Sony 2.0 firmware update

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

theXbutton

Post by theXbutton »

Thanhda wrote:the only reason i bought my psp is for development purposes. i'm not going to update for any games. but, i will consider buying another psp, when it adventually goes for $150
I won't be updating either but I am afraid it's going to be a while before the PSP hits the $150 mark. It's not even out in Europe at this point and there's still the economies of scale question. If Sony is selling the PSPs at a loss and hoping to break even within a year or two (likely, as production costs aren't fixed either), there simply won't be a price drop until there's a significant drop in demand.

The European release in September might actually help though. At this point, it's cheaper for most Europeans (ie. those in the Euro zone which is Europe minus the UK and Switzerland if I am not mistaken) to import a PSP from Japan than to pay MSRP when it finally comes out. The only difference is the warranty (mandatory 2 year warranty vs. 6 months warranty).
Danj

Post by Danj »

theXbutton wrote:The only difference is the warranty (mandatory 2 year warranty vs. 6 months warranty).
Surely you mean mandatory 1 year warranty vs. no warranty at all? Imported products' warranties are not usually honoured unless the retailer/website you bought them from are prepared to handle it for you, and as far as I'm aware the law over here only requires a mandatory 1 year warranty, not 2.
Dan Jackson
Thanhda

Post by Thanhda »

well at the point it cost 100 to 150 on ebay. because soon there will be lanching the stand alone package for 200 to 150 dollars. so on ebay it will be sure selling for less.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
MelGibson

Post by MelGibson »

Thanhda wrote: so on ebay it will be sure selling for less.
Depends on what firmware version the EU models ship with imho :D
Famicom DS

Post by Famicom DS »

Well I got a 1.00 and a 1.50 I originally bought the 1.50 as the "spare" psp but my 1.00 is brand new used maybe 2 times? Now that 1.5 is cracked I use it for homebrew and other stuff.. I really don't want to upgrade my 1.50 to 2.00 and start using my new 1.00 for homebrew because I am very anal about my stuff and I don't want air to touch it thats how anal I am
Danj

Post by Danj »

MelGibson wrote:
Thanhda wrote: so on ebay it will be sure selling for less.
Depends on what firmware version the EU models ship with imho :D
It's extremely likely that the EU models will ship with 2.00 preinstalled (or possibly even higher if there are further firmware releases between now and September).
Dan Jackson
qwed88

Post by qwed88 »

2.00 is out in Japan now, no U.S. version yet

http://www.playstation.jp/psp/update/ud_01.html
pirloui

Post by pirloui »

I've got it, and the browser, although quite basic; is a very very nice addition.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

Is the browser installed into Firmware or is placed onto the memory stick and accessed when you select it from the menu? And, did you happen to notice if it caches the pages and has support for things not supported in the Wipeout browse?
Wil

Post by Wil »

It's just a normal firmware update -- browser is installed into the firmware and a new icon is added to the XMB. The browser does have a Cache file -- which is defaulted at 512kb but you can make it as big as 2 megs.

The browser is very basic, but atleast 10x faster than the wipeout browser. You can download any file you want right onto your memory stick using the browser, but you can only play what now works on the psp (mp3, aac, wav, mpeg4, mp4, jpg, gif, png, tiff, bmp). The browser also supports cookies but no flash or java support.

The browser also has tabs (so you can have 3 different pages open at once) and I have yet to have any problems with popups.

I was able to downloada 22meg mp4 off my server which sends at 115kb/s in about 2.5 minutes and play it right away. I believe the psp can get speed much faster than this however.

You can now use a background image in your XMB but they appear in full screen full res and it gets rid of the wavy lines. You get a new Theme Settings option which allows you to choose the color you want (the 12 origional colors), or you can choose where it updates each month. It also allows you to turn off your background image.

I haven't tested the new video format --- and all this is on a US PSP. Being I had a 1.51 before, it was worth the upgrade.

