PSP without going to Memory stick, so we can boot from Apacer and play the movies off the apacer cd311.

If that is possible, can it also be possible to crack the firmware version 1.5 by tricking it:

putting a firmware in the apacer, than have it boot from apacer, the psp will read it, believing its the psp with firmware 1.0 than botting the game.. or something along those line... so basically, when apacer not directly connected to PSP, its 1.5, when it is, it will pretend to be 1.0?...

OH YEAH... APACER IS SMALLER THAN X5, so this all still fits in your pouch/bags if you own one...

THOUGHTS COMMENT SUGGESTION ARE WELCOME.. NO FLAMES, I have alot of gas so I wouldnt recommand it.
dont kick the newbie
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

This is off-topic.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Yes. We all want ipods.
Noverca1is

Post by Noverca1is »

how is this off topic and not general since its related to psp items.

as far as calling it an ipod, I must disagree.

I think this gadget can provide uncompressed files hopefully in the near future if a converter is created that goes from the HD directly to the PSP without going to the memory stick.

People who are into the film business, pushing a film, short, commercials, anime music video, it is a form to impressive the finicial people with this sort of package it can bring.

Also having 40 gig on the go, there are some professions im sure that can benefit having that much space for business work related issues that can utilize this. This is more than just a game machine.
dont kick the newbie
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

With the work involved, cost of parts and general cobbled-together look you'd be better off with a cheap laptop if you want to keep that professional appearance required for people in the 'business'...

...or fork over the cash and get a larger memorystick. Expense it. Get several cards, one for each presentation.

This is just a solution in search of a problem. It is sticking pieces together with no regard for the usefulness of the end result.

What's next, a 12" subwoofer you can carry in a backpack for loud gaming on the go? Be sure to add that battery-pack belt!

Sheesh.
SchmuckofNI

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Why do I have this god awful feeling this is going to look like one of those e helmet thingies on Aqua Teen Hunger Force? lol
Noverca1is

Post by Noverca1is »

psp = 250
Apacer - 150
memory stick 1 gig - 115

total: 515 - 550 with tax shipping...

mini synch and wall charger optional, power brick optional

50+15 = 65-75 tax/shipping.

psp w/ apacer vs laptop:

PSP:
cheaper, fancier, has browser/internet
can play PSP games, watch movies, play music, can play Emulators, GPS poential, and other future potnetials it can be turned into such as tv, Remote control access..

Laptop: bigger screen, Money issue for a decent laptop, internet, plays back movies, music, can play emulators.

Laptop cant play back PSP games unless emulator comes out for it.

everything a laptop could do, a PSP can do it and some more for an approx price of 515 to 550.

------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the apacer looks, there is a pic on the link I provided with it, and it looks nice. You can easily crate a "Holder" with Velcro from the PSP UMD door with the apacer. It doesnt look bad at all..

Hopefully within time, if this item combo becomees HOT, you know someone wil make a Case that as if it is ONE unit, PSP + Apacer on the back and still be able to play it off the silicone caseing proctection.
dont kick the newbie
fashidus

Post by fashidus »

Noverca1is wrote:everything a laptop could do, a PSP can do it and some more for an approx price of 515 to 550.
Moron alert.... a PSP cannot do shit compared to a laptop... Go ahead, fire up MS Office, a VNC server & client, an online MMORPG, and also burn a music cd-rom.... on your psp... right..
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

fashidus wrote:
Noverca1is wrote:everything a laptop could do, a PSP can do it and some more for an approx price of 515 to 550.
Moron alert.... a PSP cannot do shit compared to a laptop... Go ahead, fire up MS Office, a VNC server & client, an online MMORPG, and also burn a music cd-rom.... on your psp... right..
Not really wanting to add fuel to the fire .. but you can buy sub-$500 laptops at Walmart. These include a DVD player. I think for a bit more you get more RAM and WiFi.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Here's a nice, cheap, and powerful laptop for you:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/product ... inspn_2200

Dell Inspiron 2200 - $549

...and that was with about 15 seconds on google.
nilum

Post by nilum »

I think we are all looking for that small device that integrates everything we need into one easy-to-use package. Currently PDAs are being replaced by portable media devices, with more storage, higher resolution displays, but lacking features such as a stylus and touch sensitive displays or thumb keyboard. Problem with laptops are they are still bulky, and to get something with a display that offers good clarity, battery life, and small formfactor you still tend to pay closer to $1000. Laptops like HPs dv1000 series are great laptops for multimedia but you won't find one in the $500 price range.

I don't want to have to carry around a cellphone, a PDA, a laptop, an MP3 player, and a PSP even though I have all these things and they are all mobile. Eventually there will be only one mobile device you will need. Hopefully the PSPs true potential will be realized. 3G addon, bluetooth headset, digital camera accessory all seem like possibilities. And who needs a keypad when there are tons of possibilities for voice recognition software. Even now you can use voice commands to operate browsers, and if sony does create some sort of bluetooth/3G support to the PSP it may include this.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Convergence is silly when a device can't do ANYTHING well.
nilum

Post by nilum »

ooPo wrote:Convergence is silly when a device can't do ANYTHING well.
The PSP can't do anything well? It has built-in limitations which may eventually be circumvented.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Perhaps I should have written 'everything' instead as it was what I meant. :)

If you need to staple an external harddrive to make up for what you perceive as a shortcoming, well... good luck to you.

Personally, I'm happy with the game playing ability of my PSP, the music playing/capacity ability of my ipod, the computing ability of my ibook, and the communication ability of my cellphone. Each works very well for the task it is given.

One backpack carries all if need be, but chances are all I need is the phone... so I rarely carry everything.

I still don't understand the practical need for one device to do everything, especially when you see the lengths people will go to do it.
nilum

Post by nilum »

ooPo wrote:Perhaps I should have written 'everything' instead as it was what I meant. :)

If you need to staple an external harddrive to make up for what you perceive as a shortcoming, well... good luck to you.

Personally, I'm happy with the game playing ability of my PSP, the music playing/capacity ability of my ipod, the computing ability of my ibook, and the communication ability of my cellphone. Each works very well for the task it is given.

One backpack carries all if need be, but chances are all I need is the phone... so I rarely carry everything.

I still don't understand the practical need for one device to do everything, especially when you see the lengths people will go to do it.
Convenience possibly?
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Wake me when they get it right.
Noverca1is

Post by Noverca1is »

well, I just recieved all this items, total of 500

the transfer rate of switchign 700mb movies from psp to the externa HD is approx 4-5 mins.

I go to work, I put on my wireless headset on and play my music from the PSP while biking to work.
Sweet, I got my own mp3 player now.

I have TWO 30 minute break... great I get to watch 2 episodes of an anime series which is approx 24 mins, minus 2 mins of starting and ending credit = 22 min.. 8 min getting my food, clocking out, walking to my location.

great I got a "dvd" player... im just using the word dvd player as a term, not literally...

if not, I got this machine that can play SNES, GBC, Sega, and psp games...

if only I had a hotspot, I pop in my wipeout and be typign this from my psp.

Im very happy with the potential this is. And it is going to get better in the future.
---------------

OFF TOPIC: I have renamed my PSP, sicne I dislike Sony still.

Logitech playgear case with a Skin that reads: GameGear2
dont kick the newbie
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Bonus points for the classic system fun.
Noverca1is

Post by Noverca1is »

yea firmware 1.0 woot..
playing:

SUPER KNOCKOUT!!!!!!!
dont kick the newbie