WLAN local loopback

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dbeyer3069

WLAN local loopback

Post by dbeyer3069 »

Has anyone tried (with or without luck) to get WLAN to work in a "local loopback" type mode whereas you can transmit on one channel (say 1) and receive on another (say 11). This would be helpful in cases where you have only one PSP available and want to test some of the different routines in an app. This has been done for a long time with serial ports.

Any thoughts on if this would work with WIFI in ADHOC or infrastructure mode?

I've seen some develop an app that works as a server so I would suspect it might work.. but want more expert feedback.

Thanks,

David Beyer
dbeyer3069

thoughts?

Post by dbeyer3069 »

Nobody has any thoughts on this? Someone else mentioned that there may be a way to make two PSPS work in intrastructure mode by work like ADHOC.

David Beyer
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> you can transmit on one channel (say 1) and receive on another (say 11).
Not at the same time. When you enable the WiFi it needs a specific configuration, which will be a single SSID and will eventually resolve to a single WiFi radio channel.

You can switch configurations, but it is not a fast process (ie. you can't do realtime loopback - but you can listen on one SSID, when it gets something interesting you can turn it off and go to another SSID to transmit).

Two PSPs (perhaps wired together with the serial port) could actively monitor two different radio channels.
dbeyer3069

Post by dbeyer3069 »

PspPet wrote:> you can transmit on one channel (say 1) and receive on another (say 11).
Not at the same time. When you enable the WiFi it needs a specific configuration, which will be a single SSID and will eventually resolve to a single WiFi radio channel.

You can switch configurations, but it is not a fast process (ie. you can't do realtime loopback - but you can listen on one SSID, when it gets something interesting you can turn it off and go to another SSID to transmit).

Two PSPs (perhaps wired together with the serial port) could actively monitor two different radio channels.
Would switching back and forth keep the socket connection open? or would it close in the process, forcing you to establish a new socket? This would defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

David Beyer
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

what is it that you are trying to do? If you are writing a client/server type app, why not have your psp act as the client and server, until you have 2 to test with? I did this with my client/server app with no problem.

liquid8d
dbeyer3069

Post by dbeyer3069 »

liquid8d wrote:what is it that you are trying to do? If you are writing a client/server type app, why not have your psp act as the client and server, until you have 2 to test with? I did this with my client/server app with no problem.

liquid8d
That's my idea. It would be client and server...and I guess someone else answered that I would just need 2 different configurations... one hitting channel 1 and the other 11 (or 6). Is this what you did?

David Beyer
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

no, just having 2 sockets open, one listening, then create another to connect to the psps ip on that listening port. Maybe I am misunderstanding what it is that you wanna do.

If you are just trying to have an app that can send/recv between another psp, this will work fine... just like connecting to localhost.

liquid8d
dbeyer3069

Post by dbeyer3069 »

liquid8d wrote:no, just having 2 sockets open, one listening, then create another to connect to the psps ip on that listening port. Maybe I am misunderstanding what it is that you wanna do.

If you are just trying to have an app that can send/recv between another psp, this will work fine... just like connecting to localhost.

liquid8d
My idea is to emulate 2 PSPS communicating with one another (in infrastructure mode) by opening 2 sockets: one for each of the "simulated" psps (one would be in listen mode and the other transmit). In practice, they are both the same PSP application. I originally thought each would have to be on a different channel (1,6 or 11). I did a google of this and didn't see anything right off.

Not sure if I'm making much more sense. I know what I want to do in theory... just haven't tried it yet. Sounds like it's possible.

David Beyer
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

> My idea is to emulate 2 PSPS communicating with one another (in infrastructure mode) by opening 2 sockets: ... I originally thought each would have to be on a different channel
(ok the 2 channel thing is a red herring)

You want them on the same channel, and the same WiFi network (same SSID / same access point). Channels are used to separate different communication networks (ie. one channel can handle many WiFi devices, and each WiFi device can handle many sockets at the same time - but only on the one WiFi network)

If you want to create a bridge between two access points (say with one on channel 1 and the other on channel 6) you could do it with two PSPs, but there are other cheaper solutions.
dbeyer3069

Post by dbeyer3069 »

PspPet wrote:> My idea is to emulate 2 PSPS communicating with one another (in infrastructure mode) by opening 2 sockets: ... I originally thought each would have to be on a different channel
(ok the 2 channel thing is a red herring)

You want them on the same channel, and the same WiFi network (same SSID / same access point). Channels are used to separate different communication networks (ie. one channel can handle many WiFi devices, and each WiFi device can handle many sockets at the same time - but only on the one WiFi network)

If you want to create a bridge between two access points (say with one on channel 1 and the other on channel 6) you could do it with two PSPs, but there are other cheaper solutions.
That makes more sense. I haven't looked at all the technical specs of the wifi yet beyond initial testing with a single socket going out into the internet.

David Beyer