Newbie question about hard drives...

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

electricladyland

Newbie question about hard drives...

Post by electricladyland »

I have done a lot of searching around on the internet and have not really come up with a lot. If someone could please help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I just want to know if I can get an external 120GB hard drive that the PS2 will recognize so that I can put all of the games that I have (and the games that I will buy in the future) on it to cut down on loading times. This is all I want to do and I wanted to look at prices for doing this.

I'm not exactly sure if you can even use an external hard drive with your PS2, this is why I am asking the great minds of ps2dev.org. I finally found a website that I think can answer this question or lead me in the right direction at least, and am very anxious to hear what you all have to say. If I cannot get an external hard drive, how do I install the internal one? I have the older PS2, not the new, slim one.

Also, would I have to have a different o.s.?
Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

You seem to be asking about using hdloader, which is not an acceptable topic here.

You've been warned.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
DiGiTaLeX

Post by DiGiTaLeX »

electric lady: Sony doesn't make external hard drives for the ps2 ;)
electricladyland

Well, Drakonite, since I don't have any idea what HDLoader is, I don't think that that is what I am asking about. I just want to know how I can get a hard drive for ps2 to put the games that I have on. How much physical space is there inside the console to put a hard drive? Should I just make it easy and buy the one that comes with FFXI? The only thing with that is, I have no idea what other crap comes on that hard drive that will eat into the available space. Please advise what I should do and if this is worth my time.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Official games only work with the official HDD. And for that matter, the number of games that use the HDD is very small, and AFAIK most of them just use it as a cache and it doesn't actually put the whole game on the HDD.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development

Post by Guest »

DiGiTaLeX wrote:electric lady: Sony doesn't make external hard drives for the ps2 ;)
Guess you haven't heard of the external one that uses PCMCIA to attach to the original Japanese PS2s that didn't have an expansion bay, eh ?
electricladyland

So how then have people putting Resident Evil Outbreak on the Sony HDD to cut down on loading times?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

By using illegal pirating software we don't talk about here. This site is for legal development of home-brew programs.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Or by using the game legally since it has a built-in function to cache itself on the hdd... :)
rasmus

Post by rasmus »

Which we don't talk about here either, since as far as I can tell nobody here ever plays games ;)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

electricladyland wrote:So how then have people putting Resident Evil Outbreak on the Sony HDD to cut down on loading times?
I didn't say there were no games that did that, just that there are very few.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
electricladyland

I am just trying to get some information here...not trying to do anything illegal...if what I am trying to do is in fact illegal, then it won't be done. I have asked many people about this hard drive thing and no one seems to know anything. I finally find a website that people know something about it and then you all tell me that you don't talk about that kind of thing here. Drakonite...find a new hobby because trying to prove newbies wrong isn't quite working out for you. Thanks to the people who have actually answered some of my questions, as you have cleared up some confusion on this topic.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

electricladyland wrote:I am just trying to get some information here...not trying to do anything illegal...if what I am trying to do is in fact illegal, then it won't be done. I have asked many people about this hard drive thing and no one seems to know anything.
You probably want a site like PS2OWNZ instead.
http://www.ps2ownz.com/
I finally find a website that people know something about it and then you all tell me that you don't talk about that kind of thing here.
But this is a development site. Look at the top of the page - "Homebrew PS2 Development Discussions". You're supposed to ask about writing your own games, not commercial games, especially since your question could easily be construed as an attempt to play illegally copied games.

What you said: "Basically, I just want to know if I can get an external 120GB hard drive that the PS2 will recognize so that I can put all of the games that I have (and the games that I will buy in the future) on it to cut down on loading times."

What a pirate says: "Basically, I just want to know if I can get an external 120GB hard drive that the PS2 will recognize so that I can put all of the games that I have downloaded (and the games that I will acquire in the future) on it to cut down on loading times."

The pirate will often change what he says to be like what you said to make it sound like they own all these games. The rule here is to err on the side of caution and not help people with questions like that.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Whether you realize it or not you came in here asking the same question as hundreds of warezers ask us on a regular basis.

If you are asking about the official HDD features in the few games that support it (well, a few more in Japan, but a very small number anywhere else) you need the official sony HDD, no substitutes will work. Of course, I've already said that official games only work with official HDDs in this thread.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
DiGiTaLeX

Post by DiGiTaLeX »

gorim wrote:
DiGiTaLeX wrote:electric lady: Sony doesn't make external hard drives for the ps2 ;)
Guess you haven't heard of the external one that uses PCMCIA to attach to the original Japanese PS2s that didn't have an expansion bay, eh ?
Nope :P

Jap Crap...
eeeeeebobb

not piracy

Post by eeeeeebobb »

even though the question is not pertinent to this forum....
and sony ASKED hdloader to stop making the product....(i dont know whetehr they did or not..i dont own it myself)
hdloader is a (theoretically) legal prduct, because it has legitamite legal uses besides piracy.
ironic, sony won the precedent betamax(VCR) case
VCRs allow piracy.....
lets not even get into tivo...
but they are legal....

by the way, a hdloader type stup could be usefull for developers, as they could put their own, non-commerical games staght on to the hdd, to save on burning cds and adding modchips
hi there pspeople!
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

HDLoader was intenteded for illegal purposes. It is not an allowed topic here and this is NOT up for debate.

If you bring it up again I will no hesitate to ban you.

I'm locking this thread as it has no where to go except topics which are not allowed here.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development