Anyone know where I can get a KVM switch cheap?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

jboldiga

Anyone know where I can get a KVM switch cheap?

Post by jboldiga »

I need a a kvm switch for my linux and osx box but I really dont want to spend a lot ( < $75). Can anyone recommend any or a place that sells at a decent price? Thanks.
Mak0

Post by Mak0 »

heres the cheapest one I could find:

$12.00 after rebate

http://www.3gplaza.com/estore/control/C ... srccode=PW
pixel

Post by pixel »

Be careful: you say OSX, so I guess, apple, which doesn't use ps/2 connectors. You'll need usb kvm, or ps/2 km to usb converters (I am using one with a ps/2 kvm)
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

pixel wrote: or ps/2 km to usb converters
Some KVM's don't allow you to convert ps2->usb and vice versa... I learned that the hard way. It doesn't detect them if you do it... but some newer ones do.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Depends on the usb converter. Mine costed about $16 and has a whole usb chip in it to create HID devices: http://www.trendnet.com/en/products/TU-PS2.htm Otherwise, yeah, other converters won't really work.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
jboldiga

Post by jboldiga »

Cool thanks guys. I am gonna check out that usb converter you mentioned pixel. I have used other usb converters and they didnt work (crappy little ones they sell at any electronics store) perhaps I will have better luck with this one.
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »