PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

rajah sulayman wrote:malloc, would it be possible -- now that you've already added a "fast fast-forward," to reduce the speed of the normal fast-forward / rewind? It's pretty hard to skip back or forward just a few seconds (like when I miss something and need to rewind a few seconds to play it again), even if I just tap the FF/RR buttons.

Pardon if this has already been requested. I scanned through the pages and didn't catch wind of it.
It depends on the video you have (the way it was encoded, more precisely how often the key frames were inserted).
keyint=<0-300>
maximum interval between keyframes in frames (default: 250 or one keyframe every ten seconds in a 25fps movie). Keyframes are needed for seeking as seeking is only possible to a keyframe, but keyframes need more space than other frames, so larger numbers here mean slightly smaller files but less precise seeking. 0 is equivalent to 1, which makes every frame a keyframe. Values >300 are not recommended as the quality might be bad depending upon decoder, encoder and luck. For a strict MPEG-1/2/4 compliance this would have to be <=132.
Sooo... reencode the video with needed keyint and you'll be able to seek with 1sec presicion if it's needed
rajah sulayman

Post by rajah sulayman »

Thanks for the info. So it sounds more like a feature request for the fine folks behind PSPMPVerter, though it seems like a simple enough change to make in the batch files in the meantime.
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

rajah sulayman wrote:malloc, would it be possible -- now that you've already added a "fast fast-forward," to reduce the speed of the normal fast-forward / rewind? It's pretty hard to skip back or forward just a few seconds (like when I miss something and need to rewind a few seconds to play it again), even if I just tap the FF/RR buttons.
Hi,
That depends on the fps and bps.

however, there could be a SHIFT+FF which would frame advance, say 500 frames at a time? or 250 frames at a time? or how about a macro settings where you can set up and input how many frames at a time to advance, in additoni to FFW+RWD
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33359#33359
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

hyedipin wrote:however, there could be a SHIFT+FF which would frame advance, say 500 frames at a time? or 250 frames at a time? or how about a macro settings where you can set up and input how many frames at a time to advance, in additoni to FFW+RWD
I doubt that is possible... but I'm not a programmer...
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

depends on how FF is programmed..
skip forward x frames should be easy to incorporate if that's how FF works..
otherwise, it might be difficult.
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
csuper

Post by csuper »

wooolF wrote:@csuper:

I would... but my XViD encodings have audio stuttering problems (PSP CPU isn't fast enough, should be 400mhz imho), and DiVX encodings I'm not happy about (qualitywise)...

I'm working on DiVX encodings now and IF I get the same visual result as XViD (and it STILL wont have audio stuttering problems), then I'll share my configs... Until now it will just add some extra confusion...

I've just installed DivX Create Bundle v6.1.1, time to see if the newest codec can do some magic
Ok i will wait ;) argh... :)

Good luck, And May The ..... be with U !
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

csuper wrote:
wooolF wrote:@csuper:

I would... but my XViD encodings have audio stuttering problems (PSP CPU isn't fast enough, should be 400mhz imho), and DiVX encodings I'm not happy about (qualitywise)...

I'm working on DiVX encodings now and IF I get the same visual result as XViD (and it STILL wont have audio stuttering problems), then I'll share my configs... Until now it will just add some extra confusion...

I've just installed DivX Create Bundle v6.1.1, time to see if the newest codec can do some magic
Ok i will wait ;) argh... :)

Good luck, And May The ..... be with U !
The only thing I need is some more CPU power and some more free time ;) God doesn't participate in my current encodings (at least yet!) :P
By the way, I started to get very good results (encoding Matrix 2, scene 15 (the fight between Mr.Anderson and Neo with more then 100 moving people in that scene constantly)). I got 95% visually good video and no audio stuttering at all... I'm still trying some extra settings and after that (most likely tomorrow) I'll post my settings.

