modplayer that supports sound effects (for games etc)

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Raizor

modplayer that supports sound effects (for games etc)

Post by Raizor »

I'm in the process of adding sound effects support to Adresd's modplayer. I was wondering what sort of sample format people would prefer for soundfx? Wav, Raw?? Any ideas would be helpful...

raizor
Darren

Post by Darren »

wav is the most commonly used format for homebrew games that have sound effects
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't wav a container file that can have any of hundreds of different audio formats?
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

wav is just pcm container afaik. was thinking of internal conversion anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

besides, if wav is as you say, then "fuck that" ;)
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

actually i thought the usal tech fo rsond effects in a game using MODs is to put the effects in the MOD itself.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Reminds me the old days...

Whatever: what WOULD be useful actually is to put a callback from the IOP to EE, watching for certain commands in the stream. Introducing "invalid" commands (which gets ignored by the player) are useful to sync the game with the music.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.