PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Eingang

Post by Eingang »

jonny wrote:
Please don't be full of yourself!
i must say i agree with yoshaw
this thread is going really out of it's original scope
and the problem is not going out of scope, the problem is not having a scope
i'm bored with "what is the best utopy", i've also lost hope about my "clean thread utopy"
wooolF, i've never seen such kind of forum flooding, you are really not required to comment every single message going on here, this thread is not your personal blog, it's here for everyone
now, try to use common sense, make constructive discussions with the target of helping and the rule of respect
I also agree and would suggest to split all this encoding stuff up to another thread.

Also thank you so much for your work Jonny, release 1.2 - and of course I will respect your wishes concerning legal stuff. I´m sorry I didn´t see that posting encoded passages of (bought) DVDs could be a problem.

bye
jonny

Post by jonny »

Also a question @ Jonny - Do you believe there is any more optimizations left to go????
sure, it's only a question of time (i have a long todo list about this)
atm i'm working on memstick/hdd optimizations (i really want to make the datel hdd usable, since i've got it)

jonny, I tested the first chapter of LOST with malloc's latest mod and I think that the option to adjust the luminance is really useful to avoid ghosting. All the problems I had had with some very contrasted scenes disappeared changing the luminance. Maybe it would be useful to add a filter during the encoding of the file, but it would be great to be able to change this in your version. Other things like keeping the position of the video when you stop it or the usb refresh list on the file browser aren't needed. Malloc's mod has too many don't useful thinks, but this one and the elapsed time display are the only really useful. Do you mind on working on it?
atm the focus is on the core
i want to include volume boost, luminance, zoom and basic time display, but the implementation of this features really depends on the way i'll modify/optimize the core
let's first have a well defined, optimized core before adding things to it. everything must follow a natural order (so you have to patience a bit)

@all:
ok, let's keep this thread dev related, so, from now (i quote k0nan):
Then this thread could revert back to application-specific discussion of PMP Mod, issues, updates, suggestions, feedback, and general praise and appreciation of jonny's hard work. :)
(i like the last part :P )

everything not falling in this categories will be redirected.
ps2dev.org is dev related, i think it's not the case to flood it with video encoding related threads.

i've created a new thread @doom9.org:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=106714

doom9.org is completely video/audio related, so there is more liberty to open new threads to follow a particular program or a particular guide.
i also encourage to not focus everything in this thread, but to split relevant discussion in different threads
everyone with a guide or an encoding gui could open a new thread in the correct section and drop me a pm (i'll try to index all the relevant discussions in the main thread)
toker#

Post by toker# »

Thanks Johnny, 1.02 is working fine for me.
Xvid @ 1000kbps (29.97fps), no audio problems. Audio stutter stills occurs which I use 1200kbps or above on 29.97fps.
I have also tested 15000kbps Xvid @ 25fps and no audio stutter.
This has lead me to believe audio stutter is to do with fps and not bitrate.
Will a few more test to confirm, is anyone else finding the same thing?

Johnny, r we likely to see H.264 and AAC anytime soon?
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

toker# wrote:Thanks Johnny, 1.02 is working fine for me.
Xvid @ 1000kbps (29.97fps), no audio problems. Audio stutter stills occurs which I use 1200kbps or above on 29.97fps.
I have also tested 15000kbps Xvid @ 25fps and no audio stutter.
Will a few more test to confirm, is anyone else finding the same thing?

Johnny, r we likely to see H.264 and AAC anytime soon?
You're asking that after saying that there are still problems with xvid? :P
jonny

Post by jonny »

the real answer is both fps and bitrate
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Sorted wrote:What we need is a best settings thread that takes into acount all the convertors and codecs.

I know woolf is a bit of a prolific poster but at least he is keen to help others and is very positive
http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/ (DiVX)

I'll post my XViD guide as soon as I feel that XViD is usable on PSP using PMP Mod (until now heavy scenes have problems).

Sooo... will be watching the thread... If you need help regarding encoding, ask me on my blog... At least I wont get bashed there for trying to help people saving their time with encodings trying to archive the best resultat and for expressing my personal opinion on that or another encoding...

Regards
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/
therock003

Post by therock003 »

cmon dude relax!

Can i ask you a couple of questions,depending on your guide?

