PS1DRV exploit not launching

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

doug

PS1DRV exploit not launching

Post by doug »

I'm having problems getting the PS1DRV exploit working.

I unpacked http://www.0xd6.org/BEDATA-SYSTEM.npo
added the file name SLES_014.21 (Formula 1 98 - cheapest thing I could find) to TITLE.DB,
rebuilt the npo archive, and transferred the save.

Booting with the PS1 disk and the memory card continues to launch the game, there is no white screen.

I'm using nport over ps2link, launched with reload1 from the linux RTE.
My console is V9 PAL (50003).

I'm guessing I've done something stupid, but I have no idea what it is :(
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

The 50000 series was due to be released the fall after the exploit was released. I'm certain SCE has already fixed the exploit in recent revisions of the PS2. Not all 50000's are affected, but yours just might be.

Do you have a friend with an older PS2 so that you can verify whether it's the save or the PS2?
doug

Post by doug »

Damn, I hope not :( I will try the save on an earlier model this weekend.

However, I dumped my bios and the version string is 0170EC20030227 which I presume is rev1.7 built 27/02/2003. PS1DRV also contains the string "Feb 27 2003".
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

doug wrote:Damn, I hope not :( I will try the save on an earlier model this weekend.

However, I dumped my bios and the version string is 0170EC20030227 which I presume is rev1.7 built 27/02/2003. PS1DRV also contains the string "Feb 27 2003".
Strange that it wouldn't boot then. Are you certain you added your title correctly? If you want you can mail me the TITLE.DB (or perhaps the entire save) to mrbrown@0xd6.org, and I'll have a look.
nashdj

Post by nashdj »

I've sent you a copy of the save.

I'm fairly certain I added the title properly.

Expand npo save,
titleman -a SLES_014.21
Repack npo save,
Transfer and reboot.

Fail, and retry :)

I've also tried building the title.db from scratch with titleman -c, and further adding a title for each elf on the disk (not that I guess that will have much effect).
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Your TITLE.DB looks fine so far, I'll test it on my PS2 when I get home tonite.

Hmm, I'm still suspicious of your ps1drv's version string - I hadn't realized there was a ps1drv that recent, before the exploit. It's possible the exploit doesn't work simply because the code was repositioned when ps1drv was last built or the size of the buffer (that we overflow) was increased... I'm not entirely sure at this point.

I'll try your TITLE.DB at home and if it works for a game I have, I'll start looking more at ps1drv - I'll guess I'll write a simple test that you can run over your ps1drv ELF. You'll have to dump your BIOS as this will be a simple console utility.