Javascript OS

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

dregin

Javascript OS

Post by dregin »

From Slashdot:
slummy writes " JS/UIX 'is an UNIX-like OS for standard web-browsers, written entirely in JavaScript (no plug-ins used). It comprises a virtual machine, shell, virtual file-system, process-management, and brings its own terminal with screen- and keyboard-mapping.' If only you didn't need an OS to run the web browser on."
Would this be useful on the PSP since it would run from the browser?

(It would seem that the site has been "slashdotted", it will probably be accessable in a few hours)

I've cross posted this to ps2nfo.
A Minor Threat

Re: Javascript OS

Post by Guest »

dregin wrote:I've cross posted this to ps2nfo.
Don't forget to tell them you are cross-posting to PS2DEV. :)
dregin

Post by dregin »

Nah I can deal with mindless flaming on one forum. Just not on two at the same time ;)

This actually only has one app to date, Vi, which in itself is quite useful but I was hoping it would be usable for some networking utilities such as SSH, but on reading the Slashdot comments apparently it's not as complete as I'd hoped.
A Minor Threat
Scubix

Re: Javascript OS

Post by Scubix »

dregin wrote:From Slashdot:
slummy writes " JS/UIX 'is an UNIX-like OS for standard web-browsers, written entirely in JavaScript (no plug-ins used). It comprises a virtual machine, shell, virtual file-system, process-management, and brings its own terminal with screen- and keyboard-mapping.' If only you didn't need an OS to run the web browser on."
Would this be useful on the PSP since it would run from the browser?

(It would seem that the site has been "slashdotted", it will probably be accessable in a few hours)

I've cross posted this to ps2nfo.
Usefull to do what ? Just think about what you're saying. It has no support for the hardware at all. It can't do anything....
wulf

Post by wulf »

/\
|_ Don't listen to him, it still has uses... remotely controlling your home pc, for instance.. or writing text files, or any # of things.. and if I read it correctly, it only needs a javascript-enabled web browser to run...
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Off-topic, moved.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Is the wipeout browser javascript-enabled, has anyone tested it yet?