PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

Smallville Sample

Video: 250kbps, Audio: 96kbps

Divx format = 2.90MB
http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1YE6 ... J894EYBFRF

Xvid Format = 2.46MB
http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3VYZ ... Q3S905SWEX

3ivx Format = 2.55MB
http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2LPX ... FQVM925TA8
Last edited by miemt11 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMP Simple Converter 0.08 Package Lite edition
http://dl.qj.net/PMP-Simple-Converter-0 ... 8/catid/30
PMP Simple Converter 0.07 Package Lite edition
http://www8.rapidupload.com/d.php?file= ... path=16370
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Cheers Jonny - Your plane does more than fly!!!

Right.................

Latest test:

Blade.Trinity.PURE.3vix.2000kbs.pmp - 33.92mb

http://download.filefront.com/4679019;1 ... fcd266f720

After spending the night looking at 3vix i'm very pleased with the result - If you compare this with my earlier xvid 2000 and divx 2000 encodes the file size is pretty spot on.

Differences:

Using the 3vix codec I have turned on everything but the Mpeg setting and have found that the sharpness is as good as my xvid encode - But ghosting is far less apparent - Turn up the brightness on malloc's mod and have a look at the black levels - Much less background distortion in dark scenes.

This encode is now my benchmark encode at 2000kbs.

The only negative thing about the codec is its prediction during encoding. I found that I had to encode at a constant bitrate of 300k (equates to 3000kbs - Wierd how this codec counts in 'k' ) over 2 passes to get a 2000kbs encode.

So its not very accurate - but it produces a bloody great looking file and is simple to set up as follows:
First pass: no settings needed

Second pass:

Set encode mode to constant bitrate and 300k

Advanced options:

Check Half Pixel / Four Vector Motion / Adaptive Quantisization

DONT use Mpeg! and leave pixels as square.

A guide to the codec is here:

http://www.3ivx.com/support/windows/encoding/vfw.html

There you have it - an easy codec (with a few bitrate prediction quirks!) that produces xvid quality encodes with some extra advantages for dark scenes!

If I could ask someone who has been following my progress with this trailer to compare it with my Xvid 2000 encode please.

If you dont have it here it is:

http://download.filefront.com/4669217;1 ... fcd266f720

Thankyou in advance.

J.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@xxxstarmanxxx:
You just got my personal Guinness record of multiposting: sixtupel posting, never seen that before :)

Ah well... do as you like, but don't let the MODs catch you :P
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Raphael wrote:@xxxstarmanxxx:
You just got my personal Guinness record of multiposting: sixtupel posting, never seen that before :)

???? Sorry I dont understand that - Has this gone out six times????

I've only got it shown once in my browser???

Could you explain if I'm doing somethimg wrong?

J.
jonny

Post by jonny »

sixtupel posting, never seen that before :)
really? where?

afaik wooolF have the record ( quad-posting at page 27 )
if this thread is a container, wooolF is a sort of interleaved stream :P
(man, really, this hurt the already poor legibility of this thread :)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:
Raphael wrote:@xxxstarmanxxx:

???? Sorry I dont understand that - Has this gone out six times????

I've only got it shown once in my browser???

Could you explain if I'm doing somethimg wrong?

J.
Nah, just starting from here, you posted six times in a row. This is normally a big no-no in forum rules :)

@jonny: But if wooolF alone was the video stream, the interleaving would be poor and cause audio-stuttering ;) (I've got some serious deja-vue)
jonny

Post by jonny »

you posted six times in a row. This is normally a big no-no in forum rules :)
he is going on with a constructive discussion, i think this is the most important thing ;)
@jonny: But if wooolF alone was the video stream, the interleaving would be poor and cause audio-stuttering ;) (I've got some serious deja-vue)
lol :)
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Ah....I see where you're getting at. Sorry - wont happen again - This is the first time i've been involved with a DEV thread - i'm no coder like you guys - I just love playing with Video stuff. I think my over excitment got the better of me in this fast moving thread.

Wont happen again.

Keep up up great work guys.

J.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

jonny wrote: he is going on with a constructive discussion, i think this is the most important thing ;)
That's right, so I wasn't trying to be square or sth :) Just wanted to point out that at this rate, we could cause some buffer overflow in the postcounter ;) (probably causing an exploit that will downgrade the forum's firmware?)