Regards
nectron101

Post by nectron101 »

Nice work!!!
Bad Input = F grade
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

wooolF wrote:@xxxstarmanxxx
@csuper
@toker#

yes, the stuttering problem seems to be "solved" with using DiVX instead of XViD, but... the result quality of the DiVX encoding isn't any place near same encodings I do with XViD (at same bitrate or even lower (2000 vs 1200)). They are just too blurred (can be noticed very good when you see faces of people in full size). XViD encodings are very very detailed where DiVX simply blurrs the details away, thus using less CPU power and therefor no audio stuttering.

I might be wrong as I just did 2 encodings with DiVX (where I made over 40 with XViD), but for now I'm not happy with DiVX option. I've worked with graphics for + 8 years now and that's the way I make living, so I can see the visual difference between XViD and DiVX in no time...

If anyone thinks that they got the "UMD quality" DiVX encodings, please, share the INI (for mencoder), so I can try the same config here. Until then XViD isn't beaten by DiVX. The scene (warez one) chosen XViD codec for their releases not just because it's open source, but because of its quality... Remember that.
Hello mate.

Granted xvid library can produce a much better result at any bitrate over divx.

The problem currently is until Jonny has all the code cleaned up and optimised you're just not gonna be able to play 1200kbs xvid's at the mo.

I have a 2gb card and an average 2hr movie at 1200kbs 2pass divx comes in at 1120mb.

At 2000kbs 2pass an average movie encodes to 1.8gb - and is as close to UMD as I think I'm ever gonna get.

In 12 months time some of us will be buying 4gb memorystick duo pro's - which will make the PSP the ultimate portable video player for its time.

Then we can encode 3000-4000kbs movies and get our rocks off.

I will probrably move back to Xvid if it ever becomes less cpu intensive but for now Xvid over DivX only matters at low bitrates.

For instance if I was to set up a 2pass encode at 768kbs I would still use Xvid.

Lets all hope Jonny can find some cycles for Xvid'ers.

All the best

J.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

miemt11 wrote:v_for_vendetta trailer for sharing

download here

Video 250kbps Audio 96kbps

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Z15 ... OIZJO8Z74L
Hi miemt11.

Can I request your encoder settings for this file and what you used????

The blacks and shadows are patchy but i'm impressed with the sharpness for such a small file.

How many passes ???? 3?4?5?6???

Nice post!

J.
digital99

Post by digital99 »

Is anyone using Winmenc and encoding directly from dvd? I know it's the easiest way, sorta 1 step from dvd to pmp. But I'm encountering a strange problem with subtitles in the result video, the subtitles won't show up in some videos until half way through. I'm wondering if it's a bug from mencoder, anyone know of other way to include subtitles from dvd to pmp or how to fix this issue?
Xcarecrow

Post by Xcarecrow »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:
miemt11 wrote:v_for_vendetta trailer for sharing

download here

Video 250kbps Audio 96kbps

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Z15 ... OIZJO8Z74L
Hi miemt11.

Can I request your encoder settings for this file and what you used????

The blacks and shadows are patchy but i'm impressed with the sharpness for such a small file.

How many passes ???? 3?4?5?6???

Nice post!

J.
I want to know the settings too, such a small file with great quality, thanx!!
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

what settings?
he already mentioned Video 250kbps Audio 96kbps

just input/adjust the above values in Simple PMP Converter and try the same source (head to mac.com's trailer and grab a mov trailer) and try it.
psp360

Post by psp360 »

miemt11

I have just tried your V trailer and i would also like to get more details as to how you got such a sweet balance between quailty and size...Thanks...guys we really need to start putting down some standards and guides so that everyone can follow on each others success and avoid repeating same errors. It would save countless hours and we will all aadvance faster with quaily results if we are all on the same page!
csuper

