dumpbios fixed

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Shine

dumpbios fixed

Post by Shine »

I've fixed dumpbin to work with the new PS2Dev Environment for Win32. You can download it at http://www.frank-buss.de/ps2/dumpbios.zip . I've tested a bios download with PCSX2 and I can see the normal Playstation intro, but really slow on my 1.5 GHz PC.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

with ps2link you can dump the bios with the dumpmem command ( read the README of your favourite client for details )
Kung VU
radalv2

Post by radalv2 »

can you please tell me how to use the bios dump app??
It does not have a readme file, and I can not figure it out.

Thanks
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

radalv:
you run it, and it creates .bin files for the bios images where it was run from.

IE. if you use ps2link to run the elf over a network it will make the bios dump files in the dir you ran the elf from.
fr0st m0nkey

Post by fr0st m0nkey »

What can you achieve by dumping your BIOS? Or is it different than a PC's BIOS?

Post by Guest »

fr0st m0nkey wrote:What can you achieve by dumping your BIOS? Or is it different than a PC's BIOS?
A bios is an embedded operating system, whether talking about the PS2 or a PC. It controls the system when the power is turned on, and provides basic services to the programs that are loaded next that take over the system.

The main difference, is that in a PC, a "real" operating system is loaded that takes over control.

In the PS2, the bios typically *is* the only operating system, with most games operating within its environment, although technically they could take over complete control if design to do so.

The benefit of dumping the bios is to learn more about the internals of PS2.
Also, dumping the bios allows you to use ps2 emulators without worrying about legal issues of distributing bios images (which are copyrighted software) over the internet.
cory1492

Post by cory1492 »

a link that was forwarded to me when I asked about the bios before:
[RO]man's "bios details for developers"
radalv2

Post by radalv2 »

thank you very much Cory