Use psp to view .txt and .gifs (new take on psp web browsing

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

pyro42

Use psp to view .txt and .gifs (new take on psp web browsing

Post by pyro42 »

alright so who wants to carry around a memory stick of jpeg files to try and read a book? not me.. so i set up a webpage with

Code: Select all

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=file&#58;//fatms0&#58;/html/index.html"> 
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

on it, then created a /html folder on my stick, and threw an index.html in. I was then able to link to view .txt files and .gif files off of my memory stick. (of course still using "file://fatms0:/")

the practical upshot to this, as long as you stick to files on your memory stick, you are working in offline mode. you can turn the wireless off on your PSP and it'll just go along its business. into standby, out of stand by, it doesnt care. Not to mention it makes it incredibly simple for a user to set up their own psp portal. just need someone to set up an IP to a page that does the refresh, then each user can just make their own index files for their memory stick. You should be able to create an entire (basic) website on the stick if you desired.

it would be ideal if someone could set up a DNS to direct the inital request for the wipreout page to the "file://fatms0:/html/index.html" address, but as I understand, DNS likes numbers, and psp doesn't like 127.0.0.1 so i think a redirect would be the best possible bet.
forgive my ignorance... i know just enough to be annoying...
Awhite

Post by Awhite »

ok,
...erm...as expected?
Ioannis KarAvas
MomDad

DNS for redirecting back to Memstick

Post by MomDad »

For those wanting to test the suggested loopback to their local index.html on memstick, feel free to use this as the primary DNS in your PSP connection settings:

Don't have my PSP with me at work, but it should work fine, if not, let me know here or on EFNet in #pspdev

-MD

(edited for typo correction)
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

MomDad, it does work.
But I just found out that there is no support for anything other than english and japanese in the browser. Here I was hoping to save space on the memory card. Sigh, back to converting cyrilic text to pictures.
What does this button do?
pyro42

Post by pyro42 »

anyone know of a dynamic way to put directory listings into an html page.. maybe php? it'd have to be fairly simple as there is no sql backend obviously... but if you could drop an index.php in each directory of your memory stick and have that dynamicly display file:// links to the files on your stick that would be rather cool
pyro42

Post by pyro42 »

AlexGreen wrote:MomDad, it does work.
But I just found out that there is no support for anything other than english and japanese in the browser. Here I was hoping to save space on the memory card. Sigh, back to converting cyrilic text to pictures.
if you want to save space, you might try creating gif files instead of jpegs... or maybe indexed pngs (not sure) but as far as I know the programs i've read about for the automated conversion only transfer to jpeg.. which is just a horrible format for it... and from jpeg to gif/png would probably be just as bad

*edit

There are text to gif programs.. playing with one right now.. it's shareware though... "Advanced Text2Gif" plus you'd still have to do the html around it.. although a program like picesa or ACDSee that'll generate html galleries might make that simpler
pyro42

Post by pyro42 »

anyone feel like testing this for me

http://photos.pyro42.com/albums/userpic ... llery1.rar

inside is a php file and a bunch of images... i can't test it right now... wireless at work is WEP'd and i don't have the key
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

To anyone who cares...

PHP, ASP, ASPx (.NET), CFM, .CGI and all server-side technologies require a server!

Also.. the 127.0.0.1 DNS pointer requires a webserver at that end... there is none on the PSP (yet!)

You can only place static html, with javacript.

Admins, thread lock? You get my vote :) - seen threads locked for less
pyro42

Post by pyro42 »

pedroleite wrote:To anyone who cares...

PHP, ASP, ASPx (.NET), CFM, .CGI and all server-side technologies require a server!

Also.. the 127.0.0.1 DNS pointer requires a webserver at that end... there is none on the PSP (yet!)

You can only place static html, with javacript.

Admins, thread lock? You get my vote :) - seen threads locked for less
alright, so it won't work, gotcha.. didn't think it would, but i'd thought i'd get the idea out there to someone who might be able to make it work.

and i think i said that the 127.0.0.1 dns wouldn't work... not in those words.. but something like the psp doesn't like 127.0.0.1... it kicks you back to connection screen
pedroleite

Post by pedroleite »

It goes back to the connection screen... because it fails to find the web server...

It's a very, very dumb web browser... It must rely in work done by the developer to implement some features.

Anyone has a page that tests common javacript object DOM ?
pyro42

Post by pyro42 »

pedroleite wrote: Anyone has a page that tests common javacript object DOM ?
would that be....
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=1223&start=60
here?