Sony 2.0 firmware update

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Danj

Sony 2.0 firmware update

Post by Danj »

Sony Japan just announced the details of the upcoming 2.0 firmware update which is apparently coming out on the 27th:

Network:
  • Internet browser was added. (Doesn't yet support Macromedia Flash, some webpages will not be displayed correctly)
Video:
  • Jump function was added (UMD Video and UMD Music).
  • A-B repeat function was added (UMD Video, UMD Music and Memory Stick Duo)
  • 4:3 screen mode was added (Memory Stick Duo)
  • Voice switch function was added (Memory Stick Duo)
  • MP4 AVC support was added (Memory Stick Duo)
Music:
  • SonicStage version 3.2 now supports using ATRAC3plus with the Memory Stick PRO Duo on the PSP.
  • MP4 AAC and WAV PCM support added (Memory Stick Duo)
Photo:
  • Wallpaper function was added.
  • Sending and receiving of images was added.
  • TIFF, GIF, PNG and BMP support added.
Settings:
  • Korean language was added.
  • Theme setting was added.
  • Security setting was added.
  • WPA-PSK support added.
This has mostly been machine translated from this page, make of it what you will. Looks like Sony might have finally realised that people want more features on their PSP, so it could result in a difficult decision for some people whether they want the new features or to carry on running homebrew.

(Edit: seems that SonicStage 3.2 now supports PRO Duo for Atrac3)
Last edited by Danj on Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Jackson
Energy

Post by Energy »

At last they've added some decent features,
this is very hard. If I had the money I'd go out and buy a white psp and update that...

However most of this stuff should of been made availble at the start.
Oh and jsut a quick OF Q. Why can't PRO DUO MS hold Atract 3 files. Sonicstage just won't transfer to them... why?
Danj

Post by Danj »

Energy wrote:Oh and jsut a quick OF Q. Why can't PRO DUO MS hold Atract 3 files. Sonicstage just won't transfer to them... why?
I've asked this before and not gotten an answer, it also tells you flat out on the MemoryStick.com website that Pro and Pro Duo can't use Atrac3.. I've no idea why.
Dan Jackson
qyqgpower

Post by qyqgpower »

the translation made a mistake, the ATRAC3plus is made available on MSPD with SonicStage 3.2
Danj

Post by Danj »

qyqgpower wrote:the translation made a mistake, the ATRAC3plus is made available on MSPD with SonicStage 3.2
Hmm, I just checked it with another translation engine and it seems you're right, it now supports Pro Duo. Cool!
Dan Jackson
Energy

Post by Energy »

Danj wrote:
qyqgpower wrote:the translation made a mistake, the ATRAC3plus is made available on MSPD with SonicStage 3.2
Hmm, I just checked it with another translation engine and it seems you're right, it now supports Pro Duo. Cool!
now I want 2.0 :/
all the other format support is good. And the background changer included is a nice idea... wonder where they got that idea from lol (ok so they probably thought of it before, but still it's funny that they released it in second place).

I hope that team excuter wern't speaking crap when they rumoured a new exploit.
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> Oh and jsut a quick OF Q. Why can't PRO DUO MS hold Atract 3 files. Sonicstage just won't transfer to them... why?
[been discussed to death on the CLIE BBS, here's a recap]
"ATRAC3" / "ATRAC3plus" is the audio compression scheme (like MP3, OGG etc). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATRAC
"Magic Gate" is a marketing name for Sony DRM. There are (at least) two kinds of "Magic Gate" technology (I call them "V1" and "V2", see below).
Sony decided to combine them, so you can only play ATRAC3 music with DRM intact. Using SonicStage is another topic (requires the proper software and memory stick reader)
---
What I call "Magic Gate V1", is an enhanced software protocol (challenge/response with random keys) built on the regular memory stick API - used for DRM. It only works on the WHITE (non-pro) regular memory sticks stamped with both "MG" logo and "Magic Gate" or the 32MB MS DUO (non-pro) for the PSP.
These sticks have different hardware/firmware in them. Originally a 128MB WHITE stick was $20 more than the equivalent 128MB BLUE stick.

The newer Magic Gate DRM (what I call V2) is not supported in the CLIEs or the current PSP. This is stamped on all Magic Sticks sold these days. Not supported by the current Sonic Stage.
----
Sony has been working on this newer DRM for 2 or 3 years now. With the PSP 2.0 firmware and SonicStage update, it looks like they finally figured it out (for the PSP, probably not the CLIE). I speculate it will be a software based solution (since it can't use the hardware support in the V1 sticks)
An interesting question: will it need a "Magic Gate" capable stick reader (like the current support) or will any stick reader do (including the PSP USB Mode) ??
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

So if I get this right, it may be that the SonicStage transfer software is the cause of the problem, and that updating it to 3.2 will enable playback of Attrac3Plus files even on current OS PSPs (1.0, 1.5, 1.51, 1.52) ? Or am I completely mistaken?
Danj

Post by Danj »

Arwin wrote:So if I get this right, it may be that the SonicStage transfer software is the cause of the problem, and that updating it to 3.2 will enable playback of Attrac3Plus files even on current OS PSPs (1.0, 1.5, 1.51, 1.52) ? Or am I completely mistaken?
It seems likely that you will need to update both SonicStage and the firmware on your PSP to get it to work. I doubt it will work if you just update SonicStage.
Dan Jackson
killerseven

Re: Sony 2.0 firmware update

Post by killerseven »

Danj wrote: [*]MP4 AVC support was added (Memory Stick Duo)
Does this imply fullscreen movies from memory stick?

