More Proc Commands

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

pspvideo9

More Proc Commands

Post by pspvideo9 »

These proc commands are likely useless without the South Korean NESPOT UMD, but we figure you guys would be interested none the less.

http://www.pspvideo9.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=692
Neila

Post by Neila »

Thanx for the info + the PMFs

Talking with a couple of people and looking at what was offered in Korea, led me to speculate that the small PMFs are simply software decoded by the OS. And there is No support for the large PSMFs. You will need to have code present to use of the hardware H.264 decoder. I think that what we'll find on a movie-UMD will be not only PMSF movie, but it will contain a movie-loader. In other words you'll need to write a program to be able to use the hardware decoder and in fact play PMFs in 480x272.
This may be bad on side that there si no easy solution to running PSMF files, there won't be possible a workaround since the program required to play the movie is on a UMD and not even in the OS. (i suspect the Koren's PSPs still have ver1.5)
But this could also make possible to have PSFMs with custom sound track, (not ATRAC).
In other words a solution maybe one standard run-movie program, packed with the movie in a PBP like a simple game, with the sole purpose of running the movie.
so we are back to the necessity of making a homebrew.

ps. Unless some brave company makes a Movie-Player that is on a UMD disk, which will search some directory for PMFs and play them... =) This way they can even set other standards for the sound stream, and simplify home-movie encoding.
pspvideo9

Post by pspvideo9 »

That would probably explain why the big PSMFs don't play when you rename them as small PSMFs. Also the small PSMFs are small (144x80?) and very simple videos (not many I-frames) so it would make sense that they could be decoded in software.

Playing back PSMFs of the memory stick would indeed be part of the holy grail of PSP video playback. I suppose if PSP games can make use of files on the MS, this may be possible.

If what you said is true, this makes the NESPOT UMD disc quite valuable as it had a built in movie player of which you can possibly playback any PMF you want over your network/internet. That is, provided the NESPOT UMD disc is region free (which current rumors seem to indicate it is, we'll find out soon enough).

It's more about whether Sony will allow someone to release a movie player, which I highly doubt considering their past history with proprietary formats and the great potential for more revenue.

I'm curious to know whether a PSMF or ATRAC3 encoder comes with the PSP SDK. Either would be highly useful for creating our own PSMF files.
Neila

Post by Neila »

Someone said that you can use your own images (a face from the photo folder?) when making your own character in Tony Hawk Underground.

If that is true, that will make it a "yes" for loading and using unencrypted content from the user's folders (by games). =)
pspvideo9

Post by pspvideo9 »

Seems to be indeed true:
The most impressive creation mode is Create-a-Player. You can actually put a custom face on your character by uploading a jpeg to the PSP's Memory Stick. It takes a little bit of adjustment work, but you can make a skater that looks just like you or your favorite celebrity through deft jpeg manipulation. Create-a-Graphic was also fun for me, since it allowed me to tag the game's environments to high heaven with my nifty "RAZ" logo.
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-port ... 760p1.html
EdZ

Post by EdZ »

I doubt the THUG image loader will be exploitable. All it (probably, this is just logical conjecture) does is move an image from the memory stick to the PSP's main memory, then onto the display. No encryption or unencryption needed.
Neila

lost in space

Post by Neila »

ahmmm.. yeahh.. thats it, EdZ.
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

more digging (1 more click :P) got me this 250 meg divx video of nespot stuff... interesting.. just posting so others dont have to click extra clicks.

i had never seen it before but im sure most of you other devs/fans have.

http://down.videogamerx.net/scek/psp_ne ... t_demo.rar
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

is this dev related ?
Kung VU
kry.sys

Post by kry.sys »

I feel proc:// is dev related since proc is, in my opionion, one of the best ways to get the psp to run code.

The movie link is nothing but informative of capabilities to inspire new vectors of acheiving a goal.
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

My €0.02...

Actually I tried a couple of things...

One is using the link to the download.pspdif and the data.pspdat files from the update of Japanese Wipeout Pure, this with an US Wipeout Pure... and I couldn't download a thing... but obtained an error message.

Using the proc url's similar to the ones for the PSMF files provided by pspvideo9, did nothing.

So I bet... this proc:// is a way to provide a callback to the developer code... the developer can provide a string to read the command required...

I guess the Wipeout Pure developers took the sample a bit to the letter.

I wonder if there's an exploit here, by using a buffer overrun... - don't have the time to test, anyone care to try?