PS2 Programming - Newbie

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

AngelSephiroth

PS2 Programming - Newbie

Post by AngelSephiroth »

Hello All, As i hope many of you should know me as the PSX programmer AngelSephiroth from the team PlayNation(www.psxdev.com). I have
come to the notice that it is about time to move on to the PS2. I am new to PS2 Dev, really i just bought a new PS2 System and have no knowledge on anything as yet for programming the console. I am needing of the help of resources... Kindly asking, i heard of a Free-Gnu compiler for the PS2 enviorment.. Is there a way i can have any reference to it with the note that the PS2 Linux Kit is now sold out in North America. I would like to start programming for the ps2 as soon as possible, If someone is willing to share their knowledge and help with me i will greatly appreciate it, Thanks to you all of the Playstation Porgramming Scene....

- AngelSephiroth

P.S - My last and final project on the PSX is in progress. It is an actual re-creation of the game Legacy Of Kain - Soul Reaver. holding so many ideas that will be implemented into this game it will be ran off CD, for more information head over to the Playnation site's forum.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Well then, you're in luck. There's plenty of stuff of interest to someone like you available. First, take a look at the 'Start Here' button in the corner of the main ps2dev site. ( http://ps2dev.org/kb.x?T=993 ) Then, you may want to take a look at some stuff I have on my own site ( http://www.oopo.net/consoledev )

We also have a channel on efnet called #ps2dev if you want to talk to someone. Being a global bunch we tend to have people online there at all hours.

Once you've done some reading feel free to ask whatever questions you may have.
AngelSephiroth

Post by AngelSephiroth »

Well thank you very much for the information ooPo, i am very greatful.. These should be enough sources and information for me to begin Ps2 Programming. I just some question, (hope they are not confusing)

1) Does your site contain the free Gnu-Compiler for the PS2?
2) Also is there a way to port and boot my demos to the PS2 through the
USB Port.
3) Do you by any chance have reference to the PS2's 3D system....

- Take in consideration i havent gone through the docs from your site yet, but i'am, i'm not in the rush to learn everything at once, just that 3D is my thing ;), Thanks again, maybe we can chat on msn so you can provide more information to me, my e-mail address is
" AngelSephiroth_Playstation@hotmail.com "
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

1) The two ways to get the compiler are to grab the prebuilt, and mostly unsupported, package on ps2dev.org, or the preferred way which is running the toolchain.sh script on oopo's website. The script will automatically download all the source files that are needed and build them.

2) There are two link programs, PS2Link and Naplink. PS2Link is for linking via the network adapter, and is usually the preferred method (faster, more up to date, etc). Naplink is for linking via USB using a special USB networking cable, any USB to USB networking cable that is based on the Prolific PL2301 chipset to be exact.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
AngelSephiroth

Post by AngelSephiroth »

AngelSephiroth here again... I installed cgywin on my computer but i still cant run the script file for the PS2 Gnu-compiler... Sorry for asking so many questions that are probably easy to answer but i'm new to this ps2 coding and i apologize for causing anyone to take some time out of their busy day to answer this and help me... Thanks...........

- AngelSephiroth
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

what is the error message ?
Kung VU