But lets get back to topic now :)
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

Smallville Sample

Video: 250 and Audio: 96

H.264 AVC format = 2.60MB (if one day it can supported)
http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0RP1 ... QAU99W1ZLH
kaveman

Post by kaveman »

I've noticed that some files I've encoded (for example a TV episode Scrubs Episode 505 [on eztv]) when muxed ends up with a 0.6 second audio delay.

When playing on a PC the original file seems fine, and the audio is in sync, but when converted to PMP format (using WinMenc, DivX setting) the sync is out.

I've been inspecting a number of files, and normally there is a marginal sync issue as reported by the log file (<0.1, normally <0.07) but some files seem to be way out.

I converted my Monsters Inc DVD yesterday (NTSC, 29.97, forced FILM 23.976 fps) and got a >0.2s sync error. Whilst lipsync is less obvious on CGI animation, the problem still exists and seems independent of source, target bitrate or frame rate.

Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas why this might be? Any solutions?
jonny

Post by jonny »

when muxed ends up with a 0.6 second audio delay
this is not an audio delay, is the difference between video length and audio length.
the important thing is that the start of the audio match the start of the video.

never encountered this problems (for dvd i use DGMPGDec, Ac3 Delay Corrector, BeSweet, and AviSynth/VDub)
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

Let Share "The notorious bettie page" trailer

Video: 512, Audio: 96

http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0ZSR ... IKXFKFELDJ
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

kaveman wrote:I've noticed that some files I've encoded (for example a TV episode Scrubs Episode 505 [on eztv]) when muxed ends up with a 0.6 second audio delay.

When playing on a PC the original file seems fine, and the audio is in sync, but when converted to PMP format (using WinMenc, DivX setting) the sync is out.

I've been inspecting a number of files, and normally there is a marginal sync issue as reported by the log file (<0.1, normally <0.07) but some files seem to be way out.

I converted my Monsters Inc DVD yesterday (NTSC, 29.97, forced FILM 23.976 fps) and got a >0.2s sync error. Whilst lipsync is less obvious on CGI animation, the problem still exists and seems independent of source, target bitrate or frame rate.

Has anyone else come across this? Any ideas why this might be? Any solutions?
Hello mate - In this case I would normally encode the mp3 again from your source using belight and inputting the audio delay in the OTA box.

If you are using mencoder with Winmenc - just take the pmp.bat file out of the extra settings so you are left with an AVI.

Then mux your avi with your delayed belight mp3.

That should get you almost spot on.

Hope that helps

J.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Guys whenever i encode (pmp simple 0.08) i still get that red fringing i was getting with the asp mp4 i encoded before pmp was introduced?Y?I m not making any framerate conversion.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

therock003 wrote:Guys whenever i encode (pmp simple 0.08) i still get that red fringing i was getting with the asp mp4 i encoded before pmp was introduced?Y?I m not making any framerate conversion.
Is the source file a Divx avi???

I ask as I've seen the same with some of the old rips I have.

I did improve it with the 3vix codec but I'm guessing this is an artifact you'll have to live with when you re-encode and mpeg4 bitstream to another mpeg4 bitstream.

I've never encountered it when encoding from mpeg2 vob files.

=================
@miemt11

I also hope h.264 will become a reality if the player can be optimised any more.

I would love to rip umd movies if anyone finds a way to get into the atrac format sony use for audio - and use them on this player.

All the best.

J.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Well It's xvid.Thing is, i need to encode my tv shows into pmp format,so i aint got no choice since they're most of them xvid and some divx.

What can be done?
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

therock003 wrote:Well It's xvid.Thing is, i need to encode my tv shows into pmp format,so i aint got no choice since they're most of them xvid and some divx.

What can be done?
Not that I know of mate - check your re-encoded avi on a pc screen first - Some of the fringing will be caused by the PSP screen's slow response timings.

J.
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

miemt11

It was difficult to tell the difference between your 3 Smallville samples. Because the vrate was so low, artifacting was consistent in all of them. I'll agree that we can set lower standards for TV encodes, but I still prefer watching my shows w/o artifacts. :)

xxxstarmanxxx

Great work on the 3ivx encode! Much better than your previous encodes of that trailer. Have you tried encoding with libavcodec (mencoder's default)? I've been using Q3 VBR w/sharpen and it seems to produce great results all around.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:
therock003 wrote:Well It's xvid.Thing is, i need to encode my tv shows into pmp format,so i aint got no choice since they're most of them xvid and some divx.