Hope this helps.
Wil
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

I doubt this works but here i go has anyone tried useing Proc: Commands through the Browser to try and load Homebrew or even just try point it to something homebrew like fatms:/PSP/GAME/*/EBOOT.PBP this browser is built into the Firmware who knows?
EdwardFMA/IchigoKurosaki - PSP Expert
Athlon 64 - Socket 939 - 3000+
1GB 333 DDR-Ram
Geforce 6600 GT PCI-Express

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
Wil

Post by Wil »

Nope, all it did was bring up the screen asking to save the file (which is weird, considering it's already on the memory stick :P).

Wil
Wil
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

theXbutton wrote: Danger, Inc., the people behind the Sidekick, do this - and quite successfully, I might add.

<snip>
You know, I was thinking about this, and Java would actually be the perfect solution. With Flash support (practically hinted at as a possible future feature?) being a somewhat-workable solution.

Java has one nice feature that Sony would like: it abstracts code so far from the system, it denies direct access to RAM/etc by the developer. Sony can provide a feature-set through something like the J2ME platform (J2SE is likely too large to support completely), and still retain some ability for copyright protection. In this way, Java cannot be used for piracy, but still provides homebrewers a platform to work with.

Flash, while allowing a nice multimedia experience for games and short indy animations, doesn't have file access and the like, meaning you won't get an address book app in Flash any time soon.

That said, javascript is capable of some impressive things, and I am enjoying the address book functionality in my v2.0 PSP. :P
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

ARe IFRAMES and FRAMES supported with this browser? i've been working with the Tenchi No Mon Browser and trying to make a PSP 2.0 User Interface, but it dosen't support IFRAMES or FRAMES. I don't think this is breaking the rules because the browser is just a Module with a program opening up that Module ;)
1GB 333 DDR-Ram

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
defor

Post by defor »

iframes and frames work, layers and css seem to work as well,
one bug I found, which I cannot find a contact at sony to report it to is the non-support for Daylight Savings in the js date() object.

regardless of the DST setting in the system options, js date() seems to assume that the current time is in standard mode all the time (timezones work fine and convert fine to UTC, but the DST issue plagues getting an accurate system time for use is scripts. This is unacceptable in my mind for proper support of this object, and I'd prefer to hear a followup from sony that write a custom library to intercept calls to new date() in js.

overall, the browser is a remarkable achievement for portable browsing technology, far surpassing anything i have seen on similar platforms, sony clie, embedded browsers on other consoles, etc.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

defor wrote:browser is a remarkable achievement for portable browsing technology, far surpassing anything i have seen on similar platforms, sony clie, embedded browsers on other consoles, etc.
Looking at a Nokia 7710 widescreen ad, I wonder if that includes that phone. Its browser looks very similar but includes Flash 6.0
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> i've been working with the Tenchi No Mon Browser ... I don't think this is breaking the rules because the browser is just a Module with a program opening up that Module ;)
(soap box)
I won't quote the rules, but to be legal homebrew friendly I politely suggest not propagating or improving the pirated version of that browser.
FWIW: When I first saw it (on another forum) I thought it was a great achievement - until I found out it was only a loader for a pirated version of part of a commercial game.
If you own the game, and you ripped the modules yourself, that's fine. But I suspect 99.9% of the people using that browser don't own the game they are pirating.
Improving the user interface only increases the demand and helps the folks who have no respect for copyrighted material.
(end soap box)

FWIW: Building using 2.00 components *may* be possible without unauthorized redistributing of copyrighted material.
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

Propogating modules (especially unencrypted) from the Firmware is just as bad as ripping it from a game and then propogating it. It is still Sony's IP in either respect, and they have a say in how it is used. They haven't given anyone who hasn't bought the SDK any rights to redistribute modules with their software, and thus, if you include the module with the browser... don't be too surprised when lawyers start C&D-ing your e-mail box and phone to death.

