Speed of the DVD drive in PSX (DESR-7x00/5x00)

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Missle Seeker

Speed of the DVD drive in PSX (DESR-7x00/5x00)

Post by Missle Seeker »

Hello, people.
I really hope that someone knows about subj. You see, in "specs" (personnaly I wouldn't call it that way ;) ) on Sony's site mentioned about 24x (as I understand it's about transferring data between HDD and DVD). So what is this??? Is it like on PS2, measured relatively CD? It comes that for 8x DVD burner, this drive reads too fast if its 24x for dvd's (am I right?!)...
So who knows what's the "real" speed?
Please, I need to know...

Post by Guest »

Don:t know how to answer that question, I haven't figured out how to make that part work yet, but I am curious why it matters so much ? Are you going to use it to burn alot of DVDs from recorded HDD material ?

This is a very high end unit, and the DVD mechanical mechanism is extremely well built for a DVD play/record device. I personally expect the speeds to be toward the higher end of what is normally available. Unfortunately, this is still speculation on my part based on my physical examination of the unit.
Missle Seeker

Post by Missle Seeker »

Don:t know how to answer that question, I haven't figured out how to make that part work yet, but I am curious why it matters so much ? Are you going to use it to burn alot of DVDs from recorded HDD material ?
Thanks for reply.
24x dubbing speed seem's to me like unreliable, doubtful, impossible. So I wanted to make it clear. In some IT-magazines there was a misunderstanding with PS2, when reading speed from CD was presented as reading speed from DVD.