That would be the only thing that could tempt me into upgrading / buying a 'spare' psp.
NBC

Post by NBC »

charset and WPA looks nice too
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

killerseven wrote:
Danj wrote: [*]MP4 AVC support was added (Memory Stick Duo)
Does this imply fullscreen movies from memory stick?

That would be the only thing that could tempt me into upgrading / buying a 'spare' psp.
Well, that is unknown... but we will know on the 27th. I am already stuck at 1.51, so I am likely to upgrade for the features... as 2.0 only lacks 1 thing I would really like to see right now: vCard/Address Book support.

AVC is also known as H.264, the new 'higher quality' codec that currently performs exceptionally well at very low bitrates (even x264 already beats out XviD at the 200-500kbps range).
Danj

Post by Danj »

Krevnik wrote:I am already stuck at 1.51, so I am likely to upgrade for the features...
Me also, I think.
Krevnik wrote:AVC is also known as H.264, the new 'higher quality' codec that currently performs exceptionally well at very low bitrates (even x264 already beats out XviD at the 200-500kbps range).
Are there any usable H.264 codecs that don't suck yet? Quicktime's v7 preview is way too slow, even on my 3000+ with 1gb of ram it won't play 720p decently, so I hate to think what it'd be like for encoding, and everything else seems to be overly complicated or not available in binary form.
Dan Jackson
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

Well, H.264 is VERY new... so companies like Sony and Apple are going to be the first with implementations (Sony's is a hardware decoder, so they have it easy). x264 is an opensource implementation which you can bet will wind up in in ffmpegX soon enough. Encode speeds will suck for awhile... but being able to save some space is the benefit... :)

Oh, and it does appear the Sony will allow AVC content on the MS to go full-screen automagically. Although I am not sure what the resolution limit is yet. IGN has a video of the Browser in action, using it to download an AVC clip from Sony's site, and then playing it back full-screen on the PSP... the quality seriously owns :).

Well, the thing about AVC is that while designed for HD, it also has strengths in the low-bitrate range. So, the idea is that you can push a 480x360 sort of encode into the PSP, and have it decoded in hardware. Also, the PSP does hardware decode, not software (like QT7 does). Oh, and another thing to mention is that QT7 on Windows has poor H.264 performance. My 1.2Ghz Mac Mini can decode 480p without dropping a frame, and can stay above 20 fps with 720p on a 32MB Radeon 9200. Although your machine should stomp mine without question, and so should a 3Ghz HT Xeon (my work machine), but the HT Xeon chokes on 720p as if it was my cheap-o Mac.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Funny how a few of the things this update contains has been in the hands of the community for a while now through homebrew.

I really don't know if I want this update or not. The browser may be nice and being able to legitimately change the background of the PSP would be much nicer.

But I do like hitting up some old SNES and Genesis classics. And who doesn't love some good ole Doom on the PSP?

I'll stick it out for the time being. Maybe if I buy another PSP I'll upgrade that... But then as my luck would have it, homebrew will go online and head to head...
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

haha screw that, not updating, i'd rather buy another psp then update. Unless someone finds a crack for it. but they are some pretty spiffy features.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
TheDevilsJester

Post by TheDevilsJester »

At some point in time you will be forced to update. A game you absolutely must play will be released and require an update. FF7, GTA, games along those lines, big hitters. Sony is counting on it.

I dont have the money for a second PSP (just bought a house), but I know if some of those big hitters are released (and require an update) I will end up updating. Sony has already won, its just a matter of time.

What I am counting on is the skill of the people involved in this scene, and knowing that its only a matter of time before we can run homebrew and not worry about updates. We have come along way so far, I know we can go further.
thunder.child

Post by thunder.child »

Awesome. This is where having an extra PSP pays off. I'm definately upgrading my 1.51 PSP and keeping my 1.50 for homebrew. Good stuff this update has. :D
greenlase

Post by greenlase »

hmm....

