RELEASE: pspWeather v1.0

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mcdongle

RELEASE: pspWeather v1.0

Post by mcdongle »

Please read the README FIRST.txt

I will release the source soon, I want to clean up the code a little before I do so.

http://mcdongle.i8.com/

Readme File:

pspWeather v1.0
by mcdongle

Buttons:
Triangle key - (DISABLED) for refreshing was disabled due to it being somewhat buggy so disregard that message
Circle key - will exit, just as hitting menu and yes will exit
Square key - captures a screenshot of the display and places it at
\PSP\GAME\PSPWEATHER\screenshot.tga
Cross Key - (DISABLED) used to capture the weather image of your location to view later on.. but isn't working yet

Notes:
- I will release the code sometime soon after I clean it up a little bit
- Thanks to PspPet's posts on the new structures for sockaddr_in which made this possible.
- I used wifi_sample as a shell to create this.
- The weather icon will not update as of yet, I've not converted over the other images yet

To use: (this was taken from wifi_sample's readme and edited)
* There must be one configuration (multiple configuration selection not implemented)
* Do not use "DHCP" (otherwise the Connecting status will stop at "Waiting for DHCP")

#1) Be sure you can connect to that WiFi net using your PC

#2) Edit \PSP\GAME\PSPWEATHER\pspWeather.cfg and place your zip code in there
NOTHING ELSE! (must be a 5 digit zip code)

#3) run the program on PSP (both 1.0 and 1.50 versions available)

#4) on exit, see file \PSP\GAME\PSPWEATHER\pspWeather-errlog.txt on the memory stick for error logging

I'm sure there are bugs, please be patient and I'll try to fix them, or when I release the source you can =)
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

pspWeather v1.01 will be released very soon, with source code included. I'm doing some minor fixes and adding ability for non US users to also get weather.
Techit

Post by Techit »

You want ideas for the future I got one. Have a option to choose more than one zip code. I thought of using it when I travel or something.
Techit.org
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

Yeah I've also thought of this, I'll brainstorm a little and see if i can do that for 1.01

Thanks =)
Techit

Post by Techit »

eh I havnt messed with any of the WiFi stuff, but what does it mean by do not use DHCP?
Techit.org
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Make sure that you dont use "automagically connect me to my router" settings when setting up a wifi connection on your PSP. Instead do it the manual way and set yourself up with at static IP address.
Lego of my Ago!
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

It basically assigns you an IP address to use, what most people do use. I based this off of wifi_sample which also requires a static ip (doesn't know how to talk to the DHCP server I assume) so I have the same drawback in my application.
Techit

Post by Techit »

What would be the Default Router address then?
Techit.org
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

the gateway... usually xxx.xxx.xxx.1
Lego of my Ago!
Techit

Post by Techit »

er Sorry.. Ok on your PSP you have IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Router, Primary DNS, and Secondary DNS.

Thats the Default Router address i'm talking about.
Techit.org
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

it varies from router to router, but it's usually like this

IP:192.168.1.[anything below 100] -linksys (or 192.168.0.[anything below 100])-dlink
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Router: 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1)
Primary DNS: Don't really need.
Secondary DNS: again, dont need.

DNS is used to make "yahoo.com" into "127.0.0.1" (not really that, but you get the point). Right now, I don't think that there is a way on WIFI to do that conversion, so you don't need to use DNS.

If that tests OK, then you're good to go. If not, then check on your main computer what you IP address is and just change the last digit to like... 10.
Lego of my Ago!
Techit

Post by Techit »

Hmm ok thats really weird. I had all the same address like you posted but I had both promary DNS and secondary DNS filed. I just change secondary to 0.0.0.0 and first one to something random.

That worked! Thanks for not picking on me. We can get back to the main topic on the really cool pspWeather program. Which by the way works great for me.
Techit.org
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

Agoln wrote: If that tests OK, then you're good to go. If not, then check on your main computer what you IP address is and just change the last digit to like... 10.
Or any other number but the one that's in use by that computer or any other computer on your LAN =)
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

I must say that PSPWeather is just awesome! I'm hoping to possibly see the weather icon change in v1.01? ;)
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

wulfie wrote:I must say that PSPWeather is just awesome! I'm hoping to possibly see the weather icon change in v1.01? ;)
Well since I've changed more than i thought, I'm going to jump up to 1.05 instead of 1.01, and yes it will change the icons =)

After a bit, I'm going to recode again so it uses the PSPSDK more and not any custom stuff I've been using. PspPet released a new wifi_sample that will probably help me alot =)
Mike/Pippin

Post by Mike/Pippin »

Hey How about you make a Menu thing that looks similar to this-

-The Add New Profile Asks for the City Name and the Zip code. Then adds it to the profiles.

-When you click one of the profiles it writes that Zipcode to the Reader one.(The config file)

Its simple and its a good idea. :D
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

Mike/Pippin wrote:Hey How about you make a Menu thing that looks similar to this-

-The Add New Profile Asks for the City Name and the Zip code. Then adds it to the profiles.

-When you click one of the profiles it writes that Zipcode to the Reader one.(The config file)

Its simple and its a good idea. :D
Yeah it is a good idea. I would love to have something similar to this but as of right now I'm having issues with the new implementation of more than one zipcode (9 max so far, when I redo this code so it works with the PSPSDK 100% then I can increase this limit). I just hope to get out this new version VERY SOON and the source so maybe someone else who is better than I am at doing the GUI might want to take a shot at it. If not i'll surely make something like you're asking, but no clue as to when.

Thanks for your idea =)
Techit

Post by Techit »

If ya ask me.. no more than 9 zip codes are needed... I wouldnt think any ways.
Techit.org
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

how about a display that looks like something similar to the one in the top right of my desktop image found here
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

Aye, you're using weather 2004 on Serious Samurize right? This is what I was going to use and figure out where to get the maps from =)
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

don't really need the maps, I was just talking about the top of my configuration. If you wanted to use the maps, just use the zipcode and get 'em from weather.com. Unfortunately it'll only work for the states. But I think a display like that would make PSPWeather the KING of weather apps for the PSP! ;)
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

wulfie wrote:don't really need the maps, I was just talking about the top of my configuration. If you wanted to use the maps, just use the zipcode and get 'em from weather.com. Unfortunately it'll only work for the states. But I think a display like that would make PSPWeather the KING of weather apps for the PSP! ;)
This actually works for all over, i've successfully gotten pictures of Italy. I just need to figure out some problems i'm having with pointers because I just plain suck with them and 1.05 will be released :\

I'll make a nicer display and forecast later on. Trying to concentrate on just the core of the app
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

well if you need any help with gfx, i.e. icons and such, just give me a holler. Keep up the good work! :)
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

wulfie wrote:well if you need any help with gfx, i.e. icons and such, just give me a holler. Keep up the good work! :)
Will do, thanks =)
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

pspWeather v1.05 is now released. Get it at http://mcdongle.i8.com

Spread the word =)
wulfie

Post by wulfie »

nice to see a new build so quickly! :D I do have a question though. I noticed that you have multiple location id's in the config yet I can't figure out a way to switch 'locations'. I'm guessing this feature hasn't been implemented yet?

edit: man, that's what I get for testing stuff at 4am! Just noticed the 'location id's' under the shoulder buttons. DUH!!
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

Haha hey yeah I guess I completely forgot to say that in the readme =P thanks i'll edit it on the site
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

Tripod disabled my account, need to find somewhere to host v1.05. The current website says my quota is full.

edit: pointed the download link to www.pspupdates.com. They fortunately grabbed a copy in time
mcdongle

Post by mcdongle »

Could this topic be locked please? New thread open for v1.05