USB Drive to PSP?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Gutspiller

USB Drive to PSP?

Post by Gutspiller »

I haven't heard anything about this, but was curious if something like this is even possible? To connect a USB flash drive through the USB PSP connection and send stuff to and retreive stuff from a cheaper USB flash drive would have promise and could be used to store data while on the go.

Just an idea that perhaps somebody with the skills could look into. Seems probable, but would likely require a hardware hack to trick the PSP into thinking the flash drive was a full computer.
wulf

Post by wulf »

Sorry, nope... take a search of this site and you will notice a bunch of threads that deal with this issue.
Danj

Post by Danj »

The problem you've got is that the PSP is a USB target, not a USB host. That means that you can't attach any target devices (like USB flash drives) to it. Your best bet is probably to get something like the X-Drive III which is basically a cross between a portable hard drive and a memory card reader/writer. You'd need an adaptor for your MS Duo/Pro Duo but if you get the regular Sandisk cards instead of the Gaming Edition ones you get one bundled with them.
Dan Jackson
Legolover

Post by Legolover »

Even so, the PSP USB interface is only active when in the USB menu.

Now, what I would like to see, is a HD (20-60GB) as used in current MP3 players, but with a Memory Stick Duo interface. Wouldn't that be neat? The PSP wouldn't know the difference.

Another cool gadget would be a MS with som hundreds of MB + a WiFi for streaming data.

Well, both wishful thinking I'm afraid. The need for such gadgets will evaporate as soon as Sony provides a mediaplayer for streaming over the built-in WiFi interface, preferably as part of the FW.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

The USB port can enter host mode I am sure, due to the peripherals soon coming.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

zigzag wrote:The USB port can enter host mode I am sure, due to the peripherals soon coming.
How do you know the host chip isn't in the peripherals?
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Warren

Post by Warren »

It has already been confirmed by Sony that the USB peripherals will act as USB hosts.

Please don't let another thread run away with lamers who can't bother to get the message.
StrontiumDog

Post by StrontiumDog »

Drakonite wrote:
zigzag wrote:The USB port can enter host mode I am sure, due to the peripherals soon coming.
How do you know the host chip isn't in the peripherals?
Thats an easy one. The PSP will able to be a Host port, because it will need to provide power on the USB bus to the peripheral (Camera, KB, or whatever). Only hosts (or hubs, which are hosts to their down stream connections) provide power on the bus to peripherals.. Otherwise all the peripherals will need their own batteries, which would suck big time.

It will be a USB OTG connection with bus power switching. The PSP does not (to my knowledge) source power from the USB bus when it is connected in "peripheral" mode. Unless sony have a half cocked up version of USB where a peripheral provides power for a host (which would fly in the face of all the standards).
Gutspiller

Post by Gutspiller »

Well after posting this thread, I did come across this: http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.1573

Looks like it's somewhat possible right now if you want to fork over the money for a player that has a hard drive. Sounds like hard drive PSP accessories could be coming though that allow your PSP to connect to a large hard drive and access it for movies and whatnot.
nilum

Post by nilum »

That's pretty interesting. I couldn't imagine carrying around both though, seems a little redundant. Wish they would just make a Hard Drive backpack for the PSP. Something that clips on and doesn't add much weight, which might have it's own internal power source so it doesn't drain the PSP's battery. It might even double as some sort of backup battery. I couldn't imagine making my PSP anymore bulky though :(. If you've ever seen the card-sized hard drives that Hitachi makes for iPods though, it really wouldn't be that big. It would only have to be a few centimeters thick.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Fruitless threads such as these are off-topic.