It'd be cool if we could develope a method of emulating the PSP on PSP. Yeah, sounds pointless... but if we could emulate a V2.0 psp on a 1.5 psp, at least we could run the new games. you know, maybe download the bios manually like we've done, and plug that into...

sorry. I think we're all gonna get kinda desperate when GT4/PSP is tauting us.
yes... new account... but I've been here the whole time.
inott

Post by inott »

according to the text on the jap website...looks like something supports h.264...hot sex.
inott

Post by inott »

not clear on what this translated text means...but sounds good to me.:

the same as the UMD disk H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is adopted. Attendant upon this, you say from firmware version 2 that it is designed in such a way that it can play back the file of H.264 type inside the memory stick.
pokesomi

Post by pokesomi »

Ok i had my brother who speaks and reads japanese translate the website and the new charset being added is Korean. other than that the machine translation is spot on.
Energy

Post by Energy »

greenlase wrote: sorry. I think we're all gonna get kinda desperate when GT4/PSP is tauting us.
I don't think it will get too bad, regarding games anyway, there will be patches created that allow you to skip the bios checks. However it's the extra features that are so tempting. Admitedly they are things that should of been there in the first place.

In my perfect dreams sony would allow us to do this but give us a unique private digital signiture for $20 or something like that. We can then code and excute homebrew code, if sony believes that someone has made something that can be classed as piracy they block off the signiture that was used in the code for the pirate games. Each PSP would recieve new blocked off signitures when they did a firmware update. Heck if they were really paronoid they could put a time limit on how long (say something like 6 months) that homebrew would work, before it became invalid, only to be refreshed after you did the next firmware update.

That way we could have homebrew software, sony would have extra clean software that would cause more interest in the system. they'd make money on people paying $20 or whatever to be able to develop. It'd be win win.

But yeah like that's going to happen.

I hate how homebrew coders get classed as pirates. We just like to be able to do our own thing.

(there aint a human rights issue here is there??? lmao)
Latexxx

Post by Latexxx »

Danj wrote:Are there any usable H.264 codecs that don't suck yet? Quicktime's v7 preview is way too slow, even on my 3000+ with 1gb of ram it won't play 720p decently, so I hate to think what it'd be like for encoding, and everything else seems to be overly complicated or not available in binary form.
The best avc encoders currently are Ateme's (comes with Nero Recode) and x264. Doom9 has written a nice gui for x264. That can be found here.
theXbutton

Post by theXbutton »

Energy wrote: That way we could have homebrew software, sony would have extra clean software that would cause more interest in the system. they'd make money on people paying $20 or whatever to be able to develop. It'd be win win.

But yeah like that's going to happen.

I hate how homebrew coders get classed as pirates. We just like to be able to do our own thing.
Danger, Inc., the people behind the Sidekick, do this - and quite successfully, I might add.

The SK is basically a Java-based proprietary machine. Legitimate developers can ask Danger for a so called developer's key which is nothing more than a hash. The requirements are clearly outlined - you must demonstrate programming ability and you must submit code that implements a new concept (that way, simply throwing together some 'hello world' code won't work).

The problem is that your code only runs on other developer machines (ie. it's restricted to Sidekicks that are in dev-mode). But considering that the Sidekick is basically a glorified cell phone with data services (ie. a lifestyle device, and not a console), I have to admit that there's an impressively active SK development community out there.

With regard to Sony and the PSP, I believe that image control will always win out over homebrew developer's needs. Even if Sony managed to implement a working and effective PKI system (which is basically what you're proposing and is, quite unfortunately, a lot harder to accomplish in reality than it looks on paper), there would still be the negative PR if just one thing goes wrong.

Sure, Sony could disable the offending key but that's merely damage control. They can't go back and retroactively undo the damage. And image is a very important part of everything Sony is doing (just look how image and public perception work for Apple, a company that by most analysts' predictions should have gone belly up years, if not decades, ago).

It's a nice dream but, as you say, it just ain't gonna happen.
DigitalFoundry

Post by DigitalFoundry »

I wonder if the H.264 playback will be as crippled as the MP4-SP module is in the current PSP firmware?
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

inott wrote:not clear on what this translated text means...but sounds good to me.:

the same as the UMD disk H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is adopted. Attendant upon this, you say from firmware version 2 that it is designed in such a way that it can play back the file of H.264 type inside the memory stick.
We were discussing it earlier... you can use H.264 video and AAC audio in an MP4 container on the PSP with the update... instead of just H.263 like we have been using.
DigitalFoundry wrote:I wonder if the H.264 playback will be as crippled as the MP4-SP module is in the current PSP firmware?
If you read earlier posts, it isn't. The added functionality is partially to support Sony's upcoming "Portable TV" service where you can do things like use the Web Browser to download AVC content from their server and play it directly on the PSP. Sony figured it was just better to unlock the whole mess in one go than try to figure out how to only let their content run at full-screen. :)
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

the only reason i bought my psp is for development purposes. i'm not going to update for any games. but, i will consider buying another psp, when it adventually goes for $150
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
almazlamaz

Post by almazlamaz »

not gonna upgrade :)