The browser in 2.0 does have some potential, since it has Javascript support. While cookies are nice, I found out that cookies are also purged REALLY FAST. So example scripts like the Address Book example don't actually work that well, you browse to a site and your address book is wiped from memory. Whoops. :(

Still, at least some simple Javascript stuff is now possible on 2.0 without a network connection or any special hacks. I haven't checked into all the protocols 2.0 supports (seems like they dropped it down to just http(s) and file), or the range of support from CSS, but it does have some minor potential for some computer-connected functionality. Such as a small app which can dump a nice HTML/CSS/Javascript document onto your PSP with contacts, appointments, etc... and make it relatively easy to navigate on the PSP.

Something is better than nothing. :)
zenjay

PSP Web Dev vs. PSP Homebrew

Post by zenjay »

As a professional Web Developer I having a hard time deciding whether I want to keep my 1.5 so I can homebrew vs. upgrading to 2.0 so I can develope stuff on the Web for the PSP.

Sony, why did you have to make such a tough choice!!!!
ENEX

Javascript capabilites

Post by ENEX »

Some testing on the new browser reveals that it is using Javascript 1.2 (very old). setTimeout() doesn't work.. Checking the useragent also reveals Mozilla/4.0, which is Netscape 4.

Ran browser thru a capability tester:

User agent: Mozilla/4.0 (PSP (PlayStation Portable); 2.00)
Browser: Netscape 4.0
Frames: True
iFrame: False
Cookies: Enabled
BackgroundSound: False
VBScript: False
JavaApplets: True
JavaEnabled: True
JavaVersion: Java N/A (applet not accessible)
JavaVendor: Java N/A (applet not accessible)
ActiveXControls: False
SSL: True
SSLEnabled: True
SSLActive: False
SSLKeySize: 128 bits
Win16: False
Crawler: False
StyleSheets: True
Firewall: True
DHTML: True
FileUpload: Yes
MouseOver: True
PNG: False
FontSmoothing: False
FontColor: True
FontSzie: True
TableBGColor: True
JavascriptVer: 1.2
TableBGImage: True
XML: False
WAP: False
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

Anyone make an attempt to see how comprehensive the CSS support really is? Maybe run it through the Acid or Acid 2 test?
Arwin

Re: PSP Web Dev vs. PSP Homebrew

Post by Arwin »

zenjay wrote:As a professional Web Developer I having a hard time deciding whether I want to keep my 1.5 so I can homebrew vs. upgrading to 2.0 so I can develope stuff on the Web for the PSP.

Sony, why did you have to make such a tough choice!!!!
I agree. I think when the European PSP comes out I will either get one of those, or get me a US one ... loads more UMDs coming out for that one it seems, and a lot cheaper too. Maybe I'll use that one for regular stuff, and keep the 1.5 as a development machine, and then I'll see which I use more ...

I don't know. I'm trying to save money (or rather reduce the red on my banksheets) so I'd rather not have to choose yet for a while!

Ah who am I kidding - homebrew is going to end up being cooler anyway. And soon enough people will be paying to mod their PSP 2.0s ... I'm just going to have to be patient. Besides, I don't even have a wireless router or anything yet!
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

I have one Question WHY WOULD ANYONE UPGRADE TO THIS FIRMWARE! we now have nifty programs that well get around the must update thing and the web browser could even be developed for 1.0/1.5 as we've seen it's built off Mozillia why not develop an Open Source Browser for the PSP useing a newer much better Mozillia with Flash and Java Applet support! even if no one is up to the task to makeing a Mozillia Browser for the PSP i know i'm gonna look more into this new browser and see if there is a way to run this off the Memory Stick ^_^

Also may i add why is a module illegal last time i checked if i had a problem with my Windows i could download the one corrupted DLL on dll-files.com DLL and PRX files are alike they are called Libaries so as i see it the Modules aren't illegal but thats my two cents ;)
1GB 333 DDR-Ram

