Fast keyboard method, version 1.1

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

cwbowron

Post by cwbowron »

Shine wrote:This looks worse than the origninal Sony OSK, because you have to hit 11 keystrokes for some keys. What about arranging it in a 3x4 matrix? This would reduce the maximum number of keystrokes from one char to another to 6 at least.
I've thought about that, but I need it to take up as little vertical space as possible, but I may rework it by moving it down a little and adding a second row.

Another problem is I want to have a couple buttons reserved for sepcial actions which limits the number of buttons for keyboard function. (I need a key to toggle back and forth between terminal mode and play mode, and I am making a list of quick strings that you can select from a list so I want a key to display the list)

EDIT: I looked at it, and the worst case scenario as is, is 8 key presses (left/right 6 times, up to shift then the character). The cursor always stays centered and the backdrop with the characters moves left or right with looping, thats probably not detectable fromt the picture.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

You should definitely check out my development here:

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=2913

I'm limiting the number of keys used also. My maximum number of keys that need to be pressed is 3, averaging letter to key ration of 1:2.5.

I've also just put in a dictionary, that improves the ratio of up to 1:1.5. It's also very compact on the screen.
cwbowron

Post by cwbowron »

Arwin wrote: I'm limiting the number of keys used also. My maximum number of keys that need to be pressed is 3, averaging letter to key ration of 1:2.5.
Whats the maximum number of keys that you need with your method if you need to switch back and forth to numbers a lot? It looked like you need to shift twice to get to numbers, then possibly press up to 3 buttons to get the destination number, is that right?

For my purposes I am expecting that numbers will be interspersed with alphabetic characters often. I downloaded the sample, but I am on a laptop without a numeric keypad, so I couldnt test it out very easily. Unfortunately for my application a dictionary wont be much help either because much of what might need to be typed will be usernames and shorthand commands (I could potentially use a specific dictionary for the commands).

You're method does look interesting so I may look into it...
Dev-Express

Character sets with psp ?

Post by Dev-Express »

How to display accents within the code ? I'am trying to use the original PSP functions to find out how to use builtin functions to display messageboxes and use the psp keyboard manager... I can display msgboxes but it cannot display local characters like french accents for example...
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

cwbowron wrote:Whats the maximum number of keys that you need with your method if you need to switch back and forth to numbers a lot? It looked like you need to shift twice to get to numbers, then possibly press up to 3 buttons to get the destination number, is that right?
A very, very late reply (just never saw this, really). But you need only one button combination (hold left, press cross) to switch to the numbers group, and you can use the same combination to switch back. Numbers, like all regular keys, never need more than two button presses. The worst Also the program allows for 3 custom groups in which you could replace for instance capitals bycase scenario still equals the best performance of nearly all OSK's out there.
For my purposes I am expecting that numbers will be interspersed with alphabetic characters often. I downloaded the sample, but I am on a laptop without a numeric keypad, so I couldnt test it out very easily. Unfortunately for my application a dictionary wont be much help either because much of what might need to be typed will be usernames and shorthand commands (I could potentially use a specific dictionary for the commands).
The p-sprint method is fast enough to do away with the dictionary - though it may still help in certain contexts if implemented cleverly.

All p-sprint needs is a snazzier interface (an option to use a menu to select the input group, and some online feedback and/or help would do the trick, and perhaps a combination with an OSK), and a typing tutor to get people started on it more easily. After 30 minutes of practice you can already be more efficient with this than with all the other OSKs, and that is without, in fact, anything on screen, so much better for implementation.
I'll get onto that as soon as my work and private life calms down a little. Per 1 november I'll reduce my working week for my current boss by one day, so I have some more free time to play around with. Looking forward to that. :)

If there is anyone who doubts this method or doesn't understand it, then just give me a shout over pm, and I'll gladly demonstrate before a webcam. :) Maybe I"ll make an instuction video in mp4 :D