Post by csuper »

psp360 wrote:miemt11

I have just tried your V trailer and i would also like to get more details as to how you got such a sweet balance between quailty and size...Thanks...guys we really need to start putting down some standards and guides so that everyone can follow on each others success and avoid repeating same errors. It would save countless hours and we will all aadvance faster with quaily results if we are all on the same page!
Yep I completely agree with you.
But I know that making a guide is time consuming...
So people, do your best ! Everything is appreciated ! :)

csuper.
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

what u actually found someone who knows how to use XviD properly, have you people ever tried capping quantizers, motion search precisions 6, vhq 4,
chroma motion and trellis quantizer, or do u simply queue up that AVI in one of the multiple frontend encoders that spawned since PMP 1.0 and click a few buttons, and thats your output.

try making a PMP from scratch, script it, then encode it.
not just whack that movie in the frontend and press go u will ALWAYS get inferior results. Any video post processing should be done in AviSynth NOT vdub, vdub and its native filters are incredibly slow compared to frameserving.

the whole point of XviD is lowbitrate high res quality encodings.

edit: bwahahaha OMG u guys have tobe kidding, u call that good quality for size compromise, omg learn to use the codec people. by the way, that clip doesnt agree with PMP 1.01 at all
Last edited by GiBBz on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(+.[____]·:·)
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

hyedipin wrote:what settings?
he already mentioned Video 250kbps Audio 96kbps

just input/adjust the above values in Simple PMP Converter and try the same source (head to mac.com's trailer and grab a mov trailer) and try it.
Hmmmm - Encoded from a .Mov file - ??? So its already an mpeg4 file re-encoded to pmp ???

I'm guessing that the resulting file size is so small because there is less detail to encode from that file - which is interesting.

To replicate I could convert a Vob to a 2pass high bit rate Xvid - then re-encode it again down to a low bit rate dor pmp - But is it worth the time???

I doubt this would be practical for a movie encode as the dark scenes would have noticable a blocking output.

At the mo - you cant get near this bitrate with any encoder straight from a vob file.

I'm looking forward to what 0.09 has in store for us!

All the best

J.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

GiBBz wrote:what u actually found someone who knows how to use XviD properly, have you people ever tried capping quantizers, motion search precisions 6, vhq 4,
chroma motion and trellis quantizer, or do u simply queue up that AVI in one of the multiple frontend encoders that spawned since PMP 1.0 and click a few buttons, and thats your output.

not just whack that movie in the frontend and press go u will ALWAYS get inferior results. Any video post processing should be done in AviSynth NOT vdub, vdub and its native filters are incredibly slow compared to frameserving.

Hello mate -

You obviously have some knowledge -

Maybe you could help the thread with some avi frame serving tips and share your encoder know how.

I for one would appreciate it

All the best

J.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

GiBBz wrote:what u actually found someone who knows how to use XviD properly, have you people ever tried capping quantizers, motion search precisions 6, vhq 4,

edit: bwahahaha OMG u guys have tobe kidding, u call that good quality for size compromise, omg learn to use the codec people. by the way, that clip doesnt agree with PMP 1.01 at all
I've done over 40 encodings with XViD using nearly all video filters I could. I worked with DVD reencodings to DiVX and then to XViD for ages (literaturally). And I have found the best setting I could, the video looks astonishing, really crystal and clear. But there's a "but", which is audio distortion. I took about 3-4 days on that problem, now I've moved to DiVX and I got nearly same result (95% is visually perfect and as good as XViD), but without any audio distortions... I will post my encoding later on to look at.

And yes, I do agree... that V trailer's (+3mb) quality suck big time... no idea what people are happy about...
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

digital99 wrote:Is anyone using Winmenc and encoding directly from dvd? I know it's the easiest way, sorta 1 step from dvd to pmp. But I'm encountering a strange problem with subtitles in the result video, the subtitles won't show up in some videos until half way through. I'm wondering if it's a bug from mencoder, anyone know of other way to include subtitles from dvd to pmp or how to fix this issue?
I do, posted about it earlier on. I had no problems using subs (but I don't use'em), just tried how it worked.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Here's my try to get the best quality at reasonable (or not) size with DiVX. Took me about 16 reencodings to get to this quality WITHOUT any audio distortion.

