JAP1.0 -> US1.5 Clearing Things Up

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

[mEGZ]

JAP1.0 -> US1.5 Clearing Things Up

Post by [mEGZ] »

* These are only my personal comments. Flaming is hardly necessary.

First off there was an exploit in the JAP 1.0 release of the PSPs firmware, this exploit allowed for 'homebrews' to be ran without the need of a signature. This opened a large information charge for developers, making things very easy. Things started happening and whoosh, a huge flow of 1.0 Firmware 'Code' was released to the community. This has created a huge trashcan for the new 1.5 firmware. Developers are still focusing on the 1.0 firmware, 'code' is still being updated and released for 1.0 ONLY. Im in no way flaming the 1.0 developers, im glad that they are developing things for the people who CAN use there code, hell i would use the code if i had a 1.0 firmware PSP. However the stupidity of the (what i will call) LEECHERS is angering current developers of the 1.0 version, and aggervating the community members who are working on 'cracking' the 1.5/1 versions. You see, if you continue to ask the same questions over and over eventually people are going to get so pissed with hearing the same shit over and over from people whining about it, that they will cese to continue there projects. (Myself personally being one of them who is sick of coming to these forms to find help with coding/cypt only to find 92859283 threads with the same crap that we already know.) People calm down give everyone who is trying the time. I have made progression myself however i wont be releasing anything to people who cant even begin to understand it. Below is some information, read it carefully as it should prevent stupidity from being reposted.

1: 1.0 'homebrew' will not currently work on the 1.5 versions.
2: There is no way to currently Downgrade your PSP firmware version.
3: Changing your version from 1.0->1.5/2.0 in the SFO to avoid your error message letting the PSP try to boot the code, accomplishes nothing.

[Edited Above Due To Stupidity Comment] ^
Hmm 2 quick things.
Fw 2.0 is out already?

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but the fact that homebrew run on 1.0 is no exploit; it's just a huge mistake by Sony, the PSP has never been hacked whatsoever i believe.

Later,

Alcahest
4: Start trying things yourself, you can help everyones effort by posting accidental errors in debug form, or atleast a form of which the data actually contains useful information.
5: BE PATIENT, STOP BUGGING US, SIT AND WAIT LIKE WE DO TRYING TO MAKE THINGS WORK. SOME OF US ARE DOING IT BECAUSE WE WANT IT TO WORK FOR OUR BENIFIT, HELL WHO DOESNT WANNA SIT AND PLAY MARIO FROM NINTENDO ON THE PSP OR PLAY SUPER METROID ON SNES, WE ALL DO SO COME ON. UNLESS YOUR GOING TO ASSIST US WITH INFORMATION THAT WILL HELP US, DONT BOTHER FLAMING US WITH OUR SLOW WORK.

Thanks all i have to say, unless you know what your doing dont make suggestions that make no sense at all. Give us information we can use to make things work for everyone, not just yourself.
Last edited by [mEGZ] on Mon May 30, 2005 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
-PSP 1.5-
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Hmm 2 quick things.
Fw 2.0 is out already?

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but the fact that homebrew run on 1.0 is no exploit; it's just a huge mistake by Sony, the PSP has never been hacked whatsoever i believe.

Later,

Alcahest
[mEGZ]

Post by [mEGZ] »

Its a reliative term of speaking as saying 'exploit'. Also take a look at some of the files that people are ignorantly releasing thinking there is a significance to them there version in the SFO has 2.00 edited into it.
-PSP 1.5-
DrEggman

Post by DrEggman »

I think that is part of the problem. The 1.5* users are seeing great progress for the 1.0 users. In accuallity, this is great progress for 1.5 once it becomes open. But the problem isn't so much the idiots posting or begging, its the lack of good information from people working on 1.5. To date, we have only heard that Team Xecuter is "working" on something. The 1.5 community, including myself, have nothing to go by so we almost feel like the devs just don't care. Even though this is not the case, some news on progress, or even things tried, will help significantly. People are getting so fed up that they use the public tools, make intros, hex SFOs, or even post fake videos and call it amazing. I ask the devs, please stop the maddness and tell the 1.5 users where we stand.
spiral

Post by spiral »

Everywhere I see news of homebrew software, there's always somebody who asks about 1.5, even if it says right in the news it's 1.0 only. The madness seems to be people who can't read, not devs not making information known. Lots of work is being put into cracking 1.5, but work does not equate to news or progress.
Grifis

Post by Grifis »

I second DrEggman. There is very little information dispersed about 1.5 development by the groups and individuals who are working with it. Also, those who are saavy with psp development/reverse engineering (internals, filetypes, scripting, etc.) have made very little attempt to relay some of their knowledge (possibly a new faq?) to the people who are very willing help test and do whatever they can to further this.

