Noob jsut starting out

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

rddragon

Noob jsut starting out

Post by rddragon »

I have followed the outline on

http://ps2dev.org/kb.x?T=927

and downloaded the files, I cannot access the EE patches, they are not there. Are the updated files that already have them included or where else can I get them.

What else do I need:

I have:
ps2client
ps2link 1.2
ps2exec
ps2lib

I am just trying to get setup.
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=920

get the .sh file from either oopos site or from the cvs, the outline you followed is, well, read the first line there:

Code: Select all

ATTENTION this info is outdated please check ps2dev.org -> tools 
it sends you to my recommendation (it is current and builds most everything in the cvs dir)
http://ps2dev.org/kb.x?T=1036
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

your probably going to need to get wget. i'm not sure what this is, or where do download it, it just says that when you try to run the toolchain. i recommend using linux, must easier set up.
rddragon

Post by rddragon »

I am trying to install wget and I am getting an error,

configure:2110: error: C compiler cannot create executables

what can be causing this. This is all very new to me as I am an Windows person myself. Would it be eaiser to set it up on a Linux box and work from there. I have access to a few other boxes and can get Linux installed, I have used Red Hat in the past. What would be a good build to get. Also can I get a walkthrough on what would be needed to set it up.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

rddragon wrote:I am trying to install wget and I am getting an error,

what can be causing this. This is all very new to me as I am an Windows person myself. Would it be eaiser to set it up on a Linux box and work from there. I have access to a few other boxes and can get Linux installed, I have used Red Hat in the past. What would be a good build to get. Also can I get a walkthrough on what would be needed to set it up.
Steps to set up in linux.

download autobuild toolchain at http://www.oopo.net/consoledev
in terminal extract file. and type './toolchain.sh

easiest way to set up.
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

wget is a file get software package (thanks pixel for some more nomenclature) for... web, yeah that could be it- WebGET?

thanda: ahh but you forget - steps to set up linux vs steps to set up cygwin - I had to manually install wget, cvs etc in linux, while I got a nice list and could click on boxes to install them into cygwin

when you set up cygwin (using cygwin's installer setup.exe) you can choose which modules to install, wget is one of them, but you also need CVS, MAKE, PATCH, BINUTILS, GCC(I think gcc is autoselected when you select MAKE but...) - and using the same installer you can later update cygwin and add othe modules at will

these modules for cygwin are prebuilt binaries, and wont need to be MAKEd

and trust me, if you dont already have a linux box or good working knowledge of linux, then cygwin is a much better (and less complicated) place to start.

note about cygwin - with the time I have spent working with linux in the last month or two it has helped clear up alot of confusion I had with cygwin's operation, which in a way is a pared down version of linux that does not have linux's security features.

I agree though, linux is much better suited to work with GCC, although cygwin is capable.
Last edited by cory1492 on Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pixel

Post by pixel »

wget is a software...
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

rddragon wrote:I am trying to install wget and I am getting an error,

You dont have gcc installed in cygwin, make sure to install the developer packages when installing cygwin, that includes gcc, make, cvs etc.
Kung VU
rddragon

Post by rddragon »

Ok I think I am almost there, I went ahead and resetup cygwin and ran

http://cygwin.lukasz.dk/cygwin-toolchain.sh

Now I need to connect to my PS2 and compile an test program.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

cory1492 wrote:wget is a file get software package (thanks pixel for some more nomenclature) for... web, yeah that could be it- WebGET?

thanda: ahh but you forget - steps to set up linux vs steps to set up cygwin - I had to manually install wget, cvs etc in linux, while I got a nice list and could click on boxes to install them into cygwin

when you set up cygwin (using cygwin's installer setup.exe) you can choose which modules to install, wget is one of them, but you also need CVS, MAKE, PATCH, BINUTILS, GCC(I think gcc is autoselected when you select MAKE but...) - and using the same installer you can later update cygwin and add othe modules at will

these modules for cygwin are prebuilt binaries, and wont need to be MAKEd

and trust me, if you dont already have a linux box or good working knowledge of linux, then cygwin is a much better (and less complicated) place to start.

note about cygwin - with the time I have spent working with linux in the last month or two it has helped clear up alot of confusion I had with cygwin's operation, which in a way is a pared down version of linux that does not have linux's security features.

I agree though, linux is much better suited to work with GCC, although cygwin is capable.
okay, well i tried to install all the stuff including wget, still tells me to install wget. why is this?

also cygwin gcc doesnt even work.

btw no, setting up linux is easier then getting cygwin to work.

steps if still windows user
1. create a second partition un formated
2. place Fedora core 3 DVD or CD (best for people just getting into linux)
3. run through install.
4. download toolchain,
5. open the terminal, and after extracting file. go to dir. type './toolchain.sh'
6. done.

Also Fedora is Free, go to Fedora.com. version 4 is available, but its a beta.
if your a die hard linux fan, then i suggest Mandrak or Debian, and maybe even Slack.
Fedora is great to start off. or Knoppix. but it only runs off CD.
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

rddragon wrote:Ok I think I am almost there, I went ahead and resetup cygwin and ran

http://cygwin.lukasz.dk/cygwin-toolchain.sh

Now I need to connect to my PS2 and compile an test program.
i would suggest if your really serious about dev on the ps2. you should definetly check out lunix. if you dont want to format your PC right now, you should at least check out Knoppix Live CD, to get the feel of it.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

There is no need for OS-propaganda, the toolchain and sdk is made to work on several different OS'es out there, saying that any OS is better for PS2DEV than the other is a slap in the face for the ppl who take time out from their "normal" lives in order to make something work on all major platforms.

<teenage troll> FreeBSD rules </teenage troll>
Kung VU
pixel

Post by pixel »

blackdroid wrote:There is no need for OS-propaganda, the toolchain and sdk is made to work on several different OS'es out there
<frogtroll>Did anybody try to run it on BeOS?</frogtroll>
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.

Post by Guest »

Thanhda wrote:I would suggest if your really serious about dev on the ps2. you should definetly check out lunix.
Indeed. I have always had my Mac OSX in DEV.

But then, I am told all the time I have done nothing serious in DEV, or at least anything with satisfying results. I cannot deny it.

Now I know I can change all of this by switching to Lunix. Or at least Knoppix. Then my seriousness will be enlarged, and everything will be much more enjoyable in DEV. I can't wait for all of the compliments on how much better and especially larger my seriousness is. Things will never be the same in DEV again.

To think I have tried pills, creams, and pumps to increase my seriousness in DEV, but never once considered Lunix. You should advertise this out to the world NOW!
boomint

Post by boomint »

gorim wrote:To think I have tried pills, creams, and pumps to increase my seriousness in DEV, but never once considered Lunix. You should advertise this out to the world NOW!
You obviously bought them from the wrong purveyor... As a side note, I have a bridge in London I can sell you if you're interested?
--( someone stole my sig! )--

Post by Guest »

boomint wrote:You obviously bought them from the wrong purveyor... As a side note, I have a bridge in London I can sell you if you're interested?
Really ? Thats what I like about these forums, experts all over! Tell me who is the best purveyor ?

As for the bridge, it sounds big and will make my seriousness the marvel of all. But I want to make sure it truly can make me better in DEV ? Of course I trust your opinion in this.