difference between retail elf and PSPSDK

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

turkeyman

difference between retail elf and PSPSDK

Post by turkeyman »

Hi people, i'm just wondering what differences, if any, there are between the elf found in a retail game, and the ones that the pspsdk generates?
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

retail are signed by sony
appossed to pspsdk eboots
that are not signed
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010
ector

Post by ector »

Another difference is that retail games etc are not prerelocated, while PSPSDK generates elfs that are prerelocated to 0x08900000.
Last edited by ector on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tronic/PSPTexTool.zip Free texture converter for PSP with source. More to come.
Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky »

Just out of interest, why are the pspsdk elf's not relocatable?
turkeyman

Post by turkeyman »

ector: ah thanks, thats what i was interested in..

why are pspsdk elfs not relocatable? and out of curiosity, how would i make a common GCC compiler generate a fixed address elf given that specific address?
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

PSPSDK has support for building PRXs, which are relocatable, which are equivalent to the PRXs that retail games use (including the game itself).

As for your second question, usually you pass something like "-Ttext <address in hex>" to the linker.
rmedtx

Post by rmedtx »

If a game is developed using PSPSDK and let's say I buy the official dev kit. Can my game be converted (I don't know if this is the right word) to the official dev kit? What I mean is this. If I develop a game using PSPSDSK and I want to publish it commercially... Can I do it? (Getting Sony's License)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

rmedtx wrote:If a game is developed using PSPSDK and let's say I buy the official dev kit. Can my game be converted (I don't know if this is the right word) to the official dev kit? What I mean is this. If I develop a game using PSPSDSK and I want to publish it commercially... Can I do it? (Getting Sony's License)
That's something that you need to discuss with Sony. As far as compatibility goes, there is no way to be 100% compatible with Sony's dev kit without having access to it, but all of the kernel libraries are mostly the same.
rmedtx

Post by rmedtx »

mrbrown wrote:
rmedtx wrote:If a game is developed using PSPSDK and let's say I buy the official dev kit. Can my game be converted (I don't know if this is the right word) to the official dev kit? What I mean is this. If I develop a game using PSPSDSK and I want to publish it commercially... Can I do it? (Getting Sony's License)
That's something that you need to discuss with Sony. As far as compatibility goes, there is no way to be 100% compatible with Sony's dev kit without having access to it, but all of the kernel libraries are mostly the same.
mrbown,
Sorry for the confusion I was talking about compatibility.
Thanks for answering my question.