PMP Mod V1.02 / small mods

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

k0nan

Post by k0nan »

Twice yesterday when I started PMP M4g3, it just showed a blank blue screen and locked the PSP (reminded me of the dreaded Windows BSOD). I had to do a full power-down/restart. Hadn't happened before, hasn't happened since. Just figured I'd mention it, but it might just be my PSP/memstick acting buggy. PMP Mod has drastically reduced the expected life of my memstick as I'm now reflashing a full 1GB twice a day with xvid goodies for my train commutes. :) Keep up the great work guys!
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Got same problems as k0nan... Had it twice, PSP showed BSOD, waited like 5 secs and died. Both times were after gaming (maybe memory issues?).

Keep on dancin' >:)-\-<
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Did this happen during playback or while in the file list? I had myself two episodes of naruto hanging pmpmod at a specific position, but I thought it was a encoding error, as there also were some wrong decoded blocks displayed.

If its in the file list, I'd like to get some information on how many files there were in the file list, if any were selected for playlist and if there were already videos played and just any other circumstance that was different than usual.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

For me it happened just when you launch PMP Mod... First I see that completely blue screen, then it hangs there for some secs and dies on me.

There were some files (PMPs and POSs) in the list, they played fine before.
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

k0nan

Post by k0nan »

This happened at application start-up both times, 4 pmp's in my video directory.

Now that I think of it, I did use UMD Emu for the first time in months yesterday both times before the problem occured, I have an inkling that this was related.
kaveman

Post by kaveman »

something i've noticed (but am not too bothered about) is after playing a few vids, (xvid @24fps @600kbps average, some high detail scenes) 2-3 videos will play fine, then the next will stutter. if i exit the player, restart, then the stuttering is gone.

i'm guessing some kind of memory leak? anyway, it's not a big issue in the scheme of things, as i said, a restart fixes it.

i went straight for the m4g3 version btw, haven't tried the 1.02 original - it might be there too.

i'm aware this is all ongoing development stuff, and in that respect, understand stuff isn't 100%.

just thought i'd let ya know ;)
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Sounds like the allocation of the skin texture fails and then crashes the program. I just noticed this is one allocation I didn't properly check to not fail. Well, I'll fix that and hopefully I'll also get the font rendering to work soon so I can start on the new GUI and also some subtitle support.
Still miles to go though :(
csuper

Post by csuper »

wooolF wrote:Got same problems as k0nan... Had it twice, PSP showed BSOD, waited like 5 secs and died. Both times were after gaming (maybe memory issues?).
I confirm that using another homebrew BEFORE PMP Mod I've got the same problem... The PSP stuck than reboot...

Anyway, I use most of the time my PSP to watch video :) so...

Csuper.

Ps : so Is their some advance on the inside sleep fonction... ?
(yep my own personnal crusade... :) ... I'm so lame... ;) Ciao Boys.
-----------
Now using PMP Mod 1.02 with some nice FPS gain with my slow SONY MS...
Thanx Jonny ! & Malloc ! & Raphael !
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

i can confirm that you will get an error (probably!) when you have 6 videos..

btw 5 or less works just fine

you will get this

Error:
"pmp_lib_open: malloc_64 failed on aud index"
Press X

i think i have already posted this kind of error?

another:

After I encountered this error, when i tried deleting the 6th file, the POS file of it just keep coming back with 0kb size

already happened to me before
kaveman

Post by kaveman »

kaveman wrote:something i've noticed (but am not too bothered about) is after playing a few vids, (xvid @24fps @600kbps average, some high detail scenes) 2-3 videos will play fine, then the next will stutter. if i exit the player, restart, then the stuttering is gone.

i'm guessing some kind of memory leak? anyway, it's not a big issue in the scheme of things, as i said, a restart fixes it.

i went straight for the m4g3 version btw, haven't tried the 1.02 original - it might be there too.

i'm aware this is all ongoing development stuff, and in that respect, understand stuff isn't 100%.

just thought i'd let ya know ;)

okay - just an update on this - i've recreated the conditions of this issue in both the m4g3 and 1.02 original from jonny, but the problem is actually something i'm doing myself. my bad.

as i've been testing numerous encoding settings deliberately switching from video to video to compare scenes from one encode to another, i'm commonly starting files right during complex scenes to see how they've been encoded. as a result, and due to a lack of pre-buffering, having gone straight in at a busy scene, the playback stutters until the buffer gets full.

