newbie here with some questions?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

tormentor

newbie here with some questions?

Post by tormentor »

how much does this program cost? i wanna make my own gameshark and they told that with the ps2 dev kit i could do it... is this true?
pixel

Post by pixel »

Which... program ?
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
weltall

Post by weltall »

ps2dev tools in this site are opensource so they are free
tormentor

Post by tormentor »

well i posted at another place that if anyone knew any programs that i could use to make my own gameshark and they reply with the ps2 dev kit thats why i came here for help?
pixel

Post by pixel »

Ahh, I see.

Well, what you will be able to find over here is a collection of tools and libraries, which will allow you to code things for the playstation2. There's no "program" whatsoever, as you may think of it as a full IDE like Visual Studio. Only libraries lurking around. All of them beeing free of use.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
tormentor

Post by tormentor »

pixel so what u recomend i get?
weltall

Post by weltall »

if you have windows get the installer of ps2dev (it sets all the variable needed) plus set manually ps2sdk and good coding. it's gcc based so if you know it it must be simple

Re: newbie here with some questions?

Post by Guest »

tormentor wrote:how much does this program cost? i wanna make my own gameshark and they told that with the ps2 dev kit i could do it... is this true?
1. The stuff here is open source.
2. You can develop anything you want with it, either as a direct result of the code, or because the code enables you to add/develop any additional functionality in your own applications.
3. certain minimum requirements in experience in coding and being able to learn about embedded systems software development concepts are needed.

Go for it.
tormentor

Post by tormentor »

what should i start with im new to this..
weltall

Post by weltall »

learning c with the use of gcc it's a good starting point
tormentor

Post by tormentor »

cool im gonna go and get me some learning tutorials for c ..now gcc is that another program
soks

Post by soks »

GCC is an open source C/C++ compiler.

It's what Linux uses for just about everything (never saw anyone use paid compiler on linux, but I'm sure people do it). You can also get it for Windows and other platforms, hell it works with like 30 different chip things morning groggy...

It's a code compiler, like visual studio, just no graphics interface normally. Which is fine, I swear, it's JUST a compiler, NO GUI! You get those elsewhere if you need. On windows Dev-C++ is an example of an IDE that is based on GCC, well MinGW or whatever but that's the gcc on windows.

Or you can use cygwin... but ignore me there.

OR you can listen to other people who are a little more together than this robot here.