Home Brew Booting

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

taz030485

Home Brew Booting

Post by taz030485 »

I'M A NOOB and I'M LAZY (I didn't do any searches!)

I want to know the easiest way to boot up home brew stuff.
I have already read guides about the independence exploit, demo swap, etc.

This is everything I currently own:
PS2 (not sure about model num. Will check.)
AR2 V2
2 * Mem card
NO modchip!!! (As it is illigel in Australia)
NO cd-rom based demos

With all of this how can I boot some home brew?

The indp. exploit will probibly be the best I just need a way of getting it on my mem card.

:) Any help will be helpful. :)

Also I've noticed that my PS2 can read my audio CD-R is this normal?
And if I buy the Usb cable (PL???) can it be used with the X-port V2?
If I want to load up say a cd of roms for the Sega master system how can I do that if I need the PS1 disk in for the exploit to work?

Sorry if I'm Such a LAZY noob.
It's just I've spent days searching other forums and found nothing, so I'm asking straight away to save time :)
pixel

Re: Home Brew Booting

Post by pixel »

taz030485 wrote:1.
I'M A NOOB and I'M LAZY (I didn't do any searches!)
That's baaaaaaaad. You just infranged the first rule ever over here. Please have a look at http://ps2dev.org and look a bit for the tutorials. Also, you can read other threads on this forum. I'll just reply to a few questions that you might not find an easy answer.
taz030485 wrote:Also I've noticed that my PS2 can read my audio CD-R is this normal?
Yes. That's even a "well known" trick. But you can't use that trick right now. You at least have to bootstrap your system with the PS2 independance exploit, and put ps2menu on your memory card.
taz030485 wrote:And if I buy the Usb cable (PL???) can it be used with the X-port V2?
Yes. Just buy a PL2301 cable, and, thanks to your AR2v2, just go download the X-Port v2 software on datel's website and it will work as if it was a X-Port cable. Yeah, really.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
taz030485

Post by taz030485 »

I've looked at the tuts and other threads, it's just none of them were specific to what I have or don't have in some cases.
I just posted this to get some clarification.

So all I'll need to do is buy the Usb cable.
Send the xploit over.
And run a link program, etc.

A couple more Q's

Anyone else from Aus now where to get the cable?
How do I send the xploit?
And What exactly does PS2menu do?

While Waiting I'll search for myself.
mharris

Post by mharris »

I strongly advise using the network adaptor with ps2link rather than the USB cable and naplink. You'll get more use out of the network adaptor IMHO.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

taz030485 wrote: How do I send the xploit?
And What exactly does PS2menu do?
To setup the exploit you need a way to copy a specially made file to your memory card. A commercially available tool such as the xport, or a friend with a modchip are probably the easiest ways.

ps2menu is a menu that lets you browse the files on your MemoryCard/HDD/Cdrom and can launch homebrew stored in one of those locations.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
taz030485

Post by taz030485 »

Currently I do not have the network adapter and the usb cable is cheaper.

To load homebrew from a cd it needs to be in the drive and to load the xploit a PS1 game has to be in. Can I remove the PS1 game as soon as the xploit has loaded or does it have to be in the drive the hole time.

Also can the PS2 read multi-session CD-Rs?

Does anyone know where is Australia I can get a PL2301 cable from?
elvis

Post by elvis »

The Gamesmen are a retailer in sydney that sells the xport2 for under $43 (online price only). Store price is $50. Take a guess at their URL. All other Oz retailers I found sell it for $89. So a good deal no less.

I'm in Melbourne. Ordered on the other week. Took a whole week (as advertised) to get here. You have quicker delivery options if you are in Sydney.
taz030485

Post by taz030485 »

I'm in Brisbane so I'd have to order from the site.

But is the cable the right one, because on a different thread I found this
You can use the Sharkport (aka Xport) to setup the ps2-independence exploit to let you run your code on the ps2. You can get the tools for modifying a Sharkport/Xport save file at www.ps2savetools.com

There are two different hardware versions of the Sharkport, one uses a Prolific PL2301 chip, the other uses a Cypress AN2720 chip. If you are lucky enough to have one of the PL2301 cables then the cable will also work with the naplink loader. The easiest way to tell which you have is to open the cable and check; they are mindnumbingly easy to open, you just need either good eyesight or a magnifying glass to read the number on the chip.
If I purchase on will I be guarunteed to get the PL2301?

