quiting 2.0 homebrew?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

p3p

quiting 2.0 homebrew?

Post by p3p »

how would you quit from a 2.0 tif hack homebrew aplication, and have the psp os still work? is that posible yet,
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Downgrade to 1.5, using the new fancy downgrader that actully works, unlike the nonsense from wab. www.psp-spot.com have it.
p3p

Post by p3p »

I would, but im actualy coding for 2.0, just cant figure out how to get the app to close back to the os and still work, and as none of the other 2.0 apps do, i asume its not easy, ..

ive already downgraded and upgraded again btw, not realy interesting in emulators and as pvnc, the only app that id have a use for doesnt work proply after scrolling around a bit, i just upgraded again, maby wen VLC is ported il downgrade again :p

p3p
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Closing cleanly will be difficult, because the exploit works by corrupting the stack of one of the VSH threads. To exit cleanly, you'd need to somehow restore that stack to a proper state.

I guess it's possible, if you can guess/work out what the contents of the stack are before the buffer gets overflowed - but I'm not sure how that could be done.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

make a memory dump, work out the handle of the vsh picture viewer thread (the one that is "hijacked" by the exploit), kill that thread. that might work :)
Warren

Post by Warren »

You could also probably just restart the VSH by executing it since that should also restart the PSP. I remember someone here figured out how to load it.
medafor

Post by medafor »

screw 2.0 homebrew, it would be better just make an update/eboot for 1.5 that implements the web browser, wallpaper, and avc support. that way all the current homebrew will stay as is. there a post of someone trying to do that now.
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Do you understand how much effort is involved, just to re-implement the web browser?

Far better to get homebrew working on 2.0, if possible. It's unlikely that any of the 1.5 homebrew would need to change, if a decent loader can be produced. Thanks to the NIDs scheme, most system entry points are platform independent - the lack of NIDs is one of the major issues right now on 2.0, but it can be overcome.