when restarting the player, the player tends to delay before playing the videos as the buffer fills which eliminates the problem, so it's kind of a non-issue, as i know there are many optimisations yet to come....
jonny

Post by jonny »

yep, seeking on an heavy scene have this issue.
i was thinking to insert 0.5-1 second of pause after the release of a seek key (this will help filling the buffer a bit)
i'm still not 100% convinced with this
(anyway is not a bit issue, manually pausing for a sec should be enough as a dirty trick ;)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@ Raphael:
Have you seen this : http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/pmp-mo ... layer.html
Pretty neat =)

EDIT: Never mind, it's already posted on this board : http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4959 =)

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yep, I already noticed, sounds very nice, I regret I cannot test it at all because I got no AP :(
I will try to integrate the code with the next GUI version if possible, or at least release two versions. However atm I'm still stuck with proper subtitle support and getting argandonas video overlay added. I hope I can work on this more the next days and probably get something released before the weekend :)

Happy Valentine's everyone ;)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Sounds great :) Happy Valentine's all =)

manchestorunited

Post by manchestorunited »

New Feature Requests:

1. A GoTo function similar to the regular psp video playback
2. An option to save different video positions for future reference
therock003

Post by therock003 »

Raphael

I found a bug,i'm using the m4g3 and when i send files and refresh the list i refreshes the used space but not the free.Hence i do not know how much free space i have left,and that's an issue for me.
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

malloc wrote:That was fast Raphael :) It's cool !

About the battery level I was thinking of displaying it also on the infobar during play, with a precise % remaining (or a graphic with steps of 5 or 10 % max) -> because this is the main problem with the PSP, you have to get to the system info menu to get a precise battery level...
Raphael you seam to have time to work on this project (I have only a small amount of time on the weekends to do so myself :( ), so if you want to add it, you know what to do ;)

I found a (really) tiny bug : the memory stick free space is not refreshed when START is pressed after copying new files.
That was already mentioned by malloc...
noobee one kenobi

HEllp!!

Post by noobee one kenobi »

hi everybody! can you help me, how do you install pmp mod to your psp? where do you put the PMPMOD% folder and the PMPMOD folder? also can you explain to me where you put the video files? do you need to convert all vid files into pmp format to play them with pmpmod or can you play like avi and mpg files on pmpmod? thanx so much, i know im a total noob with this stuff!!
csuper

Post by csuper »

Ps : you're answer is not in the right THREAD so don't bother answering... thanx.

Anyway... MS is your Memory Sitck directory...

Install :
MS:\PSP\GAME\
-> PMPMOD%
-> PMPMOD

Videos :
MS:\PSP
create a VIDEO directory
Then copy your PMP encoded files
-> MS:\PSP\VIDEO

No, you can't play "directly" your video files you need to encode them with PMP MOD encoder in XVID/MP3 (look the internet you'll find some tools that do the all thing for you...)

csuper.
logaen

Post by logaen »

I would have some advices for you programmers (great work Jonny!!)

- It would be usefull, handy and quick to switch off/standby by the switch on/off key when viewing a video and as well when being in a program.

- I would like to be able to disable for playing a video from the point where it has been interrupted (resume)

- Using PSP to watch a music video it would be more comfortable that when the program finshes playing the video would automatically go to the following file and so on. ( i have tried to use "argandona" version with the playlist managing ... but it is not that comfortable to select files one by one
especially if they get to be more than 20.
Once selected the files (with a lot of patience) and started playing a video if you want to turn off the PSP you have to skièp one by one all the clips from the play sit and only after that you will be able to turn it off.
All this make it very complicated and not comfortable and even buthering.

For the rest PMP Mod player is one of the best and useful homebrew software ever realized.

Thank you all! ;)
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

logaen wrote:I would have some advices for you programmers (great work Jonny!!)

- It would be usefull, handy and quick to switch off/standby by the switch on/off key when viewing a video and as well when being in a program.

- I would like to be able to disable for playing a video from the point where it has been interrupted (resume)

- Using PSP to watch a music video it would be more comfortable that when the program finshes playing the video would automatically go to the following file and so on. ( i have tried to use "argandona" version with the playlist managing ... but it is not that comfortable to select files one by one
Once selected the files (with a lot of patience) and started playing a video if you want to turn off the PSP you have to skièp one by one all the clips from the play sit and only after that you will be able to turn it off.

