PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

fAi_

Post by fAi_ »

Itaintrite wrote:Can somebody upload malloc's updated mod to a different host please? I've exceeded rapidshare's limit for today (a measly 35mb) and I can't dl for another day. I'll even host the file on my webhost if somebody sends it to me. THanks.
here you go.
mirror link: http://www11.rapidupload.com/d.php?file ... epath=1452
ReX

Post by ReX »

Hi to all :-).

I've just made a simple PMP video from an high definition divx. I resized it with VirtualDub/Resize/Lanczos3 and compress with standard settings of xvid codec (quantizer=3).

I found that if you have high quality videos the best resizing method for psp screen is Lanczos, but if you have low/medium quality divxs you can get qaulity videos using PreciseBicubic(A=-1.0) beacuse the images are sharper.

This video (Magascar Trailer) shows that the PMP Mod player can plays videos at the same quality of UMDs:

http://rapidshare.de/files/10646461/Mad ... r.pmp.html

Thanks jonny ;-)
ReX
NyNex

Post by NyNex »

@jonny:

Thank you for response. The hdd has a sloooower reading rate. I have been developing video apps last year, and maybe a larger buffer size could solve the issue. But is not a priority for me (and not for you).

You could try async read or buffer optimization using first 5 minutes of Matrix, which produce audio jumping even on memory stick duo (sony original). This issue is not related with high bitrate, i think it is a buffer size problem.

I will give you a hand if you want. I can serve you some short videos too.
jonny

Post by jonny »

on mem stick i would really exclude read bottlenecks (i think things can't be more optimized than this, apart from async it of course)
read routines push around 1700~2000 fps (sometimes even around 3000 fps)

EDIT:
@ReX: this is probably the best trailer i've seen, where do you get such a clean source?
i like also the serenity one, going to add this 2 on the first page 8)
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

Hey Jonny, for some movies I keep getting "first frame is not a keyframe error" when using mencoder. They convert fine when using VirtualDub though. I could always use VirtualDub but Mencoder is better for batch conversions. Is there any way to force the first frame to be a keyframe? Or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks for this fine app anyway!
ReX

Post by ReX »

Jonny, I use this video to test my new top level lcd (Samsung 970P). You can find the original trailer on www.divx.com, the quality is BETTER than any DVD I've ever seen.
ReX
fAi_

Post by fAi_ »

jonny

Post by jonny »

@Mr.Modem:

if you can provide me a legal sample that show this, i'll be happy to check what exactly happen and shot a workaround (i need a sample to verify some stuffs before relaxing this check).
just a quick info, is the source starting with black frames?

@ReX & fAi: thanks for the info
malloc

Post by malloc »

Here is the last mini mod for the week ;)

Zoom / Aspect ratio handling with the SELECT button (using the GU to stretch the video with bilinear).

there's 4 cycling modes :
- original size
- zoom to fit the width of the video (cropping the top & bottom if necessary)
usefull to zoom 4/3 video (losing the top and the bottom)
- zoom to fit the height of the video (cropping the left & right if necessary)
usefull to zoom 4/3 video (adding black bars left/right)
- zoom to full screen (doesn't preserve aspect ratio)

app:
http://rapidshare.de/files/10653994/pmpmod.zip.html

src:
http://rapidshare.de/files/10654029/pmpmod_src.zip.html

ps : I saw that 3GP 4/3 profile pads the left and right with black, you don't need them anymore with this new feature :)
imutau

Post by imutau »

malloc wrote:Here is the last mini mod for the week ;)

Zoom / Aspect ratio handling with the SELECT button (using the GU to stretch the video with bilinear).

- original size

app:

src:

ps : I saw that 3GP 4/3 profile pads the left and right with black, you don't need them anymore with this new feature :)
Awesome work will test it out.

My only complaint? Having to update my PSP every day (j/k lol!) Keep up the great work!

Oh has anyone got the WinEnc 5.X Beta yet? If not try it it works pretty good. If you need the app look at the last post on this page fAi_ has a link to D/L it.
Last edited by imutau on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

I've encoded this 'Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children' sample video. It gave me an amazing near UMD like quality on my PSP. So I really wanted to show it to you guys. There is so much going on in the scene, explosions, rapid movements etc. Yet the resulting picture gave zero artifacts!! And oh, the subtitles are so sharp. A good example of how fansubbing community can utilize PMP MOD v1.00. Notice how the subtitles look so clean and easily readable.

Final Fantasy Advent Children Sample (10mb)
http://rapidshare.de/files/10659799/FF7AC.zip.html
Phuncz

Re: PMP Simple Converter 0.01 for memcoder

Post by Phuncz »

miemt11 wrote:PMP Simple Converter 0.01 for memcoder
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system couldn't locate the given file
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at PMP_Simple.Form1.EncodePMPbutton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
PMP Simple
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/MEncoder/PMP%20Simple.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
It gave me this error when it tried to mux the files I think. pmp_muxer.exe is located in the same dir as PMP Simple though.