Source : Matrix 2 DVD, scene 15
Duration : About 3mins
Result : 480x272 pixels, Q3 VBR, lots of other video filters to optimize the quality, 128kbps CBR audio, 34Mb
All done with WinMEnc 0.5x and latest mencoder (from 01.01.2006).

http://files.filefront.com/take16pmp/;4 ... einfo.html

I would like to hear some comments on the quality and if people have ANY audio distortion at all...

PS: Do NOT report any audio distortion if you're not using the default original PMP Mod by jonny.

PS2: IF you use any other mod (not by jonny) and you have NO audio distortion, please report.
Last edited by wooolF on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jvpsp

Post by jvpsp »

could you please let us know where to get the latest version of mencoder. the one on the official site is older, and I'm too lazy to compile it myself. Is this a windows binary?
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

jvpsp wrote:
could you please let us know where to get the latest version of mencoder. the one on the official site is older, and I'm too lazy to compile it myself. Is this a windows binary?
I found the link somewhere in this thread... search... I would share, but I'm not home right now. And yes, I've used a windows binary optimized for P4
toker#

Post by toker# »

Wonder would it be possible to have resume function. It is some a issue to forward to where you last stop in the movie.

I recoded my movie to using 3GP Convertor
Video: 480*272 Xvid @768kbps - 2Pass
Audio: MP3 @ 128kbps

This have stopped the audio skip issue. The problem occurs again when i use 900kbps or above. I dont have Divx as the quality is not as good as Xvid.
768 kbps is produces good results but would like to use 1500kbps to achieve near UMD quality.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

toker# wrote:Wonder would it be possible to have resume function. It is some a issue to forward to where you last stop in the movie.

I recoded my movie to using 3GP Convertor
Video: 480*272 Xvid @768kbps - 2Pass
Audio: MP3 @ 128kbps

This have stopped the audio skip issue. The problem occurs again when i use 900kbps or above. I dont have Divx as the quality is not as good as Xvid.
768 kbps is produces good results but would like to use 1500kbps to achieve near UMD quality.
For resume feature look for malloc's PMP Mod here

XViD 768 looks bad IMHO, I found XViD @ 1200kbps looking very sharp and crystal (with optimizing the video filters).
toker#

Post by toker# »

yeah, i was using 1200 kbps Xvid which looked awesome but had audio skip issue. 768 kbps is ok but not as good obviously but at least I dont get audi skip. I have also tried 900 / 1000 / 1200 / 1500 kbps and they all give me audio skip.

Thanks for the mod link.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

toker# wrote:yeah, i was using 1200 kbps Xvid which looked awesome but had audio skip issue. 768 kbps is ok but not as good obviously but at least I dont get audi skip. I have also tried 900 / 1000 / 1200 / 1500 kbps and they all give me audio skip.

Thanks for the mod link.
My pleasure... Also, try to use DiVX instead of XViD... look at my results:
wooolF wrote:Here's my try to get the best quality at reasonable (or not) size with DiVX. Took me about 16 reencodings to get to this quality WITHOUT any audio distortion.

Source : Matrix 2 DVD, scene 15
Duration : About 3mins
Result : 480x272 pixels, Q3 VBR, lots of other video filters to optimize the quality, 128kbps CBR audio, 34Mb

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0C01 ... 00AFRGXCCU

I would like to hear some comments on the quality and if people have ANY audio distortion at all...

PS: Do NOT report any audio distortion if you're not using the default original PMP Mod by jonny.

PS2: IF you use any other mod (not by jonny) and you have NO audio distortion, please report.
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

jvpsp wrote:

There you go:

1/22/2006 Mencoder
dnnsmanace

Post by dnnsmanace »

jonny:

Video no longer freezes like it did before for me with the new muxer/update. Thank you.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

hyedipin wrote:
jvpsp wrote:

There you go:

1/22/2006 Mencoder
or here (for CPU optimized build which is faster):
http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/mplayer