Help me, im a newb :)

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Andrew

Help me, im a newb :)

Post by Andrew »

Yeah, get ready for an annoying time with me :D eheh

Anywho, where to start... ok, I have a network adaptor, a CAT-5 cable, and an ethernet adaptor, Im waiting for my router to arrive in the mail but for the time being I want to transfer files to my ps2 hdd. Can I do it with what I have and not having to actually connect to the internet via ps2?

my second question is, I downloaded PS2SDK, and I figured id start off with the hello project and try and understand it. I understand it ok but how do I compile it to an elf? once I get those 2 things out of the way hopefully I can begin developing .. :D hopefully...
ole

Post by ole »

ok, I have a network adaptor, a CAT-5 cable, and an ethernet adaptor, Im waiting for my router....
I can see you are pretty serious about the deving ...:-) In the meantime you can learn some C, try google with "C programming tutorial".
About your second question - compiling is invoked / controlled by "make" command. More info can be found for example here: http://crasseux.com/books/ctutorial/Wri ... efile.html
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

So without an internet connection I cant directly connect my ps2 to my computer via Ethernet and transfer files?
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

You can use a crossover cable to connect your PS2 directly to your PC.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I guess ill wait for my router to get here, what do I do about the whole IP not being static thing.. will that make a difference?
pixel

Post by pixel »

Andrew wrote:what do I do about the whole IP not being static thing.. will that make a difference?
If you are going to get an ASDL router, or some sort of equivalent device, then you will be able to use fixed IPs. That is, the router provides DHCP mechanism, if you are too lazy to fix up all the IPs in your network. But you can fix them to custom values. Of course, this need a bit of clueness.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.