PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jonny

Post by jonny »

@happycoding:
I am looking forward to Jonny's next version which may be H.264 compatible. The key is H.264 MIPS assembler optimization?
the ME can give up to a 2x speed
asm and vfpu can help too
(i'd say making the various psp components working in parallel as much as possible is the key)

atm, it's better to optimize mpeg4 asp (i must get maximum speed here, before jumping to h264)

@hyedipin:
Hi jonny,
Thanks, I know, even from your first post I can tell this has been an issue. Can't we get some support from mencoder people, as to exactly what kind of VOB we need to feed it? Maybe I (we) am doing seomthing wrong while ripping the vob?

Or is there a way to force mencoder to apply something to the first frame? Other solution is to fix pmp muxer and pmp mod to ignore this, if possible at all. Thanks again.
maybe i wasn't clear, anyway the problem is gone with v1.01

EDIT:
-vf harddup is also no more needed
jonny

Post by jonny »

Ok bad news for me... like Malloc's versions and now this 1.01 version, I got more stutering on my low speed 2 GB SONY MS with them than the v1.00 version on a same video (768 kbps/128Kbps <- converted by 3 GP)
there could be small speed differences every time i change something in the code.
i think this happen because even little changes modify some data/code alignement
there is no way to control this, the effect is somewhat random (i'd say between -1fps and +1fps)
more optimizations will make this not noticeable
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

This might just get people to dump xvid encodes when you play this!!!!!

Blade Trinity trailer encoded as follows:

Player: Malloc's M4 PMP MOD

encoder: Mencoder using Winmenc GUI

Codec: Divx 5.21 PRO

Settings:Very high quality for divx checkbox ticked : 2 Pass ticked : Turbo ticked

Video Bitrate: 2000kbs - (equates to 2009kbs on average encode)

Audio Bitrate: 128kbs cbr

Hmmmm........I cant quite believe i've just dumped Xvid!!!!!

This encode produces NO audio/frame issues at all - It looks like all my problems (and a few others) were with the CPU hungry Xvid codec!

It seems Divx 2pass can almost reach 4000kbs without audio issues (using vdub) but I think 2000kbs 2pass will do just nicely for a UMD equivalent.

Feedback please on this file if you could folks.

Dowload trailer:33.51mb
http://download.filefront.com/4652003;1 ... fcd266f720

All the best

J.
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote: This encode produces NO audio/frame issues at all - It looks like all my problems (and a few others) were with the CPU hungry Xvid codec!
From my findings, I completely agree. I've done 1500kpbs or quant-3 encodes in divx and libavc with no audio issues whatsoever. xvid encodes of the same source at far lower bitrates playback with audio stuttering.
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

hyedipin wrote:miemt11,

here is the full VOB, i decided not to splice it up so that you can work on exactly what I worked on.

Harry Potter Original VOB (Decrypted via SmartRipper)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7UD5IQH9
Thank, I tested that
PMP Simple Converter 0.08 Package Lite edition
http://dl.qj.net/PMP-Simple-Converter-0 ... 8/catid/30
PMP Simple Converter 0.07 Package Lite edition
http://www8.rapidupload.com/d.php?file= ... path=16370
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

To hyedipin:

I was able to encode your small vob, using the default setting.
playback correct on my PSP

BTW, I now using the PMP MOD 1.01 and PMP_muxer 1.01
tallx

Post by tallx »

jonny wrote:PMP Mod v1.01 & PMP Muxer v1.01

- All the problems in the "Common problems" section are corrected
- Muxer: improved avi parser (more compatibility and support up to 4GB avis)
- Muxer: improved mp3 parser (more compatibility, wild search for mp3 frames)
- Muxer: a log file is written at the end (GUI programmers can use the last line of this log for error checking)
- Muxer: the tk version should run on linux with no modifications now (please someone should confirm this)

It's mainly a bugfix release.
Now, if no major issues will be found, i'll go on with wild optimizations of the player core.