What can be done?
Not that I know of mate - check your re-encoded avi on a pc screen first - Some of the fringing will be caused by the PSP screen's slow response timings.

J.
I encode them to pmp directly so i can't test them.Is there a way to pla pmp on pc?

Well thing is that on some videos i don't have this problem.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

@K0nan - hello mate - Yes I have tried Libavc Divx codec but I find in comparisons that detail is lost - Check out Blades complection on his face in my 2000kbs encodes of DIVX - XVID - 3VIX.

I rank them as follows: 1st 3vix 2nd xvid and 3rd divx - file sizes between these 3 encodes are only around 1mb different on the trailer.

3vix is great because you get some of the cool reworked stuff from the divx codec (like half pixel) - but you dont loose the sharpness.

Thankyou for the feedback on the 3vix trailer - I was begining to think I was becoming delusional and there was no difference.

I am currently doing all my DVD rips with 3vix as its output is as good as xvid - and it encodes in realtime on my machine (I was only getting 17fps with xvid and divx - sometimes less).

@therock

If you're using command line mencoder - edit the bat file so it doesnt call the muxer (just take it out) - you'll then be left with hte avi that will play in windows.

If you're using winmenc GUI - just take out the psp.bat file selection - in the extras tab.

When you're happy - Mux with muxer1.02

All the best

J.
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

xxxstarmanxxx

Had you tried using the unsharp=l3x3:1:c3x3:1 command when using libavc?

Also, it's good that point out you used the "Libavc Divx codec", as referring to it as just "divx" the way the mencoder front-ends do (Winmenc, PSP Simple, etc), is somewhat of a misnomer. Since mencoder only includes libavc by default, setting it to output divx is simply replacing the standard ffmpeg fourcc (FMP4) with that of divx.

At first, I incorrectly assumed this was same as using the true DivX codec library, which is entirely different and no longer part of mencoder. I think quite a few of us on the board refer to our outputs as "divx", when in fact there may be large differences between libavc divx and true DivX. Have you tried using the actual DivX codec and seeing how it compared to xvid, 3ivx, libavc?
Last edited by k0nan on Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:@K0nan - hello mate - Yes I have tried Libavc Divx codec but I find in comparisons that detail is lost - Check out Blades complection on his face in my 2000kbs encodes of DIVX - XVID - 3VIX.

I rank them as follows: 1st 3vix 2nd xvid and 3rd divx - file sizes between these 3 encodes are only around 1mb different on the trailer.

3vix is great because you get some of the cool reworked stuff from the divx codec (like half pixel) - but you dont loose the sharpness.

Thankyou for the feedback on the 3vix trailer - I was begining to think I was becoming delusional and there was no difference.

I am currently doing all my DVD rips with 3vix as its output is as good as xvid - and it encodes in realtime on my machine (I was only getting 17fps with xvid and divx - sometimes less).

@therock

If you're using command line mencoder - edit the bat file so it doesnt call the muxer (just take it out) - you'll then be left with hte avi that will play in windows.

If you're using winmenc GUI - just take out the psp.bat file selection - in the extras tab.

When you're happy - Mux with muxer1.02

All the best

J.

Hmmmm, you got a little typo error
it is 3ivx and not 3vix.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

@k0nan.

Sorry - Thats what I meant - I checked my old bat files in winmenc encodes - and yes - avc library used with fourcc divx output.

I tried again a 2000kbs vbr using this kbs and the unsharpen filter but it doesnt cut it on the trailer.

The clip is good - but if you look at Blades's face in the close up shots during the trailer - it has lost its detail compared to the following encoder settings in Vdub with an avi script.

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD2AVI_NIC\System\DGDecode.DLL")
MPEG2Source("E:\test.d2v").Crop(4,16,712,548)
Sharpen(1.0)
Lanczos4Resize(480, 272)

I think this is because there is no better filter for resizing at the mo - The Lanczos4Resize is a much higher quality than even LancsozHQResize and produces sharper results when combined with a sharpen filter.