The endless questions by newbies regarding 1.5/1.51 are a direct result of the misinformation spread by some and the lack of information given by the developers.

I think an updated faq with getting started information on reversing your psp and possibly a forum/blog for developers to post their findings would go a LONG way.

Post by Guest »

Well, several comments,

The current crop of dev'ers are not prepared to handle such a huge sudden influx of newbies. This site more than doubled users since PSP release. Most want to be helpful, but it takes alot of time away from dev.

But you are right, documenting things with an eye towards helping newbs move up a notch or two to take the heat off will go a long way. Strike 2, with the sudden surge in PSP deving, there is so much new information that it is an overwhelming task, almost, to manage it all. We are just now seriously talking about putting together a wiki so that people can go into and document way more easily and with much more collaboration.

Releasing information can be a double edged sword. Many times the question comes up about HOW to release it. You know, ramifications, how can it be misused, etc... believe it or not, these things are often considered here, as people generaly don't want to be responsible for misuse.

People often don't want to release 50% through something. Problem is, the first 50% goes fast, the second 50% takes time.

Finally, remember the thrill of discovery. These people are in it for many motivations, but discovery is one. They love consoles, love programming them, and love discovering every last detail. They spend huge amounts of time doing it. Most have day jobs, some even have families. In this effort, they work for no one, governed primarily by loose consensus. They have earned the right to work at their own pace and on their own valuable time. Cut them some slack.

Got a problem with it ? Go spend the several years it took these folx to reach this current level. No one here reached it over night nor within a month or two (though Neov came close :P) so while waiting for 1.5, why not take the time to learn more about dev in general ? Put those old ps2's to use, you would be surprised how useful it will be :P

So what does all this have to do with 1.5 ? Nada. No one is remotely close to getting stuff running on 1.5, that I know of at least (well, without heroic frankenstein-like efforts ;). But 1.0 continues to be promising, with good possibilities that learning 1.0 thoroughly will spill over into 1.5.
Grifis

Post by Grifis »

Gorim, excellent post.

Most notably:
We are just now seriously talking about putting together a wiki so that people can go into and document way more easily and with much more collaboration.
I think would be a wonderful and highly beneficial idea for the newbies and developers alike.
[mEGZ]

Post by [mEGZ] »

gorim wrote: Releasing information can be a double edged sword. Many times the question comes up about HOW to release it. You know, ramifications, how can it be misused, etc... believe it or not, these things are often considered here, as people generaly don't want to be responsible for misuse.
This is a small influence on releasing progress, if we all released how far into the project we are it will only slow us down, honestly. We as DEV do not want to release certain information without forsight of weather our information was flawless or a waste of time. Releasing a specific amount of hardcore information would be in term 'wasting our efforts' mainly because the community is filled with people who think changing 2 numbers will make a significance. If you dont understand my point i will break it down here quickly.

> Dev releases information.
> Information is posted on 10 sites in 5 minutes of release.
> 200 Topics are started by people assuming this is a 100% breakthrough. Questions arise.
> Everything goes down the drain from there, no progress is being made by posting/suggesting nonsense.

Also its a challenge, we dont want our competition to know how far along we are until the time is right. Pretend its a coding competition, that only the judges know whats going on with each DEV.

If you want a small portion of progress ill share a small segment of mine with you but i wont go into detail, and i refuse to show you proof because i dont have time (or the equipment) to video it. Basing my research on the already released 1.0 SNES9x i was satisfied when after about 20 diffrent attempts i got SNES9x to load on my PSP 1.5, however i made no significant findings other then making the boot possible. I could not play a rom, for obvious reasons, i always get an Error with any rom that i use: "No rom header found" (i believe thats what it was) in yellow text. Im far from finished with my research but to say the least the 1.5 is very promising. Here is a perfect example of why we dont release information wait about 2 hours and this thread will be filled with the common '20 questions'. The community DEV (and myself personally for that matter) dont need it. :) Good Luck TeamX, Competion has arisen but will manpower over exert a single dev? Time will tell.
-PSP 1.5-
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

funny how this thread is gonna be locked soon for shens, yet again.
Later,

Alcahest
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

[mEGZ] you actually have not relayed a single piece of useful information, or said anything that we've haven't heard before. As far as your findings go, we take "put up or shut up" attitude around here, and it appears you are just trying to goad others into posting into this thread. Locking the thread because it has already gotten out of hand.

Post by Guest »

One more thing to a useless thread.

Other places make periodic updates of progress. These are invariably fake, because in most cases you cannot give progress updates with so many uncertainties or especially lack of progress. But for some reason, those other sites feel compelled to "fake" these things, maybe so as to keep interest or to satisfy their constituents.

Most dev folks here feel no need for these things, for many reasons I explained above. When they have something real and ready to announce, they will do it. As Mrb said, its a "put up or shut up" mentality.