malloc will keep his version in sync with my releases
(everything will probably converge to a single version in the future)
Thank jonny! Great work!
but I cant download form you site.
can you upload at rapidshare, thanks!
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

jonny wrote:

@hyedipin:
Hi jonny,

Other solution is to fix pmp muxer and pmp mod to ignore this, if possible at all.
maybe i wasn't clear, anyway the problem is gone with v1.01

EDIT:
-vf harddup is also no more needed
Thank you so much, finally no more keyframe nightmare.. After encoding the same file which was giving me keyframe problems, and using it on 1.01 mod+muxer pair *see below, the video played back perfectly.
The menu item/logo also looks great!
Thank You.
=======
miemt11 wrote:To hyedipin:

I was able to encode your small vob, using the default setting.
playback correct on my PSP

BTW, I now using the PMP MOD 1.01 and PMP_muxer 1.01
So was I, my problem was; me forgetting to put new 1.01 mod on PSP but use 1.01 muxer on PC! :) but now updated both and it works great

*PS: I also used Jan 22 version of mencoder!

Next step is to work out a way to crop evenly using you PMP Simple Converter. I was able to crop almost evenly and perfectly using vdub, but I want to experiment cropping on your simple coverter which encoded my HP Trailer VOB in a flash speed.

Thank You.
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33359#33359
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote: encoder: Mencoder using Winmenc GUI
Settings:Very high quality for divx checkbox ticked : 2 Pass ticked : Turbo ticked
This encode produces NO audio/frame issues at all - It looks like all my problems (and a few others) were with the CPU hungry Xvid codec!

It seems Divx 2pass can almost reach 4000kbs without audio issues (using vdub) but I think 2000kbs 2pass will do just nicely for a UMD equivalent.

J.
Yes, it definetaly looks great, while I understand you were testing for A/V and studdering issues, the ouput file seems pretty large.

Check my HP.DIVX.VDUB.RESIZED.3SHARP.1200kbps.Cropped.InsaneQ.Lanczos3.pmp somewhere above, for optimal quality on 480x272 screen 1200 will do very good justice. Like you I used vdub, but ded 1 pass 1200 kbps using insane quality setting of divx which produced outstanding picture detail (i sharpened 3 units, but wasn't really needed because it made certain artifacts clearer).

I will use your settings to convert some trailers to compare size/output to what I did before.
Thank You

*I just did a 2000kbps on PMP Simple Mod and did not give me any problems with the pmp playback on pmp mod.
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
ditto

Post by ditto »

--snip--
Processing video ...

fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
--snip--

2 Pass encode produces the above err when trying to use 1.01
Using no harddup on this one..

VIDEO: [XVID] 368x272 24bpp 25.000 fps 728.9 kbps (89.0 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 112.0 kbit/7.94% (ratio: 14000->176400)

now do the excact same cap, excact same clip. same settings, but change xvid to lavc & it muxes beautifully...

--snip--
Processing video ...
1956 / 1956
dwTotalFrames: 1956
dwWidth: 368
dwHeight: 272
dwScale: 1000
dwRate: 25000
movi: 8368
Max: 30683
1956 / 1956
Processing audio ...

--snip--

Excellent work so far, love the progress! =)
Both clips & any other info can be provided if need be...
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

awesome, thanx heaps jonny
(+.[____]·:·)
jonny

Post by jonny »

@ditto:

check pm plz :)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:
wooolF wrote:
xxxstarmanxxx wrote:I have now tested 12 encodes at 1200kbs vbr with audio encoded via belight and mencoder and have not found any problems with playback from the card at this rate - I guess V3 mod may just need optimising a little - I look forward to the next mini mod!
M4 is out... check official thread

by the way, have you tested with my encodings? would be nice to hear some feedback on the stuttering problem =)
Hi Woolf - Tried all your encodes on M4 - problem occurs with all files in the heavy matrix scene:(

Questions:

Did you encode using mencoder unsharpen or via vurtualdub(/mod) sharpen filter?????