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

EdwardFMA wrote:I have one Question WHY WOULD ANYONE UPGRADE TO THIS FIRMWARE! we now have nifty programs that well get around the must update thing and the web browser could even be developed for 1.0/1.5 as we've seen it's built off Mozillia why not develop an Open Source Browser for the PSP useing a newer much better Mozillia with Flash and Java Applet support! even if no one is up to the task to makeing a Mozillia Browser for the PSP i know i'm gonna look more into this new browser and see if there is a way to run this off the Memory Stick ^_^
I hit 1.51 shortly before 1.5 was hacked. My gf got her PSP upgraded by Sony because it was defective on arrival, and she slacked around on the exchange until it was too late. Now, the question I asked myself is: Is it worth it sitting on 1.51 until someone hacks it, or should I upgrade to 2.0, get some of the features I want out of homebrew, and a framework (Web Browser) to add some of the others I want (address book reader)?

Because I cannot contribute anything to the homebrew scene without my employer's permission (gotta love anti-conflict-of-interest agreements), the answer was simple: upgrade. I can do more good for the PSP scene by working on sync utilities for the Mac and utilizing the browser (which isn't directly related to the stuff my employer does, and doesn't connect them to homebrew indirectly), than I can sitting on my butt waiting for something to happen and unable to contribute anything, even when it does.

Good enough reason for ya?

Oh and Sony's browser isn't Mozilla, practically everything reports themselves as Mozilla these days (except IE). If a browser reports itself as Mozilla rather than as itself, it avoids getting kicked out by the browser lameness filters IT guys at companies put on their sites.

Additional: Flash support isn't gonna happen. It is a closed platform from Macromedia. It is expensive, and why would Macromedia license it to the homebrewers to use on the PSP if it looks like they are already talking to Sony about possible support? Java support is VERY unlikely as well. As it stands, there are only a couple of open implementations of the Java VM, and they are all based on Java SE (the libs are over 15MB, and not great for mobile platforms). Take the difficulty of porting a Java JIT over to the PSP single-handedly, and you have a huge mess of support issues. If Sony can provide a Java ME VM though, then we have another route for homebrew. :)
Also may i add why is a module illegal last time i checked if i had a problem with my Windows i could download the one corrupted DLL on dll-files.com DLL and PRX files are alike they are called Libaries so as i see it the Modules aren't illegal but thats my two cents ;)
dll-files.com is a grey area first off... and secondly, there are quite a few DLL files which are 'redistributable', meaning you are allowed to distribute them to other people. It isn't the file type, it is who owns the copyright on them. Sony doesn't let anyone download just a PRX, do they? Sony doesn't give you access to them except what you can pry from your own PSP, or if you are a paying developer. THAT right there changes the scale of things. I take it you are new enough to not remember how Sony came down on certain PS2 apps (that /WILL/ remain nameless) because they included PS2 .IRX libraries that were Sony's?
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

Krevnik wrote: I hit 1.51 shortly before 1.5 was hacked. My gf got her PSP upgraded by Sony because it was defective on arrival, and she slacked around on the exchange until it was too late. Now, the question I asked myself is: Is it worth it sitting on 1.51 until someone hacks it, or should I upgrade to 2.0, get some of the features I want out of homebrew, and a framework (Web Browser) to add some of the others I want (address book reader)?