A)Why haven't you used the high quality option for divx?
B)Your guide applies for the video files as well,not only dvd right?
C)If my source is xvid,won't i have better results if i reencode it to an xvid rather than divx?
D)Is WinMenc better than miemts tool in your opinion,since you seem to have experimented a lot?
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

therock003 wrote:Can i ask you a couple of questions,depending on your guide?
therock003: yeah right let's completely IGNORE what jonny & others (even wooolF ) had REPEATLY said about keeping this thread PMP MOD & debug related and once again flood it w/ all the encoding/codec questions ... yah~!
jonny

Post by jonny »

@wooolF:

1) Reply directly to me, if you have something to say. I don't like those type of generic crying.
2) You can impress noobs with your guide, but not me. There is nothing in your guide that guarantee 1-quality 2-no stuttering 3-size control over the final encode. What you claim the best is no more than a noobbish guide.
At least I wont get bashed
I'm near to bash you at doom9.org too.
My advice is to simply keep the distance to the threads i open.
Sorted

Post by Sorted »

Jonny as the inventor what in your opinion is the best settings to get the best quality out of PMP MOD. You dont have to answer here of course :)
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

wooolF wrote:
Sorted wrote:What we need is a best settings thread that takes into acount all the convertors and codecs.

I know woolf is a bit of a prolific poster but at least he is keen to help others and is very positive
http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/ (DiVX)

I'll post my XViD guide as soon as I feel that XViD is usable on PSP using PMP Mod (until now heavy scenes have problems).

Sooo... will be watching the thread... If you need help regarding encoding, ask me on my blog... At least I wont get bashed there for trying to help people saving their time with encodings trying to archive the best resultat and for expressing my personal opinion on that or another encoding...

Regards
I must admit that the comments jonny posted over at doom9 are very valid woolf -

The guy has set up a seperate thread for the purpose of cleaning up - and making a DEV only thread - and you have kind of desicrated it already.

But hey - keep up the good work with your findings over here.

I should point out that the description in your link should read the 'fastest way to achieve pmp files with no audio skipping' and not 'the best quality'.

Xvid is already usable on PMP Mod - filesize controlable - and quality superior at any bitrate compared to divx - no matter what settings anyone uses.

The fact that you haven't touched an avs script to produce any file that has been pre-filtered before encoding is why I think jonny would class it as a noobie encoding method - especially from digital sources.

But dont think you're being flamed or bashed by me - quite the opposite.

I encourage anyone to try any encoding tools and post their findings - just keep them on this thread as its lost its focus on DEV'ing or start your own.

Jonny's doom9 thread will be valuable to everyone who encodes and uses his work - provided he is given a platform to take his work forward - so i would urge people to leave the doom9 thread alone unless you have found something that can help take the program forward and save Jonny some time.

All the best as ever

J.
jonny

Post by jonny »

The fact that you haven't touched an avs script to produce any file that has been pre-filtered before encoding is why I think jonny would class it as a noobie encoding method - especially from digital sources.
you misunderstood me, xxxstarmanxxx

suppose you want to produce a pmp with the size of 600MB.

- is wooolF giving you info on how to hit (or not surpass) a certain size? no
- is wooolF giving you a way to control quality/size? no
- is wooolF giving you a way to evaluate quality? no
- is using some constraints in order to control stuttering? no

the total absence of control about quality/final size make me label it a noob guide, nothing more.
and no one can claim the best, expecially if not being able to handle the base of quality control.
and no one can act like the best encoder in the world, expecially not handling this level of control.

i'm not telling that wooolF work is not useful, but he have surpassed, with his way of acting, the line of trolling
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

jonny wrote:@wooolF:

1) Reply directly to me, if you have something to say. I don't like those type of generic crying.
2) You can impress noobs with your guide, but not me. There is nothing in your guide that guarantee 1-quality 2-no stuttering 3-size control over the final encode. What you claim the best is no more than a noobbish guide.
At least I wont get bashed
I'm near to bash you at doom9.org too.
My advice is to simply keep the distance to the threads i open.
1) I wasn't talking to you in the 1st place... Stop thinking of yourself as a Pro/God and of your users as "noobs".
2) I've replied to this on Doom9. Bottom line, I don't care about size. Guide was made for "noobs", not smartasses... Have a great time developing...
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/
jonny

Post by jonny »

