Linux on memorycard

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

bobby1989

Linux on memorycard

Post by bobby1989 »

Is there any way i can install linux onto my memory card? I have a modded ps2.

Also is there any program that will make a .elf file ? or is there any program that will convert a bin or iso to a .elf file ?

I have been searching on google for a week and have had no luck.

Your help will be much appreciated :)
pixel

Post by pixel »

You have to buy the linux kit to install linux on your PS2 for various reasons.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
hexperience

Post by hexperience »

An ELF file is like and EXE file for your PC. It's a compiled program that is built for a specific processor.

An ISO file is a collection of files, kind of like a ZIP file. So you can have a collection of ELF files, but you won't be able to convert an ISO file to an ELF file. They are just not the same thing.

An ISO file is generally an image of a cd or dvd. With programs like HDLoader you can convert an ISO image to a PS2 partition on a hard disk drive. If the ISO is a small enough collection of files (under 8 meg) you could use any number of tools on your PC to extract the contents of the ISO and put those files on to your memory card.

Some times you will see an ISO file that people build for the PS2 to install software to your memory card. Those are simply a collection of files, that when burned to a CD or DVD and booted in the PS2 will copy an ELF file to the memory card for you. You'll need a mod or swap method to boot a CD made from an ISO file.

I'm just a newbie to all this PS2 codeing stuff, but I hope that helps.

Hex.
bobby1989

Post by bobby1989 »

Ok, thanks.

I downloaded a package that i put a dvd that will let me play snes, sega, and divx movies on my ps2.

I wanted to know if i got linux onto a cd or dvd, if i could somehow save it to my memorycard, that way when i burn a linux file onto a cd or dvd it will be able to read it.