Thanks for your help.
elvis

Post by elvis »

Haven't tried it yet so I cannot confirm.

I'm running thru the FAQ on the PS2SaveTools site tonight which allows me to run Naplink from my Memory Card.

I guess if I get it working, all I can tell you is that there is a good chance you'll get the same cable as mine.

I'll let you know if I have any success. Hopefully wont take me longer than tonight to confirm, but I am new to all this stuff myself.

:D

Post by Guest »

:!: Naplink v1.1.0 without the irx booted from memory card don't launch ps2link, ps2menu or similar for me (I needed to launch Naplink v1.0.1 from Cd, i am modded)

If someone know why, or you'll experience the same elvis (If you use the last version, the old with irx work i think)
elvis

Post by elvis »

Well the news is good. It appears that the XPort2 that I received last week from Gamesmen is indeed PL2301!

My job was made a lot easier with the MCLoader/Naplink Xport save on PS2SaveTools. http://www.ps2savetools.com/download.ph ... port_saves

Not only is it already configured for PAL systems, but the title.db includes GT2 which I have used previously to boot from when I made my own title.db to test PGEN out.

The save above uses NapLink 1.0.1 on the PS2. I used NapClient 1.0.2 on the PC side. Note, you do have to change the driver for the XLink (device name/driver that Xport uses) to the NapDrv for the PL2301 from the napalm site (used Update driver feature in device manager). Until that time, the PC client didn't know the cable existed, but the PS2 did as it read Cable: ready

Within minutes I tested PS2 mame by executing it thru NapClient. The news got better for me, as the first game I tested was wonderboy (wboy), one of my all time favorites. While not expecting much, I got a constant 100% game speed with sound and FM emulation ON. Like WOW! Tested a few other games and got varing results. Still stoked wonderboy runs as well as it does!

While nothing is certian, I think you can safefully assume if you purchase the Xport2 from Gamesmen you'll get a PL2301 capable cable. I took the gamble, but for $40 or so dollars, I thought I couldn't loose either way considering what Xport2 allows you to do natively, and the fact the a official memory card is more expensive!

EDIT: Expect the delivery of the item to be 1 week as advertised on the site. My order was shipped the same day, and took a full week to get to me. The wait was a tad painfull... thanks AusPost! :P
taz030485

Post by taz030485 »

Thanx for the info.
I'll look ino getting the x-port asap.

Also I previously asked about the CD drive and the independence exploit.
Basicly can I take the PS1 game out and put a different CD in after the xploit has loaded?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

taz030485 wrote:Thanx for the info.
I'll look ino getting the x-port asap.

Also I previously asked about the CD drive and the independence exploit.
Basicly can I take the PS1 game out and put a different CD in after the xploit has loaded?
Yes, however the PS2 won't read CDrs.

Also... There is no guarentee you'll get a pl2301 cable when you order the xport. The chances of getting one if buying from the same place someone else got a pl2301 from withing a short enough time to be getting from the store's same stock delivery is pretty good though.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
taz030485

Post by taz030485 »

Drakonite wrote: Yes, however the PS2 won't read CDrs.
Mine does. As I said earlier mine reads udio CDrs so data sould be ok if I can get PS2menu installed.

Thanx for all your help everyone.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

taz030485 wrote:
Drakonite wrote: Yes, however the PS2 won't read CDrs.
Mine does. As I said earlier mine reads udio CDrs so data sould be ok if I can get PS2menu installed.

Thanx for all your help everyone.
I should have been more specific. The PS2 does not read data cdrs. Audio cdrs it will read, but not data.

A little while ago, I had written some things for creating and reading special data cdrs, which I called UMCDR, had arranged for a few apps such as PS2MENU and PGEN to be released, and offered to personally do the small bit of work to add UMCDR support to some other projects; however between having some of my work ripped off and a constant barrage of people proding me for information and/or wanting me to make it do warez, the decision was made to take down the website for at least a while.
I didn't want to be one of these people who falsely claim to have written something 6 months ago but say they aren't releasing it because someone called them a name a couple weeks ago.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development