Interrupts, IRX, just some Questions.

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

PrimeTime

Interrupts, IRX, just some Questions.

Post by PrimeTime »

Hi,

I had just a few questions.
First, before I code anything, I would just like to hear if you think this could be done.

I was wanting to run a program in the background during a regular ps2 game. Would it be possible to hook a small amount of code to an interrupt and then launch a ps2 elf and still have the code attached to the interrupt.

For example: attaching a bit of code to the timer interrupt that will read the program instruction counter register on certain intervals during a game. Possibly memory location(s) as well.

Also, I was wondering if loaded IRX drivers would remain running after launching a game. For example, would I be able to load the hard disk IRX files, launch a game, and then be able to read/write the hard disk?

Just curious. Thanks,
Ryan
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

no.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

One of the first things a game does when it loads is reset the IOP. Any IRX files you loaded before the game runs are lost forever in the void!

As for running a code in the background while a game runs, hacking/modifying games isn't really what ps2dev is about. So, while it would be possible... it seems this thread was locked by Drakonite before it could head in that direction.

Cheers!