Because I cannot contribute anything to the homebrew scene without my employer's permission (gotta love anti-conflict-of-interest agreements), the answer was simple: upgrade. I can do more good for the PSP scene by working on sync utilities for the Mac and utilizing the browser (which isn't directly related to the stuff my employer does, and doesn't connect them to homebrew indirectly), than I can sitting on my butt waiting for something to happen and unable to contribute anything, even when it does.
Maybe it's just the way i think *shrugs* i mean if they made 2 firmware upgrades from version 1.51 then that must mean that there are 2 or more holes in 1.51, but on the other hand i do understand your reasoning.
Good enough reason for ya?
i'm not trying to start a flame thread ^^
Oh and Sony's browser isn't Mozilla, practically everything reports themselves as Mozilla these days (except IE). If a browser reports itself as Mozilla rather than as itself, it avoids getting kicked out by the browser lameness filters IT guys at companies put on their sites.
I did not know that actually that is quite intresting, but still dosen't mean that Sony didn't use Mozilla for there browser ;) and still means we could make a mozilla Web Browser for 1.0/1.5
dll-files.com is a grey area first off... and secondly, there are quite a few DLL files which are 'redistributable', meaning you are allowed to distribute them to other people. It isn't the file type, it is who owns the copyright on them. Sony doesn't let anyone download just a PRX, do they? Sony doesn't give you access to them except what you can pry from your own PSP, or if you are a paying developer. THAT right there changes the scale of things. I take it you are new enough to not remember how Sony came down on certain PS2 apps because they included PS2 .IRX libraries that were Sony's?
now see i didn't know about the PS2 .IRX libraries i don't have a hacked PS2 so i don't know anything about the PS2 Scene. So with that being said i can understand why PRX File is illegal, but what about the ones on the firmware itself they put those up for Download, but have them Encrypted into a nice little Update file. ^^

Editted: OH yea i completely forgot why i came on this Board you have 2.0 correct try and goto "flash0:/vsh/module/dnas_plugin.prx" through your browser see if it well download the files off your flash would thanks ^^
1GB 333 DDR-Ram

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
Krevnik

Post by Krevnik »

EdwardFMA wrote: Maybe it's just the way i think *shrugs* i mean if they made 2 firmware upgrades from version 1.51 then that must mean that there are 2 or more holes in 1.51, but on the other hand i do understand your reasoning.
Yeah, 1.51 will get cracked eventually, but hey... I want to contribute something, and I cannot contribute to this form of homebrew via contractual obligations. So it doesn't really apply in my case.
I did not know that actually that is quite intresting, but still dosen't mean that Sony didn't use Mozilla for there browser ;) and still means we could make a mozilla Web Browser for 1.0/1.5
Mozilla is far too bloated for a 32MB device like the PSP. FireFox was 'weaned down' and is still HUGE. Something based on the Gecko engine might be possible, but they would practically be better off trying to port KHTML than Gecko. (Just look at Nokia using WebCore on their phones)
now see i didn't know about the PS2 .IRX libraries i don't have a hacked PS2 so i don't know anything about the PS2 Scene. So with that being said i can understand why PRX File is illegal, but what about the ones on the firmware itself they put those up for Download, but have them Encrypted into a nice little Update file. ^^
The firmware is encrypted, in DMCA terms that means: hands off, we don't give you the rights to what is inside. Plus, under copyright, you are given VERY basic rights to do with a copy you receive as you wish. Any rights beyond that MUST be given by the copyright owner, or it is assumed that you never given those extra rights. The right to distribute is one of these: Sony can say who can and cannot distribute their binaries, because it is NOT a right you gain by having a copy, hence the term copyright. The owner of the copyright has the right to say who can have copies, and who can make copies. :)
Editted: OH yea i completely forgot why i came on this Board you have 2.0 correct try and goto "flash0:/vsh/module/dnas_plugin.prx" through your browser see if it well download the files off your flash would thanks ^^
I haven't tried it, but my guess is: 0.001% chance of that working. ;)
file:/ goes straight to the MS, and it seems only http: https: and file: are supported.
cooleyandy

Post by cooleyandy »

sigh, every time sony releases a new firmware, more people would migrate to the new one. Feels almost like psp programming would be a dying art. I'm hoping china and their aggressive illegal development would at least come up with a Umd to downgrade the psp, or at least some legitimate company would develop QBasic UMD or something. I'm keeping my 1.5 until they crack 2.0.
pspguy190

Post by pspguy190 »

I guess that there wont be any need for developing a homebrew web browser now.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

There are a number of people not updating you know. those of us who don't, might, need one and besides there will always be drive in the community so long as sony doesn't shut us out totally.

Edit - Sorry MRBrown, didn't mean to contribute to the argument just wanted to get the point across that the above remark was, well, pointless, no offense.
Last edited by Mangus on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Please steer this thread back on-topic.