File Assistant ++

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

CyberBill

Post by CyberBill »

alex_dsnews wrote:
F9zDark wrote:
alex_dsnews wrote:Great work there 71M, very impressive.

I presume the PBP loading is only for 1.0 machines, though, as I can't get it to work on anything on a 1.5...?

/edit - sorry - /some/ stuff runs.

Cheers,
You still need to use the Kxploit method of ----, ----% folders, running the PBP in the % folder first. The 1.50 PSP cannot run unsigned elfs, like all the other PSP aside from 1.0, you still need the kxploit trick to make them run.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to look stupid - I have tried the usual % etc method, but just couldn't get anything but the NES emulator to run.
I havnt tried using this particular app, but I have built an app to load a file (the .pbp file which is created when you compile something). You shouldnt need to use the swap trick/kxploit.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Arwin wrote:I'm working on documentation: http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/index.htm ... I'm still working on the default keymappings, but most of the more important basic stuff is explained there already - it might help. :)
Update - the source has been greatly improved. If I can, I would like to help out get a basic text editor using the p-sprint methods into this shell, so that you could use it to make notes, edit config files and so on. Let me know if I can do anything to help. (I'll have a look at the source later - just completed a lot of work into the latest version of p-sprint and its documentation)

EDIT: I also did some testing and I really like the File Assistant right now. For renaming, you really need a '.' character in that alphabet. Also, when I try to run .elf files that work in the Launcher, my PSP shuts down. But Eboots seem to run fine, very nice!
71M

Post by 71M »

Arwin wrote:
Arwin wrote:I'm working on documentation: http://www.niwra.nl/psp/p-sprint-c/doc/index.htm ... I'm still working on the default keymappings, but most of the more important basic stuff is explained there already - it might help. :)
Update - the source has been greatly improved. If I can, I would like to help out get a basic text editor using the p-sprint methods into this shell, so that you could use it to make notes, edit config files and so on. Let me know if I can do anything to help. (I'll have a look at the source later - just completed a lot of work into the latest version of p-sprint and its documentation)

EDIT: I also did some testing and I really like the File Assistant right now. For renaming, you really need a '.' character in that alphabet. Also, when I try to run .elf files that work in the Launcher, my PSP shuts down. But Eboots seem to run fine, very nice!
Excellent work Arwin!
I'm just in the process of setting up a source control server which will allow people to make their own additions to the project.

I'll post the server settings etc. once it's setup correctly.

71M
DDRLord

Post by DDRLord »

I've got the new bottom pngs here, so that they won't cut off the text.
Bottom left:
Bottom:
Bottom Right:

Can't wait 'til the next release. :D
71M

Post by 71M »

DDRLord wrote:I've got the new bottom pngs here, so that they won't cut off the text.
Bottom left:
Bottom:
Bottom Right:

Can't wait 'til the next release. :D
Excellent work DDRLord!
Hopefully we'll be releasing a new version at the weekend, fingers crossed!

71M
firetown

Post by firetown »

71m thanks for the explanation about the rename keyboard, and it works great once you know its there.

any chance of gif support with or without animation support.

also any chance or playlist support as thats the main thing that annoyes me about the off pspos
71M

Post by 71M »

firetown wrote:71m thanks for the explanation about the rename keyboard, and it works great once you know its there.

any chance of gif support with or without animation support.

also any chance or playlist support as thats the main thing that annoyes me about the off pspos
Cool :)
Yup, GIF support is definitely on the cards, as are playlists.
I'm in the process of setting up a bug/suggestion database where people can log all their requests (and I can keep track of them all).

Wath this space!

71M
firetown

Post by firetown »

thanks, i think this is the most useful psp run app yet. definately happy i didn't update.

also thank for the heads up about executables might just change my folders back. i don't have any elfs.

i know you intend to use psprint but is there any chance of including a qwerty keyboard like the one in psp reader as i still can't get the hang of psp print

ps: about the text reader i like the black background with the white text.
0x0001

Post by 0x0001 »

would be nice if you could add
T-9 support with p-sprint
just like some cellphones use
T-9 displays commenly used
words as your typing your text
i believe if p-sprint would implement
this feature then text input would
be much more easier
right now i think the idea of
including a qwerty keypad like
that text reader would be excellent for
this file assistant ....seeing as p-sprint
needs a little getting used to
but if T-9 was implemented then
i think text input would be more
simplified......71M great work
this is already replacing my older
versions of file assistant
also i could not find a battery gauge
or menu similiar to these older versions
if you could include this feature would be great
also ftpd NEEDS to be included
this is a must as usb is a pain to
use everytime i would need to make
very simple minor changes or need to
transfer highly used files

keep up the excellent work

bug: when pressing home (exit game
screen is shown like usual but only for
a nanosecond!!) or select
or start the app crashes then returns
to psp menu

just my 2 cents
0x
AXA

Post by AXA »

question regarding this program...
i press the SELECT button and it splash then go back...
whats the select button do...?

is there quickguide for this application...?
will you include a guide on the next rls cuz im confuse what button i should press... when doing executing something on the program...

keep up the good work, its the best filemanager so far- BEST...
71M

Post by 71M »

AXA wrote:question regarding this program...
i press the SELECT button and it splash then go back...
whats the select button do...?

is there quickguide for this application...?
will you include a guide on the next rls cuz im confuse what button i should press... when doing executing something on the program...

keep up the good work, its the best filemanager so far- BEST...
Oh yeah, sorry, that is a debug button that I left in!
Useful for reloading a newly compiled PBP :)

Hopefully with the next release I'll have had time to write up a proper user guide. Sorry for any confusion.

