Is there any working PSP Emulator?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Brunni

Is there any working PSP Emulator?

Post by Brunni »

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a working PSP emulator around. It's really long to flash the files everytime on the PSP and start the program just to test an animation... I have a quite recent version of PSPSDK, and PSPE doesn't work anymore.

Sorry for asking this question, but I've searched on the Internet, and the only thing I found is that PSPE is no more compatible since a pretty old version of PSPSDK, which uses some instructions that makes PSPE crash. But I didn't found a working emulator instead (some projects were opened, but nothing now).

Thanks in advance for your help ^^
Sorry for my bad english
Image Oldschool library for PSP - PC version released
seventoes

Post by seventoes »

Yeah... I wish...
But i guess the psp hasnt been explored enough to make a good emulator yet.
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

Until we have a good PSP emulator the best way imo is to use Fileassistant++ to launch your app. It starts USB direcly on start and apps can go back to Fileassistant++ after you quit. Then make a .bat file or something to compile your code and copy it to the PSP.
seventoes

Post by seventoes »

Yeah file assistant is a good way to do it, but someone needs to make a native PSP compiler, that would be great. It could use p-sprint as the input method, i like p-sprint.
InflamedSpirit

Post by InflamedSpirit »

Someone was working on a psp emulator a while ago (july) and it could actually run some games (puzzle bobble completely and the beginning of mercury). I assume it would be able to run some simple homebrew games but it wasn't released.

Heres the thread:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... or+mercury

Anyone know of any updates to this project?
Brunni

Post by Brunni »

Thanks. Is there still no working emulator now?
I lose LOTS of time always sending the program to the PSP (even with FileAssistant), especially when it crashes (holding 10 seconds power button then power-on...). I've searched, it seems to be a lot of projects, but all are fakes/dead... (or I missed one?)
I really need a way to test my programs on PC, else it won't be possible to continue (not even possible to debug anything...), and I can't port my PSP library on PC because I lack of OpenGL knowledge and motivation - it's too big now (and it would be too long to maintain both) :(
Has anyone an emulator I could at least try? Or a dead project from which the source could be released?
Thank you in advance
Sorry for my bad english
Image Oldschool library for PSP - PC version released
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

Sadly, the only PSP emulator there is is the old PSPE, which like you said is outdated.

I believe that PSPX thing was fake, InflamedSpirit. I saw it once on PSPU, and never heard of it again.

imo, it shouldn't be too hard to take a PS2 emulator, and edit it enough to run PSP homebrew, should it?
nullp01nter

Post by nullp01nter »

I lose LOTS of time always sending the program to the PSP (even with FileAssistant), especially when it crashes (holding 10 seconds power button then power-on...).
In this case it would help if you use PSPLINK. You need a working wifi connection (or build a SIO cable), and then you can run your software through a shell. If your app locks up, you just type "reset" into your console and PSPLINK restarts. This takes some seconds, but is a lot faster than shutting off the PSP and restarting FileAssistant manually.

Additionally you can output really helpful printf() to the console. This is great for debugging.

Thoralt