1) I wasn't talking to you in the 1st place... Stop thinking of yourself as a Pro/God and of your users as "noobs".
i never told my users are noobs, i'm telling you (wooolF) are a troll
I've replied to this on Doom9
i'm requesting the doom9 thread to be closed
Guide was made for "noobs", not smartasses...
what happen to a "noob" when he discover his encode surpass 1GB and can't be putted on memstick?
that should be clear in a guide made for "noobs"
Have a great time developing
have a great time trolling

EDIT:

also note that i have never judge your guide, before this really latest messages (i'm simply doing what YOU have done with the others users).
Last edited by jonny on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonny

Post by jonny »

--- this message was a bad edit i've quoted intead of editing ---
Matrixdub

Post by Matrixdub »

FIGHT!
psp360

Post by psp360 »

WOW...I leave the scene for a few days and come back to see a mini war...OMG...jonny I have the utmost respect for what you have done for the PSP scene…and you have always been about improving and sharing…where is all this bad vide coming from? wooolF you have been doing a lot when it came to provided us with info on what works and what doesn’t work for you in your encoding...you have saved me a few hours well in my attempts at movie heaven…I would hate to see all this work go to waste, but as jonny it the thread creator (putting it mildly) please follow the rules as it is for ALL our benefit. I apologize if I am comment on something that I should not…I just want us to work together as a team! Anyway, jonny I was over on a different tread and I am seeing that there may be some collaboration between your PMP and ~fluff’s Psix, I hope we don’t loss you for to long…KEEP up the good work
psp360

Post by psp360 »

WOW...I leave the scene for a few days and come back to see a mini war...OMG...jonny I have the utmost respect for what you have done for the PSP scene…and you have always been about improving and sharing…where is all this bad vide coming from? wooolF you have been doing a lot when it came to provided us with info on what works and what doesn’t work for you in your encoding...you have saved me a few hours well in my attempts at movie heaven…I would hate to see all this work go to waste, but as jonny it the thread creator (putting it mildly) please follow the rules as it is for ALL our benefit. I apologize if I am comment on something that I should not…I just want us to work together as a team! Anyway, jonny I was over on a different tread and I am seeing that there may be some collaboration between your PMP and ~fluff’s Psix, I hope we don’t loss you for to long…KEEP up the good work
imutau

Post by imutau »

Yeah all this back biting is kinda getting out of control. The best way to get out of a fight is to avoid the possibilty of having one.

As far as I can tell slinging words like noob and troll have nothing to do with encoding video/audio or debugging/error reporting of software. It smacks of Elite-ism which sorta rubs me the wrong way when we are talking about software that should be enjoyed by all and allow everyone to participate in a "constructive", "well behaved" manner.

So if we all can get back on point and do what we can for this project from dev'ing on the core, helping with optimization of encodes or just to swing by to say "THANKS!" or "You guys ROCK!" (which you do.) it all just helps the PSP scene. But I agree it should all be done in it's proper threads which is what this whole arguement stems from.

Lastly for all those who have helped with this project THANK YOU! I'd name all of you if I could but this PMP has so many people attached to it, that I think have done such great things I'd be ashamed if I missed anyone. Also another big thank you to all those who have helped me out when I had questions. It's really great when you get a response that fixes your problem.

I'll shut up now and sorry for wasting so much space on an opinion piece. Maybe we should have a thread for that too? (j/k..)
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

Thanks for agreeing with me Jonny. And I fully understand why Wooolf is suddenly looking like a troll.

I had myself thought good of him until the point where he inadvertently called my file not upto snuff. Whatever the heck was that opinion without me asking for it, even I don't understand why he'd do it. And especially coming from him who was asking for tutorials in my PM's felt really odd and being full of himself. I rightfully told him so!

It doesn't require a rocket scientist to figure out why Jonny's pissed at this guy. Look at the last 4-5 pages. The dude is even answering some questions that were addressed to Jonny in the first place. Now how the heck is Jonny supposed to react? He who worked day night for this amazing software. Wooolf just hijacked this thread into his own and began answering questions as if it were his blog. And like Jonny clearly mentioned turned the goal of his development thread into 'utopy for quality'.