71M
Omega

Post by Omega »

Killer App!

However, one small bug i noticed. Moving or Copying large files crashes my machine.

Within CFileSystem.cpp, in CFileSystem::CopyFile
u8 * p_buffer( new u8[ src_length ] );
Attempts to create a p_buffer as large as the source file.
Could this be the reason it crashes when I try to copy/move large files?
It has been a while since I did any programming.

Thank you for your excelent contribution to PSP homebrew.
71M

Post by 71M »

Omega wrote:Killer App!

However, one small bug i noticed. Moving or Copying large files crashes my machine.

Within CFileSystem.cpp, in CFileSystem::CopyFile
u8 * p_buffer( new u8[ src_length ] );
Attempts to create a p_buffer as large as the source file.
Could this be the reason it crashes when I try to copy/move large files?
It has been a while since I did any programming.

Thank you for your excelent contribution to PSP homebrew.
No, thank you for finding bugs for me :)
I'll take a look at that when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
71M
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

0x0001 wrote:seeing as p-sprint
needs a little getting used to
but if T-9 was implemented then
i think text input would be more
simplified.
I agree it takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm starting to actually become faster than I was with automatic word lookup functions before! The keys aren't very hard to memorise, as there is a certain logic to how they have been mapped. I will have to finetune a few of the keys ( the normal brackets '(' and ')' and the ! and ? keys need to be accessible easier, they will probably come where '[' and ']' are used).

I'll do my best to make some software and perhaps graphics to help people get used to this system quicker though.
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> Finally somebody releases code on how to enable USB!!!
As mentioned, this is not new. See the SDK sample "usb/storage"

NOTE: this is not general USB support. This is only USB Storage mode, like running "Drive Mode" in the background.
Very easy to add to your own programs to reduce the stick swapping needed.
uniquexxme

Post by uniquexxme »

can anyone kind enough to tell me how to install this file assistant? coz the download didn't include a readme file. thank you very much
71M

Post by 71M »

If you have a v1.5 PSP then extract the 1.5 rar file into your PSP/GAME folder. Or if you have a v1.0, extract the 1.0 rar file into PSP/GAME/FileAssistant.

That should install it.

Cheers,
71M
hexperience

Post by hexperience »

Downloaded the rar, extracted it and copied the 1.5 files to the psp, but I get the "Game cannot be played" error.

Do you have to add irx files or something?

-edit-
hmm. Turns out it didn't like the way the folders were named for the hide of the corrupted data. I removed the ___1 etc. and it starts up.

Very very cool app.
firetown

executables?

Post by firetown »

has anyone got this to run executables (pbp or elf) on a 1.5, or is that function only for 1.0 users
baggers

Post by baggers »

Don't know, couldn't get anything to run on my 1.0 doesn't matter what I tried to run, PBP or ELF, always ended up black screen, then shuts down :(
71M

Post by 71M »

When you press SELECT, does the screen go black and the app restart?
If so, then yes, it is running a PBP, itself! :)

I'm sorry if you're having problems running executables on a v1.0, I only have access to a v1.5 PSP so I can't test that functionality.

The next release should hopefully have these problems solved, just need to be a little bit patient :)

Cheers,
71M
baggers

Post by baggers »

The screen just goes black, for about 4-6 seconds then machine turns off.
And it's not my app, cos it works outside your file assistant, and if i try to run the file assistant from inside itself it does exactly the same :(
PS, I'm not dissin ya, or anything, just trying to help by feeding you with problems i'm having with it, and yes, i'm gonna be patient and wait for another update, as I think this is gonna be a great app :) continue the good work.
71M

Post by 71M »

No worries Bagger :)

I'll do my best to try and fix this feature as it'll probably be the most useful part of the application.

Can anymore crashs, bugs or suggestions be posted in the new thread that I created, thanks.

Cheers,
71M
Arwin

Re: executables?

Post by Arwin »

firetown wrote:has anyone got this to run executables (pbp or elf) on a 1.5, or is that function only for 1.0 users
I have PBPs running, but not my elfs (which I can however run with the PSPDEV Launcher)
71M

Post by 71M »

BAH! Just had the other thread locked down :(
Ok, can you post your suggestions and bugs on this site please http://tmpstore.free.fr/FileAssistant/

Sorry for the thread confusion...

Thanks,
71M
firetown

Post by firetown »

thanks arwin i'll give it another try, btw how are you folders set.
i.e folder names.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

firetown wrote:thanks arwin i'll give it another try, btw how are you folders set.
i.e folder names.
Can't remember if I changed anything from the default package actually. Wasn't it already pre-sei'd?
firetown

Post by firetown »

i mean about the folders containing the executables, are there any nameing requirements to get them to run.

ps: arwin about the demo to teach people how to use psprint i think its a great idea
gandalf the grey

Post by gandalf the grey »

This is great, but do you think you can add a picture slideshow option, that plays of all images in a specific folder, and maybe add video playback? That would really make this app complete :)
Fly you fools...
71M

Post by 71M »

Hopefully I'll be releasing a new version byt the end of this weekend, and a slideshow option will be in.
I did experiment with video playback earlier on in the week, but I'd need to do a lot of work to get it properly integrated with FA.

Thanks for your support,
71M