Has sony released a official 16MB memory card for PS2

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

2hot2handle

Has sony released a official 16MB memory card for PS2

Post by 2hot2handle »

Has sony released a official 16MB memory card for PS2. I have seen one in a shop but the owner advised that it might work only in the new PS2 versions. i have found the picture of the card in ebay.Image I just got a PS2 slimline as gift and know nothing about it. Will it be safe for me to buy the 16mb card as seen in the picture or will compatibility problems arise... i have also found in forums people having trouble with other 16mb memory cards. Should i buy 8MB will it be sufficient. The thing is both are almost of equal price very odd.. Please do advise.. all help are appreciated. Thanks
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

weird, it doesn't look official at all. logo is weird.
I didn't hear about sony releasing 16megs PS2 MCs officially either.
I'd stay far from it.
Later,

Alcahest
Herben

Post by Herben »

These cards have been around for a while now though they're not very common. They're not official. I would suggest you get a MAX Memory card if they're available by you, the price is better than official cards and I've had very good experiences with them(unlike the old Datel cards that required a boot disc..)
mad3d

Post by mad3d »

herben, why do these old mcards from datel needed a boot disc before and latest "compatible" ones don't ?
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Sony checks for the presence of the Magic Gate chip inside a memory card to determine whether it is a valid device, the old datel cards used a bootdisc to remove the check (it meant little overall to the functionality of the card bar not being able to use it for things like dvd player updates). The newer cards have a chip which looks to the ps2 like a magic gate chip and thus dont need the disc.