linux distros

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

breakfastcereal

linux distros

Post by breakfastcereal »

sorry to ask a stupid question for my first post, but I searched and didn't exactly find a similar topic. I'm building myself an extra computer to run linux, and learn a bit of programming. My goal is to make simple PSP programs, but my c/c++ is pretty limited, so I have some learning to do.

My question is what linux distro is good for coding? I'm not very experienced with linux, I've booted up knoppix for awhile but I was just using KDE desktop so its pretty basic. I was probably going to install Debian or Slackware later today. Just thought I'd get some suggestions before I get started.
wulf

Post by wulf »

pretty much any install will be fine for deving, as long as you can compile stuff..
personally I suggest debian as it's very easy to get new progs and stuff to work without a lot of dependancy headaches.. synapticpackage manager is where it's at..
.later.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

If your new, then I'd start with any of these (in this order):

Ubuntu (It's what I use)
Fedora Core 4 (The home-user redhat)
Suse
Mandrake

Those are good first-time-linux distro's, get you use to using a linux box, w/o a lot of frustrations.

All of these packages have good package management.
Lego of my Ago!
breakfastcereal

Thanks for the tips guys. Now have mandrake up and running, and am going through all the generic newbie troubles of installing software and such :P I will have have to check out ubuntu, I had never heard of it. Thanks again, and watch our for my sweeeet PSP progs....sometime next year ;)

edit: <off topic> nice avatar! Trogdor was a man.... </off>
breakfastcereal

sry to dig up my own thread, but I'd just like to mention that I've switched to debian, and I love it. It is a bit more difficult and progress comes more slowly since I have to ask google about alot of problems, but I'm overall learning more, and finding out that apt-get is a magic word. I'd just like to suggest debian to anybody reading this even if your new, at least for the learning experience. Don't be afraid, Google knows everything ;)