However there are benefits to using mencoder - Its faster!!!!!

On average - 17fps (vdub) against 34fps (mencoder) on the second pass - but for now I can live with the time factor if Vdub is producing stuff like my 3ivx 2000 encode.
==============

@miemt11

LOL - Doh!

Any news about a follow up on simple with 2pass encoding???

All the best

J.
dnnsmanace

Post by dnnsmanace »

Why cant mp3s be vbr?
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:@k0nan.

Sorry - Thats what I meant - I checked my old bat files in winmenc encodes - and yes - avc library used with fourcc divx output.

I tried again a 2000kbs vbr using this kbs and the unsharpen filter but it doesnt cut it on the trailer.

The clip is good - but if you look at Blades's face in the close up shots during the trailer - it has lost its detail compared to the following encoder settings in Vdub with an avi script.

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD2AVI_NIC\System\DGDecode.DLL")
MPEG2Source("E:\test.d2v").Crop(4,16,712,548)
Sharpen(1.0)
Lanczos4Resize(480, 272)

I think this is because there is no better filter for resizing at the mo - The Lanczos4Resize is a much higher quality than even LancsozHQResize and produces sharper results when combined with a sharpen filter.

However there are benefits to using mencoder - Its faster!!!!!

On average - 17fps (vdub) against 34fps (mencoder) on the second pass - but for now I can live with the time factor if Vdub is producing stuff like my 3ivx 2000 encode.
==============

@miemt11

LOL - Doh!

Any news about a follow up on simple with 2pass encoding???

All the best

J.
@xxxstarmanxxx
Currently the developement status is halt, due to personnel/family (important) reason
There will not be any develop progress until end of feb 2006
So at the moment use Version 0.08
http://dl.qj.net/dl.php?fid=818

W.I.P version 0.10 preview screenshot

@all
I also looking for new or different mpeg4 encoder other than the following (mencoder, ffmpeg, vdub), a complete new and faster/good quality video converter. So that it can add to my next PMP Simple Converter. (All this will happen, until end of feb 2006)
NSCXP2005

Post by NSCXP2005 »

Hello xxxstarmanxxx.

I;m having problems with 3ivx. I'm using VisualDubMod. I set it up the way you specified & whan I save the output to AVI the size counter does not move.

When I tell the codec where the log file is, & save to AVI it crashes the program.

any ideas whats wrong?

plz reply ASAP.

cheers & thanks in advance

NSCXP2005
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

NSCXP2005 wrote:Hello xxxstarmanxxx.

I;m having problems with 3ivx. I'm using VisualDubMod. I set it up the way you specified & whan I save the output to AVI the size counter does not move.

When I tell the codec where the log file is, & save to AVI it crashes the program.

any ideas whats wrong?

plz reply ASAP.

cheers & thanks in advance

NSCXP2005
Sounds like you're not setting up the 1st pass/2nd pass correctly in Vdub.

When you save the 1st pass as an avi make sure you tick the box on the file selector 'dont run this job now, run it it batch mode' option.

Then change the codec to 2 pass and choose your settings - save avi again (different name) - again making sure you tick the box in the file selector.

Then go to job control in the file menu and 'start' your encode.

All should go fine.

J.
Phuncz

Post by Phuncz »

Now that Homebrew is possible on 2.01, 2.5 and 2.6, would it be possible that PMPMod will run on these at some time ? I don't ask when, just if it would be possible :)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

I've updated my findings on PMP format encodings and compability with PSP.

Here's samples:
IslandFever3.DivX.q3.pmp
IslandFever3.DivX.q2.pmp
IslandFever3.DivX.q4.pmp
IslandFever3.DivX.vbr1300.2pass.pmp
IslandFever3.DivX.vbr1000.2pass.pmp
IslandFever3.DivX.vbr1500.2pass.pmp

Source: HDTV
Resolution: 480x272
The rest can be "read" from the name of the file.

After my *personal* opinion, I would recommend using CQ3 or (even better) using at least 1200kbps VBR 2 pass (preferably +1300).
There are *really* many reasons why I chosen lavc over any other codec and why I've chosen the settings I've used (even their order).

I'll post my settings tomorrow. Off to bed now... Until now, feel free to comment on these encodings ;)
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/