dont flame me.. about 1.0

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

exiled

dont flame me.. about 1.0

Post by exiled »

I'm really a rookie at all this and am not even sure which forum would be appropriate to post this.. and understand I may get flamed to hell and back.. ive been trying to understand the scene but am still far behind...

but thought id ask anyway :)
How does the PSP update the BIOS? Is it a seperate "executable" than the actual game? I was active on the xbox scene for a little and often the dashboard updates took place through a dif executable (update.xbe rather than default.xbe) --- now i dont know how ignorant my comment may sound but maybe theres a way to point the PSP to running the main game rather than the update prog (if this is the case) and maybe some of the 1.0 users out there can avoid a firmware update?

^^^ as i said NO knowledge no my part but just an idea i thought id throw?? thanks for listenin

maybe somehow you could redirect through use of the memcard or something? no idea at all and may be encourageing the impossible but just an idea!
oki

Post by oki »

the update is a file that you download and run thru the main dash. but newer game are going to have an update built in so if you whant to play the games you have to update.
Marco_N

Post by Marco_N »

The game checks the current firmware version and refuses to load if it's lower than the required version; it comes with the then-current version and allows you to update. There might be a newer version from Sony or a lower version i.e. 1.50 instead of 1.51 might also do the trick.

Ways around this;

1. patching the execuable
=> does not work; the executable is digitally signed and when altered the PSP won't run it at all (note: I mean patching it so that running it off the memory stick, with the original UMD inserted for loading levels etc, it will work)

2. patching the firmware
=> does not work; not only is the patcher signed, the firmware also hasn't been decrypted yet so if a way around the patcher is found, no unencrypted firmware has surfaced yet.

In other words: nothing you can do right now.

GOOD ADVICE: ask about a game's firmware requirement before you buy! And at least for now, under no circumstance, update a v1.00 firmware PSP. The v1.00 will run unsigned code and you might be able to sell it in the new future for more than you can buy a brand-new 1.50/1.51 PSP.
Matrixdub

Post by Matrixdub »

Do any of the currently available games request a firmware update? I know for a fact that the following DON'T as I have them :-)

Darkstalkers Chronicle;
Ridge Racers;
Need For Speed Underground;
Metal Gear Acid;
Mercury;
Wipeout Pure.

These are the US versions.

I'm sure the JAP versions (with the exception of Mercury-that was quite new) don't require firmware updates as 1.50 was nonexistant when these came out.
cable16

Post by cable16 »

I'm sure no US releases require an update, not as sure about recent JAP games.