Porting external libraries to PSP that use automake scripts

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

GenericBum

Porting external libraries to PSP that use automake scripts

Post by GenericBum »

I have several large linux-based libraries that I'd like to port to PSP. I'm using the cygwin windows-based development environment.

Is there any set way to preserve the automake/configure script structure but add parameters so they can be run against the PSP environment?

I can run configure under cygwin and then compile the library, but that builds an i686-cygwin version of the lib instead of compiling for PSP.

I'm not super familiar with automake, but I can hack my way through some configuration and tweaking.

Let's take the trunk/Zziplib port for PSP as an example. Someone ported that library to PSP, and yet when I look at the automake and configure scripts, I don't see anything PSP specific. In fact, I'm not altogether sure how to compile the Zziplib port for PSP.

By contrast trunk/Zlib had a modified Makefile and compiled right out of svn.

I found a way to run the configure script in another thread.. something like this:

LDFLAGS="-L`psp-config --pspsdk-path`/lib -lc -lpspuser" ./configure --host psp --prefix=`psp-config --psp-prefix`

I'm assuming this sets up the proper environment vars to build files for the PSP OS. But when i try this, I get an error mentioning that the PSP host couldn't be found.

Thanks,
GenericBum
jimparis

Re: Porting external libraries to PSP that use automake scri

Post by jimparis »

GenericBum wrote:Let's take the trunk/Zziplib port for PSP as an example. Someone ported that library to PSP
It was never ported: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... light=zzip
when I look at the automake and configure scripts, I don't see anything PSP specific.
You need to add the psp host to config.sub.
LDFLAGS="-L`psp-config --pspsdk-path`/lib -lc -lpspuser" ./configure --host psp --prefix=`psp-config --psp-prefix`
Something like that will generally work once you add the psp architecture.

You will find it useful to look at how all of the other libs were ported, eg:

Code: Select all

svn log svn://svn.pspdev.org/psp/trunk/libTremor
svn diff -r1377:1378 svn://svn.pspdev.org/psp/trunk/libTremor
GenericBum

Post by GenericBum »

Thanks jimparis for the help.

I got several of the libraries compiled, but not the test executables by simply copying in the config.sub from libTremor and modifying the source a little. That's about as far as I need to take zziplib since I'll be testing the library with another executable.

Who would I contact about giving them the modified files.. knowing that the make only compiles the libs.. but not the executables?

GenericBum