Broken ribbon cable

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

ianfinder

Broken ribbon cable

Post by ianfinder »

Ok. First off, GREAT site! I got a PS2, and I generally don't play games-- I write 'em! I'd love to get started with this stuff ASAP, but I accidentally broke the ribbon cable connecting the controler/mem. card slots to the Mo-bo. I think this is a version 5/6 (Model number 30001 R). Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I know it's kind of a non-sequiter, sorry!

Also...
My uncle works for ea up in canada, and I got a tour. They have the official devkits with these big (much larger than normal) PS2s that hook up to their PCs. Does anyone have one of these (strictly out of curiosity)

Thanks in advance,
I hope to participate in this community after I fix this!

Ian Finder

Post by Guest »

www.lik-sang.com sells a plethora of ps2 ribbon cables
and other sundry repair parts, and tons of cool hw in
general. Its based in Hong Kong
but they are an established internet business. If I somehow
don't manage to put my SCPH30000 back together, I will
sell you mine for $50 :)

Any person in this community thats a professional
developer likely has a devkit at work, but most of the effort
here is to be able to do things *without* the devkit, as
likely no one here wants to spend a couple million on
one. (Well, a couple million Yen :)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Re: Broken ribbon cable

Post by Drakonite »

ianfinder wrote:They have the official devkits with these big (much larger than normal) PS2s that hook up to their PCs. Does anyone have one of these (strictly out of curiosity)
The infamous TOOL.... Only development houses have those.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
dagamer34

Post by dagamer34 »

ianfinder wrote:My uncle works for ea up in canada, and I got a tour. They have the official devkits with these big (much larger than normal) PS2s that hook up to their PCs. Does anyone have one of these (strictly out of curiosity)
You make me jealous, you know. And no, none of us have those. Like gorim said, we are all about not using those official devkits, but if I won the Texas Lottery, I would be buying one of those in a heartbeat or less!

Lucky you!!!
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++; :P
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Maybe it's the unholy rule the TOOL has over my life, but I have to chime in and gloat here: I have a TOOL sitting next to me on my desk. It's big and beefy and makes a lot of noise....

...That being said, hardware-wise, the ps2dev setup is not missing much at all. The real strength of the TOOL comes from the software debugging tools that run on the PC host. Yes, it has more RAM, but anyone with a Network Adapter using ps2link has exactly the same amount of control over their PS2 as I have over my TOOL.

The only thing I miss at home on my consumer PS2 is not having a fully-featured debugger. If ps2dev ever gets that going, everyone will have a TOOL :). Besides, at home I have a working serial port, which gives me even greater control, as I can control the EE without going through the IOP. TOOLs can't do that :).
dagamer34

Post by dagamer34 »

mrbrown wrote:Maybe it's the unholy rule the TOOL has over my life, but I have to chime in and gloat here: I have a TOOL sitting next to me on my desk. It's big and beefy and makes a lot of noise....
:) Wish I had the TOOL! But developing without it is ok too.
while (your_engine >= my_engine)
my_engine++; :P