Trying to Use PS2 as a MIDI triggered Visualizer

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

ULTRÅDEMØN

Trying to Use PS2 as a MIDI triggered Visualizer

Post by ULTRÅDEMØN »

New to programming and Linux but I am a quick learner.
I'm running Ableton 6 on a MacBook Pro and have a BCR-2000 B-Control Rotary MIDI controller. Wondering if I can use the MIDI controller as a trigger for some sort of visualizer program running in Linux on the PS2? I found this software and it seems to kind of do what I am thinking but my knowledge of programming and Linux is limited .

http://playstation2-linux.com/projects/midimonart/

http://f27.aaa.livedoor.jp/~songen/

Can anyone help ? Have any ideas ?

THANKS!

WORD!

Å
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...would you like to try to implement some kind of music visualization effects for SMS project ;)?...
ULTRÅDEMØN

Post by ULTRÅDEMØN »

as in spectral modeling?

Å
EEUG

Post by EEUG »

...whatever you'll find interesting for yourself. It is not commercial, just for fun. I can provide you a PS2 optimized version of FFT routine that you can use to perform time -> frequency domain conversion and play with its results. The API to implement visualization in SMS is fairly simple:

- perform FFT with PCM audio samples;
- generate an arbitrary display list (GS packets) to be sent via VIF1;

First one is extremely simple: you call FFT function with PCM samples as input and you'll get frequency "intesities" (or whatever its called) as output.

Second one is up to your fantasy to use these "intensities" for graphical representation (currently SMS displays only stupid "bars"). If you're still interested then you can use private messages for further conversation to avoid forum pollution :)...