Software crypto???

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Vyrus001

Software crypto???

Post by Vyrus001 »

this is a n00b question im sure, and the answer could possibly be somwhere in the forms alredy but if so, i could not find it so i am asking here :P

if it has been verified that the psp 1.00 firmware will and has been known to run "non - crypted" homebrew compiled elfs, then dosent that shoot the idea of the encryption key being inside the psp hardware in the foot? if the 1.5 will run only crypted data then that would mean that the entire crypt sequince as well as the rules for running crypted data only must be in the firmware update yes? meaning that the key is somwhere inside 1.5 eboot update file.
lmx

Post by lmx »

encryption still in hardware

switched ON OR OFF by software

assume cockup or failsafe (making sure the patch would work either way) making uncrypted executables run on psp1.0.
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

However, certain information required to RUN the encryption is stored in software in the form of certificates. So while there is likely an FPGA providing hardware assist on decryption/encryption (vital in latency-intolerant systems such as this), software still seems to have full control over it and what keys are used.
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

meaning that there should be a way to simply call a "null' encryption switch before running a binary so that we can "bypass" the key to a point to run code yes ?
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

You have to use code to turn off the switch, which means Sony either had to put it into the header (bad design), or we have a catch-22.
cyod

Post by cyod »

Actually I believe that it was revealed that the standard binaries made for psp (.prx i believe?) will only run encrypted, whereas version 1.00 allowed static .elf binaries run unencrypted. Apperently they realized this and fixed it before anyone else realized it with the 1.50 firmware.
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

The Wipeout Pure Dump is from the US version (which is 1.50-ready), and a lot of the PRXs are unencrypted. The catch is that the /main/ executable has to be encrypted/signed. (Possibly there are some exceptions from the UMD, since there is a specific trust relationship involved in the technology itself, as there are no burners, now we know why)
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

Krevnik wrote:The Wipeout Pure Dump is from the US version (which is 1.50-ready), and a lot of the PRXs are unencrypted. The catch is that the /main/ executable has to be encrypted/signed. (Possibly there are some exceptions from the UMD, since there is a specific trust relationship involved in the technology itself, as there are no burners, now we know why)
i dont think that is gona work, since sony has anounced that there WILL be umd burners as early as next year out there.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Where did Sony announce UMD burners? I thought it was quite the opposite.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Bumping this caused it to get moved to its rightful place - the Exploit forum.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Lee wrote:Where did Sony announce UMD burners? I thought it was quite the opposite.
Sony originally announced there would not be UMD burners available. A few months ago they announced they had decided to license the UMD format to other companies. They still made no mention of allowing UMD burners, and instead sounded like they were licensing the ability to create pressed UMDs and UMD ROM drives.

I have yet to hear anything from Sony saying they have decided to release UMD burners, if someone can point out where they have feel free.

It's very possibly immaterial though, they made a big deal about UMDs being formatted differently for different types, and that they would not be licensing the format for game UMDs, which would also mean UMD burners wouldn't be able to create game formatted UMDs. Unless it's just hype.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Vyrus001

Post by Vyrus001 »

Lee wrote:Where did Sony announce UMD burners? I thought it was quite the opposite.
let me clarify... they said that they will allow the licencing of the technology to other companies, meaning it would become posible for one of those companies to make a umd burner for use with movie and audio formats

http://www.psp411.com/show/news/25