[edit]
Muxed it manually and it played without a problem ! Sweeettttt !! It really is a fast encoder. Is it using Bicubic ? Is it also possible to have an option to enable Lanczos ?
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

jonny wrote:@Mr.Modem:

if you can provide me a legal sample that show this, i'll be happy to check what exactly happen and shot a workaround (i need a sample to verify some stuffs before relaxing this check).
just a quick info, is the source starting with black frames?

@ReX & fAi: thanks for the info
I'm sorry, but I don't think I can provide a legal sample. The movie starts with black frames though. I've heard that other people are having the same problem. Maybe they can provide you with a sample. I hope it will be fixed some day but don't focus on this problem. You've already done so much and I imagine you're having a quite hard time answering all the questions. Keep up the good work Jonny!

@malloc: Awesome work!
therock003

Post by therock003 »

yoshaw wrote:I've encoded this 'Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children' sample video. It gave me an amazing near UMD like quality on my PSP. So I really wanted to show it to you guys. There is so much going on in the scene, explosions, rapid movements etc. Yet the resulting picture gave zero artifacts!! And oh, the subtitles are so sharp. A good example of how fansubbing community can utilize PMP MOD v1.00. Notice how the subtitles look so clean and easily readable.

Final Fantasy Advent Children Sample (10mb)
http://rapidshare.de/files/10659799/FF7AC.zip.html
The quality is amazing indeed,what settings did you use,and how did you put the subtitles?
therock003

Re: Muxer update

Post by therock003 »

BlackPaladin wrote:I kept running into the same errors in my video all the time and was getting tired of uploading the whole thing to the PSP only to find it wouldn't play. I've built a version of the pmp_muxer.pm which will catch many of the errors detected in the player on the PSP. That way you find out before you copy the file over (I'm on USB 1.1....). Particularly I kept running into "first frame is not a keyframe". This version will also catch sizing problems, etc. Most of the things looked for in the player. No audio checking right now.

http://www.matthias.org/pspdev/pmp/pmp_muxer.pm

I am using the perl script directly. I don't know what jonny did to build the perl script into an .exe file (and I don't have a Windows box) so if you want to use this, run the perl script directly. Or maybe jonny wants to make an .exe from it.
How do you run a perl script?
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

I always got problem downloading file from rapidshare.de

Can someone up to www.yousendit.com or http://www.megaupload.com/

Thank

malloc wrote:Here is the last mini mod for the week ;)

- original size

app:

src:

pspvideo9

Post by pspvideo9 »

Jonny, we'd like to thank you for all of your hard work. Your PMP Mod software is an amazing piece of work and a great achivement.

To help people in the conversion department, we've released the Videora PMP Converter. This program is just like PSP Video 9, it is a freeware FFmpeg GUI, but it is tailored to create PMP files using the pmp_muxer program.

You can download it off our front page:
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/PMP/

We've also setup a forum for the Converter and PMP in general:
http://www.pspvideo9.com/forums/index.php?c=9
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

yeah rapidshare gives me major probs too, if you need space to upload, just PM me and ill sort it :)
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Maloc i have a couple suggestions for improvement of our new favourite homebrew!

First of,ditch the .pos from appearing on the file selection,it's kind of annoying.

And secondly my idea for improvement is this:
When you exit the playback of a file,the information of the location is stored on the pos as you have programmed.So i say by highlighting the file and pressing "x" it reads the informtion from pos and starts from the defined position,but by highlighting and selecting it with triangle or circle (they're both available on the main menu),the file starts from the beginning...

So what do you,and the other users think of that?

And of course,thanx for constanly improving the programm.

And all the other guys that make guis for conversion.and of course jonny for creating pmp mod on the first place!
BlackPaladin

Re: Muxer update

Post by BlackPaladin »

therock003 wrote:
BlackPaladin wrote:I kept running into the same errors in my video all the time and was getting tired of uploading the whole thing to the PSP only to find it wouldn't play. I've built a version of the pmp_muxer.pm which will catch many of the errors detected in the player on the PSP. That way you find out before you copy the file over (I'm on USB 1.1....). Particularly I kept running into "first frame is not a keyframe". This version will also catch sizing problems, etc. Most of the things looked for in the player. No audio checking right now.

http://www.matthias.org/pspdev/pmp/pmp_muxer.pm

I am using the perl script directly. I don't know what jonny did to build the perl script into an .exe file (and I don't have a Windows box) so if you want to use this, run the perl script directly. Or maybe jonny wants to make an .exe from it.
How do you run a perl script?
Probably the easiest way on Windows is to either install Cygwin http://www.cygwin.com/

Or Maybe even easier is to install ActivePerl from ActiveState:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/?mp=1

Go get the source from Jonny's page and replace his PM with the one I posted. Then run pmp_muxer_tk.pl from ActivePerl.

