Help: Compiling SIOShell from the SVN

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Derek8588

Help: Compiling SIOShell from the SVN

Post by Derek8588 »

I have had some trouble compiling this thing. First, the compiler was giving me an error saying cc1 was no such file or directory. I fixed that. Now I get a large list of exception errors saying "illegal operands" concerning MIPS instruction commands. Those are found within the exception.s file. I have the latest toolchain installer from ps2dev. I have even successfully compiles all of the ps2sdk samples. Can someone please help? thanks

EDIT: Heres a screenshot of the errors:

Image[/img]
JorDy

Post by JorDy »

when i try to compile anything with asm it always needs the registers to be prefixed by a '$' sign that should get rid of most of the errors
misfire

Post by misfire »

You have to include the "r5900_regs.h" file.
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

The problem is more likely the name is has been lower cased on windows, rename it to exception.S (note the capital S) and it will probably build fine.
Derek8588

Close, but not quite there.

Post by Derek8588 »

Thanks for the tip. I didnt realize such a minor thing as the case of a letter could cause so much havoc. However, I am still running into errors. I even renamed all the .s files to capital .S. I also recopied and pasted the code from the svn. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thx.

JorDy

Post by JorDy »

your not including a library i dont think that's why you're getting "undefined reference" errors or maybe the files that contain that function have been left out
Derek8588

Post by Derek8588 »

I think I may have found the problem. I have been entering all the source into notepad and saving them as the filename specified. This creates spacing errors and improperly formatted text. What text editor should I be entering this information into? Maybe I should enter it into Dev C++ and save it with that... Thx for any help.

EDIT: Finally figured it out. The Makefile.eeglobal in the SVN kept giving me the error "Multiple Target Patters." So i took an eeglobal makefile from another project that successfully compiled and then tried to compile figuring they were the same. Then I realized they werent and modified it with the sioshell's svn code, and it compiled successfully. Thank god.

EDIT2: Now I get exception handler errors on ps2 after I packed it and sent it over ps2link. :( Im ready to give up

EE Exception Handler: Address Store Exception
Cause 60008014 BadVAddr 80050000 Status 70030c13

Any help?
Derek8588

So close but yet so far

Post by Derek8588 »

Well. I finally obtained the stub file that the compiler required. The
n2e-kmode-1d00-stub. Now when I execute the ELF on my ps2 through ps2link or Launchelf, the app prints this to my console PC.

SIO:Framing Error
......keeps going forever and ps2 locks up.

If I press Enter or send it text, it will pause for a moment, and continue to send that message. Does anyone happen to have a precompiled version? Because I dont think I will ever get this working.
Derek8588

Re: So close but yet so far

Post by Derek8588 »

Well, I found out that the problem was that the metal HDD housing inside the ps2 had spliced the rxd wire, creating a short. Now I fixed it and the program works great. I jus dunno how to execute elfs. it says...

help exec

exec elfname [arg1 arg2 ....]

Im assuming that the arguments are the start address and something else? Does anyone know the correct format for it? thanks.
jbit
Site Admin

Re: So close but yet so far

Post by jbit »

Derek8588 wrote:exec elfname [arg1 arg2 ....]

I'm assuming that the arguments are the start address and something else? Does anyone know the correct format for it? thanks.
The arguments are just things passed to the program (ie: via argc/argv), they're not required unless the program you're loading needs them. The ELF loader uses the address' in the ELF header...
Derek8588

Post by Derek8588 »

My last issue is recieving data blocks using ymodem and the recv command. I type

recv 0x100000 8

The program slowly prints constant C's to the terminal app.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC....

Im not sure if I am supposed to use the receive command built into hyperterminal or what. I get a "No Packet" message when I try to recieve a memory block using hyperterminal. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks