Help compiling starsim please "nonnull-objects" er

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

redfiat

Help compiling starsim please "nonnull-objects" er

Post by redfiat »

Hi
Im new to PS2 dev.
Iv'e setup my enviroment, hopefully correcltly.
Using cygwin. Compile ee-gcc, iop-gcc, ps2lib, etc okay.

and am now trying to compile starsim example code

However when I do the make I get an error:
ee-gcc -O2 -EL -pipe -Wall -Wa,-al -fno-common -Wall -mips3 -mcpu=r5900 -ffreestanding -fnonull-objects -fno-builtin -fshort-double -nostartfiles -mlong64 -mhard-float -mno-abicalls -c -I/usr/local/ps2dev/ps2lib/common/include -I/usr/local/ps2dev/ps2lib/ee/include -c main.c -o main.o > main.lst
cc1: unrecognized option `-fnonnull-objects'
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

Any ideas what I may have setup incorreclty here?

Thanks. :?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

It seems the -fnonnull-objects existed for gcc2.95.x (which is what was around when starsim was written) however it seems to be removed from gcc3.x (which you are most likely using)

Hmm... it seems a bit odd that it was used, as it only applies to c++ files, and the starsim example is in c... heh.

Anyways, it looks like this is just one of those few little bugs that crop up as the toolchain is upgraded and changed and the sample programs get old and dusty...
You should be able to safely remove "-fnonnull-objects" from the compile options in the makefile.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

As it says in some of the early examples, they are old and using rudimentary versions of existing tools. They often need "updating" to work right. I ran into this on a number of existing examples including the one you mentioned and dumpbios. I pretty much threw out the makefile for dumpbios and used an example makefile from the new (at the time) ps2lib.
sausage

Post by sausage »

Also had the same problem so I removed the option from the makefile. Now I get a stack of errors, eg:

main.c:27:22: tamtypes.h: No such file or directory

I'm using the compilers and ps2env.bat settings provided at: http://www.lukasz.dk/ps2toolchain.html

However I'm beginning to think that I am meant to download http://www.internalreality.com/PS2Dev_Setup.exe first and that Lukasz' stuff is to go on after.

Would I be right here? There is a significant package size difference between them.

If you guys can clarify this I'll write up some content to explain this on Oobles site.
Shine

Post by Shine »

sausage wrote:Also had the same problem so I removed the option from the makefile. Now I get a stack of errors, eg:

main.c:27:22: tamtypes.h: No such file or directory
I've corrected the starsim demo, you can download it from here:

http://www.frank-buss.de/ps2/starsim.zip

The cause for your error could be, that the environment variables are not set. I've installed it at c:\ps2dev and the installer has set these variables:

PS2DEV=C:\PS2Dev
PS2GCC=C:\PS2Dev\gcc
PS2LIB=C:\PS2Dev\ps2lib

and a lot of directories in the PATH.