PS2 and its PSX ROM.

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Sho7

PS2 and its PSX ROM.

Post by Sho7 »

As far as I know, the PS2 uses a ROM to play PS1 games. And I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Is the statement above true?
2. Would it be possible to emulate that ROM, or tell the PS2 to "force-start" it.
3. How hard would it be.

Thanks, on a side note, I am new to the PS2Dev scene, so

"Hello World!"
Last edited by Sho7 on Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

The PSX is just a PS2 with PVR hardware added. It doesn't have it's own special games.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Sho7

Post by Sho7 »

Right, so that PVR has to be started in order for a PSX game to boot right? So is there anyway I could make an elf that would start it?

Post by Guest »

Why not explain your goal here. Otherwise, we will have fun with your terminology.

BTW, "PSX" officially refers to a rather expensive PVR from Sony that also is a functioning PS2 system. It is not the same thing as the original PlayStation, to which you should refer as "PS1".
wulf

Post by wulf »

I beleive that he is talking about ps 1 games... psx is a slang used to describe the ps 1 before ps2 and PSX came out.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

wulf wrote:I beleive that he is talking about ps 1 games... psx is a slang used to describe the ps 1 before ps2 and PSX came out.
Yes, I know. It's very incorrect slang though, and since there is talk of the real PSX here on occasion I think for our own sanity it's best to strongly discourage the use of such slang...

Since my point has been made...

1. It's not a "ROM." The PS2 hardware has a 'compatibility' mode where it acts virtually identical (or at least as far as it matters) to the PS1 which it uses to emulate the PS1.

2/3. Yes, it's very easy to force the PS2 into PS1 mode, however it's also very useless. As soon as you kick it into PS1 mode it's in a state and acts exactly how it'd would if you had just turned the PS2 on with a PS1 game in the drive. All you really get is a goldburgian way of starting a PS1 game.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development

Post by Guest »

wulf wrote:I beleive that he is talking about ps 1 games... psx is a slang used to describe the ps 1 before ps2 and PSX came out.
Shocking. Do tell more. :)
boomint

Post by boomint »

Now now Gorim, not everyone has the luxury of being able to discern the differences physically...
--( someone stole my sig! )--

Post by Guest »

boomint wrote:Now now Gorim, not everyone has the luxury of being able to discern the differences physically...
Ok, *now* I might be concerned about what precisely is in my possession...
How can one tell the difference ?

See, I was in Japan and decided I wanted a PSX. So I went to Akihabara.
I saw the coolest PSX's, way cooler than I ever saw in the US. Sure, they were pricey, but "thats just Japan..." I thought to myself.

I really couldn't read the Japanese language information posted underneath it, so I asked the salesguy, "I can play Final Fantasy VII on this right ?"

"Sure! No problem!" He said with a big smile.

So I bought it.

Now, all my gaming friends are quite impressed with it when they see it. Its way bigger than the PSX they have. Everyone comes over to my house to play the original "Grand Theft Auto" or "Metal Gear". Its that cool looking!

But now I wonder, might I have been ripped off ? How can I tell ?
Sho7

Post by Sho7 »

Drakonite wrote:
2/3. Yes, it's very easy to force the PS2 into PS1 mode, however it's also very useless. As soon as you kick it into PS1 mode it's in a state and acts exactly how it'd would if you had just turned the PS2 on with a PS1 game in the drive. All you really get is a goldburgian way of starting a PS1 game.
The reason is for experimentational purposes only. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction so I can get started?