run UMD's WITHOUT a firmware upgrade

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

silverbyte

run UMD's WITHOUT a firmware upgrade

Post by silverbyte »

Today, Placasoft from psp-arena.de has released a program called “PSP_No_Update_UMD_Starter” for the PSP. In the readme he claims that: “This program avoids the update necessity from new PSP games. The PSP cannot be destroyed by doing this!!!”
Testing this program out, it asks for the UMD to be in the drive and then will launch the UMD that is in it, bypassing the update! Many thanks to Placasoft for this release from PSP users everywhere.
sorry but i was unable to find the file off psp-arena.de, so i was forced to use link from psphacker. (shrugs)
SO anyone who has [1.0/1.50] and needs a game that needs 1.51 or 1.52 update to play, you can now safely do so with this laucher.

Now Im sure thats good news to some.
Last edited by silverbyte on Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q

Post by Q »

Yeah, that's actually excellent news :)
I'm sufferin' from a severe illness called brilliance.
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

this doesn't work and cannot work...

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... ght=#17264
mrdelayer

Post by mrdelayer »

Not necessarily. The game will fail if it accesses functions available only in firmware 1.50, for example; but if it only requires you to update to 1.50 to prevent homebrew and, dare i say, piracy, then it may work.
silverbyte

Post by silverbyte »

IF it doesn't work for the reason that IT NEEDS functions or calls to NEWER firmware, then vampire, you are correct.
But if if just needs a version check, and doesn't actually require system calls to newer firmware. Then the loader should work.

I think what will happen is that all the games NOW that require 1.51/1.52 99% will end up working, but as time goes on, developers will use the newer firmware to run there games/apps. And slowly the loader will become obsolete.
Hopefully in time, some other method can be figured out. Which im sure it will.

I guess all we need is some1 with a 1.5, to try a game that uses 1.51/1.52 and test it out for us...
MindWall

Post by MindWall »

[REMOVED]
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

That's enough on this subject.