I know you get this a lot, but

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

robo.saiyuk

I know you get this a lot, but

Post by robo.saiyuk »

I was wondering about running a windows app on the psp....
I've seen programs like doom run on it.... know I'm a noob to this forum
Anyway I'm trying to run mugen a fighting game program made by electabtye on the psp 1.5 but I want to know do you have to rewrite code for the windows app? or do you just write code to boot up on the psp.....
I'm modrate in c++ as far as strings and arrays go, but i'm just getting to know linx.
Also what would you do if a homebrew app on a psp needs to call on mulitiple files would the files be apart of the eboot file? actually not because i saw the gen-emulater and its system fnt file was separate....well I need a good book on c++ any sugestions?
Thanx sorry if you answered this before
AnonymousTipster

Post by AnonymousTipster »

Firstly, Windows games generally run on DirectX, which the PSP does not use, so they are impossible to run without extreme code modification. Almost all windows apps will call on some library or function that is not on the PSP, again making it impossible.
The game that makes up doom is mainly just the .WAD file, which contains all 3D 2D and menu data for Doom. Basically, the Doom program was a .WAD parser, not a windows port.
The only possible way of putting a windows program on PSP is if you had the source, but it would mean a huge amount of coding in order to change all the Windows-exclusive functions int PSP compatible ones.

If you want to start coding for PSP, grab a book on C++ programming, and look at Nem's HelloWorld example as a starting point. Good luck, though.
booger

Post by booger »

Just a side note, Doom wasn't originally released as a Windows program. It was a DOS program. Same with Quake.
dasurfrdude27

Post by dasurfrdude27 »

Windows=DOS with a GUI... DOS=modified UNIX kernel... So it all comes down to UNIX... Yay Linux!! lol

EDIT.... actually DOS has hardly anything to do with UNIX... so... lol but it was BUILT on UNIX... lol sorry for the confusion
n1ckn4m3

Post by n1ckn4m3 »

Not to split hairs but:

WindowsXP/2K/NT are NOT based on DOS. They have completely stricken their basis on the standard command interpreter. Windows 95/98/Me were *somewhat* based on DOS, but only slightly.

Also, DOS was not based on, modeled after, upgraded from, or built on Unix. Unix and DOS are wholly separate entities with little to nothing to do with each other, unless you count the fact that they are both command line / console operating systems.

So, to clarify:

Windows = Sluggish and Bloated Operating System that requires about 5,738,482 of its own libraries to do ANYTHING. (Unless coded well for an encapsulated environment such as Java)
DOS = Command Line Operating System (Not built on Linux/Unix, built from Assembly Code iirc)
Unix = Created well before DOS Command Line Operating System, about 1,000x as powerful, about 10x as hard to use, and about 15,000x as efficient.

PS- Unix and Linux are two separate things too.

Again, sorry to split hairs.
... anyone up for some l33th4x?

;)