Europe PSP UMD Movies require firmware update :(

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

steddy

Europe PSP UMD Movies require firmware update :(

Post by steddy »

I just bought and tried to play Dawn of the Dead on my Jap 1.50 PSP (Both Region 2) and it reported I needed to upgrade the firmware to play it :(

That really sucks Sony. Not that I will ever buy more than one movie anyway, but I did wanna see the quality.

I wonder if any of the version changers can help me with this? I don't wanna give up my homebrew.

Steddy
Arwin

Re: Europe PSP UMD Movies require firmware update :(

Post by Arwin »

steddy wrote:I just bought and tried to play Dawn of the Dead on my Jap 1.50 PSP (Both Region 2) and it reported I needed to upgrade the firmware to play it :(

That really sucks Sony. Not that I will ever buy more than one movie anyway, but I did wanna see the quality.

I wonder if any of the version changers can help me with this? I don't wanna give up my homebrew.

Steddy
I'm a bit scared to use the version changer, but from the looks of it, it should work.

Thanks for sharing this info, that makes me happy I haven't bought a movie in the stores here just yet. Annoying, that.
steddy

Post by steddy »

The version changer doesn't work :(

It does change the REPORTED version to 1.52, and the disk no longer reports it needs an upgrade. Instead it just reports the disk cannot be played.

This is with the version changer 2.5 from WAB. Should be safe so long as you set it back to the original version if you ever do a firmware upgrade.

Steddy
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

steddy wrote:The version changer doesn't work :(

It does change the REPORTED version to 1.52, and the disk no longer reports it needs an upgrade. Instead it just reports the disk cannot be played.

This is with the version changer 2.5 from WAB. Should be safe so long as you set it back to the original version if you ever do a firmware upgrade.

Steddy
That blows! :(
Alex Atkin UK

Post by Alex Atkin UK »

That is freaky considering I thought UMD movies were using the AVC codec before version 2.0 firmware anyway?

Perhaps in pre 2.0 firmware the codec was contained on the UMD and now it relies on the firmware to support it instead?
gorim

Post by gorim »

On the same note, FFVII: Advent Children UMD also requires 2.0 firmware before playing on the JPN PSP.

From now on I will not buy any UMD titles that require firmware upgrades. Heck, probably not many more new games I can buy either...