Has any audio gain been implemented on the mp3 track and how was the mp3 track encoded????

How fast is the cpu on your PC???

All the best

J.
1) mencoder unsharpen
2) gain 1, using mencoder, volume normalizing
3) 3.5Ghz P4 HT using latest optimized mencoder (01.01.2006).

Regards
Ryochan7

Post by Ryochan7 »

jonny wrote:PMP Mod v1.01 & PMP Muxer v1.01

- All the problems in the "Common problems" section are corrected
- Muxer: improved avi parser (more compatibility and support up to 4GB avis)
- Muxer: improved mp3 parser (more compatibility, wild search for mp3 frames)
- Muxer: a log file is written at the end (GUI programmers can use the last line of this log for error checking)
- Muxer: the tk version should run on linux with no modifications now (please someone should confirm this)
The tk version of the muxer works on Linux without any problems. Awesome work jonny. Arigatou
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

1) mencoder unsharpen
2) gain 1, using mencoder, volume normalizing
3) 3.5Ghz P4 HT using latest optimized mencoder (01.01.2006).

Must just be Xvid CPU hungry issues I guess - Athough I haven't tried that build of mencoder yet..........I didn't know it was stable????

Here's my latest encode of the Blade Trinity trailer using VDUB instead of mencoder - maybe try this out

-----------------------------------

Blade.Trinity.1200kbs.ShArPeN20.pmp - 2.12mins - 20.94mb

http://download.filefront.com/4654097;1 ... fcd266f720

I'm quite happy with this now - and its my preffered bitrate to encode with using either VDUB or mencoder.

All the best

J.
jonny

Post by jonny »

The tk version of the muxer works on Linux without any problems. Awesome work jonny. Arigatou
thanks for the info :)
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

v_for_vendetta trailer for sharing

download here

Video 250kbps Audio 96kbps

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Z15 ... OIZJO8Z74L
tanweeho

Malloc version in Jonny's 1.01

Post by tanweeho »

Hi Jonny, is Malloc's version included in ur latest PMP 1.01? I can't seem to use any of Malloc's features in ur 1.01, such as loading a .POS file, setting contrast and volume. Apologies if i miss out something.
psp360

Post by psp360 »

Malloc let's add back those extra feature in 1.01...thanks
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@tanweeho: download mallocs 1.01 M4 build from the other thread. Jonny will merge the project with malloc anytime given and up to then you have to wait for malloc (that's being rude, malloc is lightning fast with this) to apply his changes :)
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

Latest version (M4.01) :

- added Jonny's 1.01 fixes
- added alphabetical sorting of files in selection menu
- added USB activation in selection menu (refresh file list with START)
- fixed small slowdown creating more audio drop than the previous versions (it should be as quick as the first versions now)
- fixed interface.tga hardcoded path -> the path to the pbp can now be renamed
- fixed small buffer clear bug whith zoom mode changes
- fixed small precision problem with luminosity boost
LINK
http://rapidshare.de/files/11602065/pmp ... 1.zip.html

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I think everything is intact, but just added jonny's 1.01 to his mod. I think jonny said somewhere above that they would co-ordinate and get out the same version of muxer to use on mallocs mod mod.
Phuncz

Post by Phuncz »

PMP Mod v1.1 Released for PSP

Jonny has now released a new version of his famous PMP MOD application for the PSP. This does indeed support FULL resolution AVI files on your PSP.
  • I wasn't able to crash it in the last 10 days, it should be stable and reasonably fast.
  • Everything is quite optimized, plus, i use a buffer of about 1 second to prevent slowdown on complexity spikes and keep the psp spinning frames.
  • It's programmed in a way that av will never desync (when a scene is too power demanding you'll notice audio skipping).
  • Today i've tested the battery, the app eat ~40% for a 2 hours movie (not bad considering the cpu @333 and the me running).
  • The player is totally rewritten (now i'm using only libavcodec from FFMPEG).
  • Zoom option is still missing (for videos with width and/or height

Download: here

Download Muxer 1.1: here (You will have to use this to make your media files sync)

Official Website: jonnyy.jeffe.dnsalias.com

From www.maxconsole.net . Is this something else than 1.01 ?
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

maxconsole, a big BOO goes out to you.
Big typo, and i guess they don't even re-confirm the news when someone posts them.