In one of my posts, I 'never' asked for anyones opinion on my video but did make sure it is known that the source was of the same quality as the output. Yet Wooolf blatantly called it 'bleh' without understanding the variables involved. That pissed me off too(heck should piss off anyone!). Jonny rightfully called him a troll because he is trying to steal Jonny's thunder. Jonny worked hard for this Mod and deserves to get all the praise for this thread and also make the decisions for his own made threads. I'm dead sure even moderators would agree on that.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

imutau wrote:As far as I can tell slinging words like noob and troll have nothing to do with encoding video/audio or debugging/error reporting of software. It smacks of Elite-ism which sorta rubs me the wrong way when we are talking about software that should be enjoyed by all and allow everyone to participate in a "constructive", "well behaved" manner.
There's nothing wrong with participating in a constructive and well-behaved manner. However, wooolF's participation in this thread has broken all kinds of normal netiquette rules, such as quadruple-posting and thread-hijacking. I'm sure he meant well and to be informative, but as with everything in life, there's a right way and a wrong way to do things.
jonny

Post by jonny »

thanks yoshaw.

i add my last words about this, to clarify things:

- wooolF is gone to comment/discuss with yoshaw in a way i don't like.
- i've expressed a clear opinion about this.

- i've opened a new thread at doom9.org, with the target of hosting video related discussion.
- i've asked to everyone with a guide or an encoding gui, to open a new thread at doom9 and drop me a PM in order to index relevant discussions in the main thread.
- wooolF had dropped a message directly in the thread, containing only a link to his guide. there is no respect on this, this is trolling.
- he have also complained here:
- and he have spread misinformation:

i'm sorry but this break the limit.
at this point, and ONLY at this point, i've commented his guide and used the words "troll" and "noob"
i still think i've reacted in soft way

i want to specify that i really appreciate the contribute of users in this thread and that all my angry is directed to wooolF, and only wooolF

Now, let's see if this thread can return in the correct direction.
The thread at doom9 will not be closed for now, at least if wooolF's hijacking will stop.
So my invitation to discuss video/audio related things is still valid to everyone (there are probably 5 days to wait after registration, before posting at doom9, but i'm sure everyone intersted to learn will love the info contained in the forum).

I am seeing that there may be some collaboration between your PMP and ~fluff’s Psix, I hope we don’t loss you for to long KEEP up the good work
I know Fluff is working on a pmp module, using the pmpmod core.
You'll be able to use it as a standalone program and it will be obviously released under gpl.
I've only talked to Fluff about the things above, i'm not actively partecipating to this.
Sorted

Post by Sorted »

Whose afraid of the big bad woolf?

Well i have some time for the guy, he has clearly put in a lot of effort to help everyone out and has probably done more encodes than all of us put together!!!!.

So lets cut the guy some slack and hope he feels able to post again he is obviously very enthusiastic about PMP MOD and that should be encouraged.

u can try out his guides or not choice is yours.

i saw nothing in any post he has made that would suggest he is trying to steal anyones thunder, he is just ultra keen.
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

jonny wrote:I know Fluff is working on a pmp module, using the pmpmod core.
You'll be able to use it as a standalone program and it will be obviously released under gpl.
I've only talked to Fluff about the things above, i'm not actively partecipating to this.
If one were to use PMP Mod in this manner, would Psix be using resources that would otherwise be allocated to PMP Mod?
jonny

Post by jonny »

I don't know the details about this.
I can imagine the module will be also called from Psix, so there would probably be less memory free for the pmp video/audio buffers.
You should direct your question to Fluff, to know the details.
(anyway i'm curious to see eventual changes in the interface)
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

Last edited by Pit0711 on Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

hi jonny,

do you think it s possible to support interlace divx 5.2 in pmpmod..?
i would like to see the result, it s perhaps a solution for safe biterate...
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Hey Jonny, I´ve got some news for you....
YOU ARE FAMOUS NOW !!! No kidding !!!!

Here in Germany the No.1 Magazine for PC Users and Semi-Pros is called C´T (which stands for Computer and Technics).
I just got the newest magazine issue here at the local train station (officially the release is on monday). And guess what, inside is a t-w-o s-i-d-e-s article just about your PMP-Mod Player.... this is even part of the cover "Encoding movies for the PSP".

So if you haven´t been, you are officially a superstar now.... :) Enjoy !!!
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

the report is on page 220 :-)
http://www.heise.de/ct/inhalt.shtml
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Nice world ... hehe

Hey, should someone scan it or maybe translate, some parts.... ??? No, no, this would be not legal.

Just read it, nice encoding tut in there, maybe we can give it a comment over Doom9,,,,