Good luck!
Unix Junkie
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Another great release from malloc. Cheers.

Btw, too many converters out. Can anybody do some research and see which one will yield the best result? :P
Shapyi

Post by Shapyi »

@jonny, the player itself its amazing. I've been playing around with it, a lot better quality than the firmware player. Great work. At first I was turned off by the whole PMP format (prefer avi as a container), but its worth it for that quality.

@malloc, thanks for the mods. Especially the brightness control for the player, it really helps my PSP with has annoying ghosting in videos. I hope jonny includes your code or this feature in the next release because it makes watching dark videos a lot more enjoyable on PSP.

Thanks for the great work.
Ninja

Eboot icon and background

Post by Ninja »

My own version of PMP icon and background...feel free to use it to customize your PMP eboot file.. and, a million thanks to jonny for an awesome application.. :)

You can download it here: PMP Mod Eboot Package
Matrixdub

Post by Matrixdub »

jonny wrote:@NyNex:

probably the hd have a slower reading rate, causing serious bottleneck.
async read could solve this, but require big changes in the actual code (+ i can't check if it really works)
maybe changing the size of the reading buffer could help, when i have time i could send you a benchmark app, in order to check optimal parameters
I have access to the 4GB HDD too so I could help with this.
mraeburn

Post by mraeburn »

Hi all,

Amazing program. A couple of problems though; with Jonny's first release I encoded my first item a 25 min TV show using 3gp converter, which I playerd through and it crashed (freezing the PSP) after about 15 minutes. I encoded the same programme and played it through all the way and it worked fine. I then encoded a 90 minute film and it played through all the way without a problem (655mb).

I then upgraded to malloc's third version of the programme including save point and luninosity. Today on the train in to work I watched another movie that I had encoded (and my wife watched a further movie on her PSP which I encoded for her). Both our PSP's seemed to crash every 10 minutes or so (both mnovies were around the 900mb mark). We'd have to restart the PSP's fast forward to the point and then it would play okay. Note both the movies that we watched are not the one that played through ok on the first release.

Not sure if this is a problem with mallocs adjustments, Jonny's orginal program or the 3gp (all in one as posted in this forum) converter process. Anyone else experienced this? Or anyone actually watched an entire movie through yet?

Thanks for your help.
Wil

Post by Wil »

Awsome program. One complaint: Why make the Start button restart the video? I keep hitting it thinking "Pause" only then to go "CRAP! Now I have to fast-forward 40 minutes of video!".

Perhaps better key assignments (or CUSTOM key assignments) could be setup? Otherwise, GREAT!!

EDIT: Yes, I know the START button thing was a mod my malloc, however his mods are great. Might be a good idea for either version (or if they are to be combined.)
Wil
miemt11

Re: PMP Simple Converter 0.01 for memcoder

Post by miemt11 »

Phuncz wrote:
miemt11 wrote:PMP Simple Converter 0.01 for memcoder
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system couldn't locate the given file
at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
at PMP_Simple.Form1.EncodePMPbutton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
PMP Simple
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/MEncoder/PMP%20Simple.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
It gave me this error when it tried to mux the files I think. pmp_muxer.exe is located in the same dir as PMP Simple though.

[edit]
Muxed it manually and it played without a problem ! Sweeettttt !! It really is a fast encoder. Is it using Bicubic ? Is it also possible to have an option to enable Lanczos ?

Thank for the feedback, I will look into it.
jonny

Post by jonny »

@mraeburn:

in case of crash, i need to know if the crash happen randomly or always at the same point of the movie.
in both cases a sample or the exact istructions to reproduce for sure the crash are necessary.
also try to see if the same behavior happen with both my version and malloc's one (you can connect the power supply and run movies on night :).
if you are used to watch many movies, you could also try to change encoding method for a bit (to see if we can reduce the problem to only some particular encoders)
great and detailed feedback is required to see what happen exactly in this cases

@to everyone dedicated in the encoding side:
keep up the nice works!!!

@Ninja:
thanks!
csuper

After some research...

Post by csuper »

Ok let's get started... :

I used different profiles of encoding, to hopefully find some GOOD profiles... But you know WHAT ?
It seems that the HANG problem is associated only to complex scene and high video bitrate...

I use (GUI/MENCODER - DIVX 2 Pass) :
On some Anime of mine with the following profile :
GITS - 2nd season : 2pass 400 Kbits OK (but with higher bitrates it hangs on some parts...)
But for a Bleach episode : 2 pass (600 then 800) : run smoothly.

On some TV SAT Rip : 400/450 Kbits is OK but higher It hangs...
SGA episode - 400/600 is ok.

csuper.

So good profiles for your episodes are hard to find but when it works for one episode of a series, it seems to work quite ok with the following episodes of the series... :)
Last edited by csuper on Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fAi_

Post by fAi_ »

WinMenc 0.5x beta with pmp_muxer
http://z12.zupload.com/file.php?filepath=1758

enjoy :)