Anything?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

FlyMrFreakjar

Anything?

Post by FlyMrFreakjar »

Hey, is there anything us people that don't know code or programming can do? Like mindless repetitive tasks that could somehow help out? Anything? Or is the only way to help not making stupid posts like this... if so sorry.

Re: Anything?

Post by Guest »

FlyMrFreakjar wrote:Hey, is there anything us people that don't know code or programming can do? Like mindless repetitive tasks that could somehow help out? Anything? Or is the only way to help not making stupid posts like this... if so sorry.
Yes. You can choose to learn many of the skills involved and then come back 6-12 months later. Sure, you won't be helping us right away, but you would be doing yourself a big favor.
FlyMrFreakjar

Post by FlyMrFreakjar »

yeah i figured it would be something like that. alright I have the summer why not. later
Marco_N

Post by Marco_N »

FlyMr,

actually that tip is actually a very good one; the PSP is brand-new and uses a MIPS cpu (brand new even for people with 6502/Z80, then Motorola 680x0, then intel x86 experience), plus people are still figuring out function names, etc. It's a great moment to get on the train so when it finally gets running (fully working dev. environment, loader-hack to run your own code) you're aboard.
Danj

Post by Danj »

Heh, I used to be a whiz with 6502 assembler back when I was in school, because the school had all BBC Micros. I tried learning x86 ASM once but I found it a bit complicated; is MIPS assembler any easier?
Dan Jackson
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Danj wrote:Heh, I used to be a whiz with 6502 assembler back when I was in school, because the school had all BBC Micros. I tried learning x86 ASM once but I found it a bit complicated; is MIPS assembler any easier?
MIPS asm is like having your blank blanked all day while you blank blanks, compared to x86 asm. Really, it's that much better.
0xdeadface

Post by 0xdeadface »

Personally I feel it doesn't matter that much, whatever assembly you code, once you're used to thinking low level, the asm is just a small thing to get used to....each processor has its sweet opcodes (like the rep movs on 80x) and its pains (like the branch delay slot on the Mips). In the end they're all fairly the same...except the abundance of registers on Mips of course...that's sweet :)

Switching to another processor it always seems a complicated because you're used to certain constructs used on certain processors. Just persist and you'll get used to it pretty soon, no matter whether is 68000, 80x or Mips.

0xdf
senas8

Post by senas8 »

Im afraid by the time us newbies learn anything ...it will be too late to help out on the current problems, but hey we can educate ourselves for our own good....;

Post by Guest »

senas8 wrote:Im afraid by the time us newbies learn anything ...it will be too late to help out on the current problems, but hey we can educate ourselves for our own good....;
Ya know, if you learn stuff now, you can help out when the PS3 rolls around :P
StriderA

Post by StriderA »

For those who don't think it's possible to learn and help out...

Sometimes education hinders the mindset of a person. What I mean is there are times when people don't even think to try stuff because "it'll never work." If you really want to help, start looking into it and think up ideas. If you don't know how to do something, learn. Maybe your 'noob' thinking will be what finally opens the door for us.

Nothing in impossible for someone with determination and the will to learn.
Lost in a thought, found in a dream.
quedijo

Post by quedijo »

I know stuff but not enough to help. I understand technicall explinations and why we are limited but not enough to help. I can apreciate homebrew and exploits because I know the trouble it makes you go through... how? a book I recommend for all n00bs.

John Wiley And Sons
Assembly Language Step-by-Step Programming with DOS and Linux Second Edition

It doesn't cover all and (as you can tell) it starts you off with DOS. But you get the jist of how stuff works. From there ARM assembly will come easy. And lets face it, if you want to be a h4ck3r ( ;P ) you'll have to know mnemonics and binary opcodes... I'ts a beutifull world if you go into it and then you'll help out a lot...

Of course, I hope your not like me who is terrible at reading :-S i've read the book once and I understand but if I would go through it two more time I could actually be of some help. I will... some day :P
`^~${NONO}$~^`
"it's Not Joey, It's Noe!"
StriderA

Post by StriderA »

There are many resources that can help the would-be system hacker. Assembly is of course a really good place to start, but be warned... many people ignore the first few chapters of most assembly books because it talks about hardware and not assembly itself. Those first few chapters will be what gives you the best understanding of what any program does when you run it and the best idea on how to attack it. Registers, bus sizes, segments, and all that jazz are key when doing any advanced programming such as is required by most exploits.

Of course... the best route is just to go to college and work toward a Comp Science and Electrical Engineering degree. I almost have my CS, but I lack on the EE side. It helps alot.
Lost in a thought, found in a dream.