For the rest PMP Mod player is one of the best and useful homebrew software ever realized.

Thank you all! ;)
first of all, i think sleep mode is not currently supported...
and that's the only fact you have mentioned because....

second, resume is supported.... you can resume by pressing X button rather than O button in file selection
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

k0nan wrote:I can also confirm the ticking/popping on my own 900kpbs xvid encodes, I'm going to test the earlier mods to determine whether it's only related to M3. (edit - I was previously running 1100kbps divx files with no problem, so this may be an xvid-only issue.)

malloc, great work on the mods! I think the easiest way to spot this audio issue going forward is to use jonny's SP2 trailer encode as our control sample (first time I used those words since high school chem lol). Using M3, you'll hear the ticking near the 2:00min mark where the action gets heavy (it differed slightly scene-to-scene each time I played it back as to when the ticking was audible, but it was prevalent in each try).

In the mean time, I'm going to switch back to M1 or M2 temporarily to run more divx/xvid tests, but I'll definitely miss the nice interface. Keep up the great work malloc!
From my own tests - This seems to be due to the audio keeping up with the Xvid codec - if you do a low xvid encode of around 400kbs - the problem is not present - I guess this is just due to the high demand that xvid puts on the cpu or divx/3ivx.

This will probably go once jonny and the guys gets the frames up!

All the best.

J.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Back from holidays with my girlfriend and back to coding finally. Sorry to keep you waiting, but the subtitle support is more problematic than I thought, because of finding a proper way to do the font bordering. But I'm up to it.
logaen wrote:I would have some advices for you programmers (great work Jonny!!)

I already know about the lack of this function, but it's problematic to implement ATM because of the use of ME (read the other thread by Yoyofr, he has the same problem getting to sleep mode when also using the ME)
logaen wrote: - I would like to be able to disable for playing a video from the point where it has been interrupted (resume)
As already answered twice in this thread, there are the O and the X button to start a video, where the X uses the resume function by malloc and O skips the resume and starts the video from the beginning.
logaen wrote: - Using PSP to watch a music video it would be more comfortable that when the program finshes playing the video would automatically go to the following file and so on. ( i have tried to use "argandona" version with the playlist managing ... but it is not that comfortable to select files one by one
That's very true and I already found that quite uncomfortable myself when trying to watch 4-5 Naruto Episodes in a row. However, atm I'm concentrating at the other problems and the GUI first, because for the final GUI I'll implement more playback options (loop, etc.) and a better playlist support anyway. Probably I'll at least add a quick 'quit playlist playback' button for now, since that's the most unconvenient thing now.

Thanks for the feedback anyway :)
happycoding

Post by happycoding »

Raphael wrote:@therock003:
I also liked the icon view very much, however it's harder to implement, since you need to open every video and generate the first frame to be used as icon and blit it scaled down on screen and all this for every screen refresh. At least the decode of the first frame is a problem for me, as I'm not to familiar with the way jonny generates the frames, but with the current functions it would be total overkill, since the whole framebuffer of 1s is allocated at start, which isn't needed for getting only the first frame. Maybe jonny can help and provide a quick and dirty pmp_get_first_frame function :)

@jo2k: yeah, that's cause I'm from Germany and use 24h format only :) didn't think of the 12h format overlapping... even though I was aware that the string would be longer... silly bug of me

Anyway, here's another update with non-overlapping 12h time display and.... tadam... simple playlist support.
Just press triangle to add items to playlist or remove them. Playlist is ordered on how you select the files, ie. first selected file gets placed first in list. You can change the order by selecting a file and pressing L to move it one place down and R for one place up in the list. The current playlist position is shown below video information.

