3D on a psp screen

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

booger

3D on a psp screen

Post by booger »

I was going to look into this idea that I had, but I just don't have the time. I'd really hate to see the idea go to waste, so I'm putting it up for anyone to develop who wants to.

You could make a 3D game without the 3D glasses on the psp by applying a lenticular lens as a screen cover. By 3D, I mean an image that pops out of the screen and appears to have depth. If you don't know what a lenticular lens is, it's a thin piece of plastic that has vertical grooves cut into it. This allows each eye to see a different part of the screen.

All you'd have to do then is have two rendering passes. One for odd and one for even vertical lines. They use a similar idea with the 3D computer monitors that are out now.

You can also make still 3d images by taking two camera pictures slightly to the side of each other and interpolating the images vertically in Photoshop. Then view the new image with the lenticular lens in place. This is as far as I've gotten with my experiments.

Anyway, feel free to run with the idea... or not. I just had to put it out there. It's something I'd be interested in seeing developed, but just don't have the time for.