ELF to launch another ELF

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

ralexsander

ELF to launch another ELF

Post by ralexsander »

I need to create a ELF file to launch automatic another ELF, but if I press a sequence of keys this ELF launch other ELF:

Sample

Boot launch the BOOT.ELF

If none key is pressed, the BOOT.ELF launch automatic PROJECT1.ELF
But if I press a specific key on boot (sample: L1+L2+R1+R2) then BOOT.ELF launch the PROJECT2.ELF

is it possible???

Sorry for BAD english
misfire

Post by misfire »

I suggest to search the web for the PS2-KeyLauncher source code.
It can execute a specified program when a certain key is pressed.
snowdog

Post by snowdog »

Didn't want to create a new topic so thought I'd ask my ELF question here. Once you have developed homebrew code, how do you go about burning the code to a CD..?

I understand that you'd need either Swap Magic, a chipped PS2 or an official devkit to run the CD but am unsure how to build the CD itself.

Do I just drag the relevant files into Nero using a CD ISO doobrie..? Or is there something special that I need to do..? I have Nero and Alcohol 120%.

Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. :D
"You can keep all your Bests, Peles and Maradonas, Duncan Edwards was the greatest of them all!" - Tommy Docherty
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

You need to put the program and any IRXs it uses on the disc along with a file called "SYSTEM.CNF" to tell the PS2 what to run. The system.cnf for PS2Link looks like this:

Code: Select all

BOOT2 = cdrom0:\PS2LINK.ELF;1
VER = 1.10
VMODE = NTSC 
Burn the disc as ISO9660 level 1. That should be all you need for most modchips. For a few, you may need to also add a big dummy file to the disc. Say, 20 to 30 Megs long. Mine is that way. It doesn't matter what the dummy file is called or what's in it.

A few older mods also require the system.cnf to be located at a specific point on the disc. If yours is that way, you need a special program that creates ISO CD images and allows you to specify where a file starts at.
snowdog

Post by snowdog »

Cheers for that...am a step closer with my experiment. Have downloaded an Atari VCS emulator and using Swap Magic it starts to boot up but freezes with a black screen. Might try bunging in those dummy files as well as disecting a PS2 CD game just to see if I'm missing anything else.
"You can keep all your Bests, Peles and Maradonas, Duncan Edwards was the greatest of them all!" - Tommy Docherty
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Remember with Swap Magic to do the "special boot." That's usually the Square button.