EDIT: A list of all features over mallocs M4.01:
-GUI (thus naming it M4.01g1) with graphics by argandona
-file list also shows filesize and date, total size of all videos and total amount of free space on MS
-pressing O will start video with ignoring any .POS file for that video
-USB disconnect now only happens during playback, was kind of annoying when uploading files to stick, pressing Start to refresh and then the USB got disconnected and closed open Folders in Windows
-fixed the displaybug with infobars when the width of a video wasn't a exact multiple of slicesize (32), eg. on 360x272 videos
-made infobars 50% transparent to still be able to read subtitles
-battery meter in file list (25% accuracy) and infobar (6% accuracy)
-video information in file list (resolution, fps, playtime)
-simple playlist functionality using Triangle button to add/remove and L/R to reorder list

Known Bugs:
- timedisplay isn't correctly applying timezone
- Free space isn't updated after refresh

Binary
Source
Is the free space bug fixed?

EDIT. I tested PMPMOD_1_02_M4g3_argandona_src and knew that it is fixed. But I don't know how it is fix. Could you please tell me? Thank you!
Last edited by happycoding on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logaen

Post by logaen »

Raphael wrote: That's very true and I already found that quite uncomfortable myself when trying to watch 4-5 Naruto Episodes in a row. However, atm I'm concentrating at the other problems and the GUI first, because for the final GUI I'll implement more playback options (loop, etc.) and a better playlist support anyway. Probably I'll at least add a quick 'quit playlist playback' button for now, since that's the most unconvenient thing now.

Thanks for the feedback anyway :)
Well done Raphael ;) thanx for your reaply .... hope to see a new rel of psp mod!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

happycoding wrote: Is the free space bug fixed?

EDIT. I tested PMPMOD_1_02_M4g3_argandona_src and knew that it is fixed. But I don't know how it is fix. Could you please tell me? Thank you!
No it's not fixed yet. The timedisplay bug was finally fixed with 1.02M4g3, but I still couldn't find the reason why the free space function won't update correctly.
happycoding

Post by happycoding »

@Raphael
I noticed you used "sceIoSync("msfat0:", 1)" and "sceIoDevctl("ms0:", 0x02425818, &pbuf, sizeof(pbuf), 0, 0)" to get the free space. But there are no *detailed* docs for the two functions:
----pspiofilemgr.h Line 383---
/**
* Synchronise the file data on the device.
* @param device - The device to synchronise (e.g. msfat0:)
* @param unk - Unknown
*/
int sceIoSync(const char *device, unsigned int unk);
-----------
The doc says "Unknown" and actually you used "1".

----pspiofilemgr.h Line 290---
/**
* Send a devctl command to a device.
* @par Example: Sending a simple command to a device (not a real devctl)
* @code
* sceIoDevctl("ms0:", 0x200000, indata, 4, NULL, NULL);
* @endcode
* @param dev - String for the device to send the devctl to (e.g. "ms0:")
* @param cmd - The command to send to the device
* @param indata - A data block to send to the device, if NULL sends no data
* @param inlen - Length of indata, if 0 sends no data
* @param outdata - A data block to receive the result of a command, if NULL receives no data
* @param outlen - Length of outdata, if 0 receives no data
* @return 0 on success, < 0 on error
*/
int sceIoDevctl(const char *dev, unsigned int cmd, void *indata, int inlen, void *outdata, int outlen);
-----------
I don't know what "0x02425818", as a cmd, means. I guess it means "get free space info". Is there a cmd list for other functions? e.g. flush the device.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

That's because I tried some other values for the unknown parameter too and finally stayed at 1 because it didn't seem to make any difference. You could also completely remove the line and it wouldn't change.
The command for the free space was taken from a post somewhere here on the forums, I don't know myself how exactly to read it, but if you ever find a list of the commands anywhere, please tell me about it :)
karnare

about sceIoDevctl()

Post by karnare »

I believe that the function sceIoDevctl() is much more than just getting the free space.You can try to remove it, and then you will find the .pmp which is writed to MS right now via USB cann`t be played any more.
It seems that about 30k bytes(maybe 32k, one cluster?) at the head of the file can be read. WHY?
jbruns

Post by jbruns »

Hey, I'm having audio stuttering problems and I've tested with both PMP 1.02 and Mallocs modified PMP mod. I am encoding 29fps, 704x396 xvid using the following settings:

480x272
QC-VBR
V 768kbps
2 Pass
QMin: 4 QMax: 4
A 128kbps
44100Hz

I get high stuttering in heavy action areas. if I keep everything the same except to decrease the resolution to 360x272 the audio stuttering stops. I was wondering what settings to use to prevent this and also what settings jonny uses for his movie trailers since i get no stuttering from those.