It is plain 1.01 ;)
lastpath

Post by lastpath »

First off I just want to say thanks for a great app for the psp.
It's reawakened my love for my psp lol.

I've gone thru this thread and the question I have are there any apps for a Mac. I've been encoding my stuff thru the terminal using mencoder, and I was hoping this new verison would allow me to use ffmpegx. However I still can't create a suitable video stream for use in pmpmod. Anyway if anyone knows please let me know. I really would like to use a gui instead of using the command line all the time.

Thanks again
csuper

Post by csuper »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:This might just get people to dump xvid encodes when you play this!!!!!

Player: Malloc's M4 PMP MOD

encoder: Mencoder using Winmenc GUI

Hmmmm........I cant quite believe i've just dumped Xvid!!!!!

J.
Impressive NO STUTERING...

If I want to replicate your configuration... What did I need ?

Or if it's too complicated can you dump a little package with the same configuration I wanna try your config on my "too often" files problem ;)

Anyway great discovery ! :)

csuper.
toker#

Post by toker# »

Hi all

Does anyone know the best encoder and profile to use for PMP?

Currently, I am using
3GP Convertor (ffmpeg)
Video: 1200kbps @ 480*272 Xvid
Audio: 128 kbps @ MP3 44.1 khz

I get sound skip every now and then, is this bitrate too high or should use something else to do my encoding?

PS: i have tried PMP Simple Convertor and VDub - same problem.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@xxxstarmanxxx
@csuper
@toker#

yes, the stuttering problem seems to be "solved" with using DiVX instead of XViD, but... the result quality of the DiVX encoding isn't any place near same encodings I do with XViD (at same bitrate or even lower (2000 vs 1200)). They are just too blurred (can be noticed very good when you see faces of people in full size). XViD encodings are very very detailed where DiVX simply blurrs the details away, thus using less CPU power and therefor no audio stuttering.

I might be wrong as I just did 2 encodings with DiVX (where I made over 40 with XViD), but for now I'm not happy with DiVX option. I've worked with graphics for + 8 years now and that's the way I make living, so I can see the visual difference between XViD and DiVX in no time...

If anyone thinks that they got the "UMD quality" DiVX encodings, please, share the INI (for mencoder), so I can try the same config here. Until then XViD isn't beaten by DiVX. The scene (warez one) chosen XViD codec for their releases not just because it's open source, but because of its quality... Remember that.
csuper

Post by csuper »

If you can share with us your .ini & methods... your results are better of what I actually succeed to get...

Anyway I got the slow MS... so you will get me very happy ;)

Thanx.

csuper.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@csuper:

I would... but my XViD encodings have audio stuttering problems (PSP CPU isn't fast enough, should be 400mhz imho), and DiVX encodings I'm not happy about (qualitywise)...

I'm working on DiVX encodings now and IF I get the same visual result as XViD (and it STILL wont have audio stuttering problems), then I'll share my configs... Until now it will just add some extra confusion...

I've just installed DivX Create Bundle v6.1.1, time to see if the newest codec can do some magic
rajah sulayman

Post by rajah sulayman »

malloc, would it be possible -- now that you've already added a "fast fast-forward," to reduce the speed of the normal fast-forward / rewind? It's pretty hard to skip back or forward just a few seconds (like when I miss something and need to rewind a few seconds to play it again), even if I just tap the FF/RR buttons.

Pardon if this has already been requested. I scanned through the pages and didn't catch wind of it.